HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 06, 2012, 06:13 PM
United Kingdom, Wales, Swansea
Joined Aug 2012
503 Posts
Question
What ohm-age should they be?

I've got three small motors which I thought were faulty (after crashes), but now I'm not sure it wasn't due to a dodgy ESC?

I've checked the resistance between the wires on all of them, and they fall between 0.4 and 0.6 ohms-ish. Is this OK, and might the problem lie elsewhere e.g the ESC?

The symptoms are jittering oscillations and rapid heating up. I was thinking maybe an ESC has inadvertanly had the timing set wrong.

Motors in question are HK S-Line1612 3200Kv, HK Park250 2200 Kv, and I think a HXT 10g motor.
FlyBoy20 is offline Find More Posts by FlyBoy20
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2012, 11:04 PM
Life begins at transition
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined May 2007
3,580 Posts
How are you checking the resistance? It should be in the thousanths of ohms - not something a multimeter can easily measure, so don't even try!

Have you tried with another ESC? It sounds like a broken phase wire, a dodgy solder joint, popped FET. Something with one phase not working. Given it's on all 3 motors, I'd suggest the ESC or joints are worth looking at.
Odysis is offline Find More Posts by Odysis
Old Dec 07, 2012, 11:29 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,371 Posts
First, stop. Don't keep trying to run the motors or you'll fry the ESC. The jittering-not-spinning condition means that only two of the three phases are connected to the ESC, which is only about half a step shy of a dead short across the leads.

Next, go over any bullets and solder joints to make sure none are loose. Sometimes you can't actually detect a damaged joint, especially with bullet connectors covered in heat shrink, so you have to sort of get your hands dirty to find out. I generally just recommend resoldering them to be sure.

If all the motors have been crashed, then there IS the possibility that they have damaged connections somewhere, possibly in addition to the ESC. Again, check the bullets, and also check where the leads enter the motor to make sure they're not broken down there at all. The 10-gram HXT motor would be a particular suspect as the wiring in those motors is like cheese.
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Dec 08, 2012, 10:00 AM
Joined Aug 2012
503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysis View Post
How are you checking the resistance? It should be in the thousanths of ohms - not something a multimeter can easily measure, so don't even try!

Have you tried with another ESC? It sounds like a broken phase wire, a dodgy solder joint, popped FET. Something with one phase not working. Given it's on all 3 motors, I'd suggest the ESC or joints are worth looking at.
I did use a multimeter, don't know any other way...I also checked the resistance with another working motor, an 1850 Kv on the Radjet - with the same sort of readings?

Anyway, I did resolder the joints on the HK Park250 and now it seems fine. Probably will be the same with the other, but these tiiny wires are a nightmare.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 08:16 PM
Life begins at transition
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined May 2007
3,580 Posts
A multimeter is really only good for 0.1ohm, and even then not all. My $5 cheapy measures a dead short as 0.6ohms!

A milliohmmeter is a special device, capable of measuring down around 0.001ohms.

Good to hear you found the issue with one, hopefully the rest are just as easy.
Odysis is offline Find More Posts by Odysis
Old Dec 08, 2012, 08:58 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
5,170 Posts
Those small motors break wires easily.
Broken, bad connections, or shorted leads show the symptoms you describe.
Attempting to run them for very long WILL fry your ESC.
Then you can't tell what is wrong.
flydiver is online now Find More Posts by flydiver
Old Dec 09, 2012, 07:26 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysis View Post
A multimeter is really only good for 0.1ohm, and even then not all. My $5 cheapy measures a dead short as 0.6ohms!

A milliohmmeter is a special device, capable of measuring down around 0.001ohms.

Good to hear you found the issue with one, hopefully the rest are just as easy.
But it is better than nothing for checking motors.

I use a non-RMS old Fluke (79-II?) and it will do the same thing (showing the resistance in the test leads) but that can be a good thing. I see the 0.6 between the leads, then check a winding and it should be about the same, maybe a little higher. And if the readings are not the same and steady you can spot a bad or intermittent connection.

I can zero on the leads also and it will give me a 0.0 on shorted leads.

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 09, 2012, 08:32 AM
Joined Aug 2012
503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerbes View Post
.I use a non-RMS old Fluke (79-II?) .
Mine's a 25-year old RS Fluke 75 digital (from Radio Shack?) which reads to 3 decimal places. Brilliant piece of kit, but a set of croc clips would be handy as well as the supplied probes.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 09:09 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,650 Posts
I've promised myself that someday I'll get me a RMS meter...

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
RCG Plus Member