SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:16 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,473 Posts
I just added a second drive motor to mine,to encourage the G-62 to start.
Rather than add a larger battery,I'm mounting two motors on the mount,to drive the starter gear..It should save the gear,since now the torque is applied at two points of the ring gear,rather than a lot of torque in one place.

-Oh those experimenters.
epoxyearl is offline Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Water Sports
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:22 PM
United States, MD, North East
Joined Apr 2011
280 Posts
Well, frankly - I get jaded/bored with flying. There is nothing boring about flying but I have a short attention span, so if something is not new or innovative - I tire of it quickly. From that perspective, the idea of twin starter motors is actually really exciting. Let me know how it works out!

Here is a vid of my motor running with the starter.

I programmed an arduino to monitor one of my receiver channels (a 3 pos switch).

Position 1 cuts the throttle and nothing else.

Position 2 first increases throttle to "idle" (currently about 6700 rpm, so I will have to tweak it), then looks at the generator voltage. If the voltage is below 8 volts, it pulses the starter 2 seconds on, 1 second off. Once it starts the generator voltage goes above 8 volts so it just idles.

Position 3 gives throttle control to the PID. Right now I have only tried the PID twice, and it needs a lot of work. The Kp term is too high so it just shuts the motor down (the setpoint is lower than the "idle"... more tweaks....) in soon as it gets control.

At any rate, its fun and I am currently disassembling the whole rig and adding thread lock to everything (it all likes to vibrate apart really quickly without thread lock).

Vid:

Onboard starter trial (0 min 18 sec)
chemnut842 is offline Find More Posts by chemnut842
Old Jan 06, 2013, 08:41 PM
United States, MD, North East
Joined Apr 2011
280 Posts
Hi - I just wanted to post one more time in this thread to say thanks to everyone who has given me advice on this starter. I have started a thread about my hybrid project on FPLAB. So if anyone is curious about how this works out, here is the link.

http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....e-flying-Prius

Again thanks a bunch for all the input!
chemnut842 is offline Find More Posts by chemnut842
Old Jan 07, 2013, 04:06 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,473 Posts
Thanks for YOUR input ,too.
It's always good when there are guys of same interests discussing the whys and wherefores.
epoxyearl is offline Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Water Sports