HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 07, 2012, 08:26 AM
Official Old Git!
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2000
1,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz View Post
OK the guy at Bestbuy just told my mother inlaw that the IPad can't download books from the library. Now is it that it can't read them or just that it can't directly download them? I saw a video where a guy downloaded the books on his computer and then transferred them in with ITunes. Seems straightforward enough though maybe a little hassle.

I've also downloaded Kindle on my IPad 2 but I don't have any books. Seems I can download Kindle books directly either. Is that so?

Also the guy at Bestbuy said the IPad would treat these files like a virus and not allow them to open. Is that true?

Thanks guys!
Mr Wiz - if you have an Amazon account, then using the Kindle reader app go to the Kindle store and download some of the free books.

(Many of the classics are free, and many of the new books are - as authors tend to offer the first one for free in order to get you hooked).

Have fun!
Norman Adlam is offline Find More Posts by Norman Adlam
Old Dec 07, 2012, 09:01 AM
Trons and Fumes
Fallon, NV
Joined Mar 2007
5,033 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Adlam View Post
Mr Wiz - if you have an Amazon account, then using the Kindle reader app go to the Kindle store and download some of the free books.

(Many of the classics are free, and many of the new books are - as authors tend to offer the first one for free in order to get you hooked).

Have fun!
And, as I am finding out with that, there seem to be no requirements for authors whatsoever; even that they use correct words.

The free books, imho, are frequently worth what you pay for them. While storylines may seem interesting, in many cases, the silly homophone spellings used show a lack in primary education. Couple this with poor story flow, and you get what I see in my Kindle; multiple free books that are part of interesting series, where I don't pay even the $0.99 for the second book.
wrightme is offline Find More Posts by wrightme
Old Dec 07, 2012, 09:06 AM
Radix malorum est cupiditas
Joined Jul 2000
460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz View Post
OK the guy at Bestbuy just told my mother inlaw that the IPad can't download books from the library. Now is it that it can't read them or just that it can't directly download them? I saw a video where a guy downloaded the books on his computer and then transferred them in with ITunes. Seems straightforward enough though maybe a little hassle.

I've also downloaded Kindle on my IPad 2 but I don't have any books. Seems I can download Kindle books directly either. Is that so?

Also the guy at Bestbuy said the IPad would treat these files like a virus and not allow them to open. Is that true?

Thanks guys!
As I posted above, one simpler way to get your epubs (library) books to iBooks is to use your computer to access the library, then move them to Dropbox. Install Dropbox on the ipad, open them there into iBooks..

You could also install the nook app on the iPad, it can also read ePub files. There are other non branded ebook reader apps, I use iBooks myself. It will also read PDFs.
radix2 is offline Find More Posts by radix2
Old Dec 07, 2012, 09:07 AM
Official Old Git!
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2000
1,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightme View Post
And, as I am finding out with that, there seem to be no requirements for authors whatsoever; even that they use correct words.

The free books, imho, are frequently worth what you pay for them. While storylines may seem interesting, in many cases, the silly homophone spellings used show a lack in primary education. Couple this with poor story flow, and you get what I see in my Kindle; multiple free books that are part of interesting series, where I don't pay even the $0.99 for the second book.
I've seen that, and also seen some pretty promising (initial) stuff, wrightme.

(I've even taken to edit the books and to correct the spelling, just to stop it irritating me OK, so I'm a bit of an anorak... ).

But hey, you didn't pay a lot for them, and everyone has to start somewhere...
Old Dec 07, 2012, 09:08 AM
Trons and Fumes
Fallon, NV
Joined Mar 2007
5,033 Posts
Quote:
I've seen that, and also seen some pretty promising (initial) stuff, wrightme.

(I've even taken to edit the books and to correct the spelling, just to stop it irritating me OK, so I'm a bit of an anorak... ).

But hey, you didn't pay a lot for them, and everyone has to start somewhere...
I too have seen very promising stuff for free, and those, I sometimes follow through. I seem to have a 'glass ceiling' at about $2.99, and trilogy limit also. Above that cost and number in a series, it better be VERY good.

