Closed Thread
Old Dec 07, 2012, 08:04 AM
I want to go flying!
Joined May 2010
414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL Knifemaker View Post
What is that for??
It generates a six digit number you add to your password. The number is based on algorithms keyed to your account and different every time you push the button.
BE77 Pilot is online now Find More Posts by BE77 Pilot
Old Dec 07, 2012, 08:08 AM
Figure Nine Champ
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BE77 Pilot View Post
It generates a six digit number you add to your password. The number is based on algorithms keyed to your account and different every time you push the button.
Probably it's just a random number based on the time of day and a crypto key programmed during the initialization of the device.. Usually the numbers change every two to 5 minutes. As long as the host and you agree on the time to within that number it's all kosher. Some sites allow the previous seed to be accepted a little beyond the time limit.
madsci_guy is online now Find More Posts by madsci_guy
Old Dec 07, 2012, 08:32 AM
Quincy IL
Joined Jul 2006
502 Posts
Verify your PP account by applying for their PP Mastercard and you do not have to involve a bank account. Works for me. Then I never use their card to pay for anything I buy. I use a Discover card which also does not have access to any bank account.

No way will I allow them access to a checking account.

If you do allow them access to a bank account use a special bank account at a different bank only for that purpose and get it in writing from the bank that there is NO overdraft protection on the special account otherwise the bank will pay out (overdraw) your account right up to there maximum limit.
Hugh P is offline Find More Posts by Hugh P
Old Dec 07, 2012, 08:54 AM
Don't look at me like that....
United States, AR, McDougal
Joined Aug 2005
2,791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usta Bee View Post
I've heard people say they open up a seperate account just for online purchases and only keep what the need to buy stuff in the account at any given time so they don't have to worry about it getting hacked.
Yea a Doctor friend of mine just had to cancel their sons CC after he came home from overseas , when strange charges started showing up. I told them he should have gotten a new account and then dropped it after the tour.

Had my PP connected to home and business, never a problem.
62pilot is offline Find More Posts by 62pilot
Old Dec 07, 2012, 10:18 AM
ὅπερ ἔδει δεῖξαι
Joined May 2000
3,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh P View Post
Verify your PP account by applying for their PP Mastercard and you do not have to involve a bank account. Works for me. Then I never use their card to pay for anything I buy. I use a Discover card which also does not have access to any bank account.
I tried that and it worked for a while. But then after using my preferred card all the time and not using their credit card they cancelled my PayPal credit card for "insufficient use."
After that I could not reapply for a new PP credit card because they said I had already been issued one within that year. They said try again in another year or link a bank account. I said forget it, close the account.

No other legitimate credit card company requires direct access to one's bank account. Sure there are ways to try to work around this but I refuse to do business with companies that try to use strong-arm tactics on me. I also had an instance where PayPal locked my entire account funds of several thousand dollars for 6 months just because a customer was confused about how to use PayPal and backed out of a $20 transaction. PayPal is a racket.
Gerald is offline Find More Posts by Gerald
Last edited by Gerald; Dec 07, 2012 at 10:24 AM.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 10:59 AM
Have Guitar Will Travel
The Digital Domain
Joined Nov 2008
1,367 Posts
The manager of my bank says Pay Pal is as safe and secure a way of making payments as any other (no system is perfect).
She uses it, and that's good enough for me.
TravisBean is offline Find More Posts by TravisBean
Old Dec 07, 2012, 03:58 PM
Will it ever Fly?
United States, SD, Platte
Joined Nov 2011
422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybynight2 View Post
I have been informed by Paypal, that in order to use it, I must Link by Bank Account to my PayPal Account.
I will NOT do this. They state it is safe, but I don't think I need others into my Bank account. Just more chance to have my account hacked.
What would you do, when you hit the Max ceiling to use PayPal.
Do something else? Or give in?
Yes, as of now I still have a couple of hundred I can use up.
I think I will use the credit card for online purchases (I would have done this before if I had known of this.)
And just use Paypal for items bought here, and keep paying PP with my Credit card as I have been.
Then when I unable to use PP anymore I will cancel.
(No wonder I see a few sellers say "Money order, No Paypal")
Flybynight2 is offline Find More Posts by Flybynight2
Old Dec 07, 2012, 04:04 PM
I want to go flying!
Joined May 2010
414 Posts
If you are willing to pay the 3% CC fee you can fund any PP transaction with the CC linked to your account. Just select 'other funding source' at checkout. When you do that you get the protection the CC offers.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 05:14 PM
Let slip the dogs of war!
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Jun 2005
1,699 Posts
I've had PayPal for years; I buy and sell here with no issues. My biggest gripe is that buyers have you over a barrel for 45 days.
Park_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Park_Flyer
Old Dec 07, 2012, 05:27 PM
Will it ever Fly?
Joined Nov 2011
422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park_Flyer View Post
I've had PayPal for years; I buy and sell here with no issues. My biggest gripe is that buyers have you over a barrel for 45 days.
yes, as have I.
But when you reach $10,000 in total use. That is where they require you to link.
Which I think is BS.
Any know about the Google account?
Last edited by Flybynight2; Dec 08, 2012 at 10:17 AM. Reason: correction
Old Dec 07, 2012, 05:40 PM
I want to go flying!
Joined May 2010
414 Posts
Quote:
I thought when they leave positive FB you were done.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 05:53 PM
Let slip the dogs of war!
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Jun 2005
1,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BE77 Pilot View Post
I thought when they leave positive FB you were done.
Not here. Say someone buys a motor, overamps it and it's toast. They COULD come back within 45 days and claim the item was "not as described". You are stuck defending yourself and you will lose.
Park_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Park_Flyer
Old Dec 07, 2012, 07:05 PM
I want to go flying!
Joined May 2010
414 Posts
Quote:
Not here. Say someone buys a motor, overamps it and it's toast. They COULD come back within 45 days and claim the item was "not as described". You are stuck defending yourself and you will lose.
Did not know that, thanks.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 08:51 AM
Will it ever Fly?
Joined Nov 2011
422 Posts
Been doing some digging.
Here is a Link about the verifying of PayPal

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/28/yo...28haggler.html
Closed Thread