A recent one that seems on the cusp, was 'Dark Earth' by Jason Halstead. I also read 'Void Hawk' by him, and I chose to not follow the series at $3.99 each. It came close to being there though. If you tend to any sci-fi / fantasy genre, give him a try. He seems to exhibit a unique and creative ability to present a subject in ways that aren't simply copies of standard fare.
Last edited by wrightme; Dec 07, 2012 at 09:13 AM.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 09:34 AM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,451 Posts
You guys have been a bunch of help.

Thanks so much, everyone.
Mike
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Old Dec 07, 2012, 09:54 AM
Official Old Git!
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2000
1,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightme View Post
I too have seen very promising stuff for free, and those, I sometimes follow through. I seem to have a 'glass ceiling' at about $2.99, and trilogy limit also. Above that cost and number in a series, it better be VERY good.

A recent one that seems on the cusp, was 'Dark Earth' by Jason Halstead. I also read 'Void Hawk' by him, and I chose to not follow the series at $3.99 each. It came close to being there though. If you tend to any sci-fi / fantasy genre, give him a try. He seems to exhibit a unique and creative ability to present a subject in ways that aren't simply copies of standard fare.
I've read all of the VoidHawk series.

Basically a good read, apart from the inability of the author to bother to get his darned books proof-read!

Spelling mistakes, wrong words ('her' instead of 'him' etc), gobbledegook sentences in every one of the books. (I've commented such on my reviews, and others have also said the same).

Basically, promising - but he needs to become more professional on his output!

I haven't tried the 'Dark Earth' Series, and am not inclined if it hasn't been proofed.

Try the 'Loadstone' series by Mark Whiteway! They are good cheapies!

If you want a Mega-read of quality Sci-Fi, then Peter F Hamilton is your man (but the big books are 1400 pages! I've read all 10 of his ).

If you want a smaller sample read the Greg Mandel series 'Mindstar Rising' etc.

Treat yourself!
Old Dec 07, 2012, 10:09 AM
Trons and Fumes
Fallon, NV
Joined Mar 2007
5,033 Posts
NA, thanks for the suggestions, I will check them out.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 10:36 AM
29 rods from you in western WI
Joined Jan 2003
4,885 Posts
We talked with a librarian about checking out books on the Kindle Fire HD. She said that many formats wouldn't work, but that most books were also available as PDF, which our reader can view.

They also said that many e-book publishing firms wouldn't even sell to libraries, so the e-catalog will be a small fraction of what's available in dead-tree format.
Karl Bē is offline Find More Posts by Karl Bē
Old Dec 07, 2012, 10:38 AM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,451 Posts
I just called the local district library and they support Kindle, Nook and iPad.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Old Dec 07, 2012, 10:57 AM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,638 Posts
http://www.komando.com/tips/index.aspx?id=13716&page=1

For your consideration
bildo baggins is offline Find More Posts by bildo baggins
Old Dec 07, 2012, 11:39 AM
Restful User
Backwoods Alabama
Joined May 2000
3,861 Posts
Quote:
OK, so I'm a bit of an anorak... ).
Well now, I just learnt a new use of that word-- in Americanish, it's thought of as a hooded furry jacket.

Quote:
VoidHawk
(I've commented such on my reviews, and others have also said the same)
Oh dang, you're also a literary critic?

--Bill
Jacques Flambeau is offline Find More Posts by Jacques Flambeau
Old Dec 07, 2012, 11:48 AM
Official Old Git!
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2000
1,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
Well now, I just learnt a new use of that word-- in Americanish, it's thought of as a hooded furry jacket.

Oh dang, you're also a literary critic?

--Bill
You are indeed correct, Bill!

Used here to represent 'Geeks with glasses' who would wear such things everywhere = a Geek!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anorak_%28slang%29
Old Dec 07, 2012, 04:43 PM
Restful User
Backwoods Alabama
Joined May 2000
3,861 Posts
Ah yes, and to the season should we be wary of geeks bearing gifts?

Sorry. I had to. I was compelled.

--Bill
Jacques Flambeau is offline Find More Posts by Jacques Flambeau
Old Dec 07, 2012, 04:46 PM
Official Old Git!
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2000
1,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
Ah yes, and to the season should we be wary of geeks bearing gifts?

--Bill
Bill, lean forward... *Slap*...