HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 06, 2012, 04:36 PM
United States, OH, Brilliant
Joined Sep 2011
383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyLittle View Post
IIRC you can't convert purchased/encrypted content.
Figured out where I ran into this - ibooks ePub files use fairplay DRM, which wasn't cracked the last time I checked.
CrazyLittle is offline Find More Posts by CrazyLittle
Old Dec 06, 2012, 04:40 PM
Official Old Git!
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2000
1,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightme View Post
Which planet?

Uranus?

Sorry, I couldn't help it. I do NOT mean that as anything except a jest.

</channeling usta>
You don't have to apologise, wrightme... I never take offence to a bit humorous 'poking'!

(I think we all ought to spread a bit more humour about! )

P.S. Hmmm... but you might need treatment to counteract the 'Usta-effect'!
Norman Adlam is online now Find More Posts by Norman Adlam
Old Dec 06, 2012, 04:43 PM
Official Old Git!
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2000
1,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyLittle View Post
Figured out where I ran into this - ibooks ePub files use fairplay DRM, which wasn't cracked the last time I checked.
Have a look at this, CrazyLittle...

http://www.epubsoft.com/how-to-remov...oks-on-pc.html

Don't forget that you must keep any DRM-removed books strictly for your own use.
Norman Adlam is online now Find More Posts by Norman Adlam
Old Dec 06, 2012, 05:12 PM
United States, OH, Brilliant
Joined Sep 2011
383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Adlam View Post

Don't forget that you must keep any DRM-removed books strictly for your own use.
Yeah, gotta find a copy of Requiem, (it was taken down from your link) but I am too lazy to bother at the moment.
CrazyLittle is offline Find More Posts by CrazyLittle
Old Dec 06, 2012, 05:31 PM
Radix malorum est cupiditas
Joined Jul 2000
460 Posts
Quote:

AFAIK any circumventing of DRM is still illegal in the US - the only exception for e-books is to allow text-to-speech - and only for specific works that do not have any DRM versions that allow text-to-speech.

This may be an issue for a person who works in the library field.

And I agree with your view Norman, on what fair-use should allow.
radix2 is offline Find More Posts by radix2
Old Dec 06, 2012, 05:32 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,722 Posts
iPad

That is all
bildo baggins is offline Find More Posts by bildo baggins
Old Dec 06, 2012, 05:48 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightme View Post
Which planet?

Uranus?

Sorry, I couldn't help it. I do NOT mean that as anything except a jest.

</channeling usta>

Would that be a Beau Jest ?.

Sissy....I never apologize when I crack wise.
Usta Bee is online now Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Old Dec 06, 2012, 05:57 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,773 Posts
Quote:
I'd go for the Kindle Paperwhite!

It's an E-Ink display, so it gets better contrast (although it's great anyway) as the external light gets brighter - unlike the illuminated displays (which I think the Fire is). It also comes with a built in light for reading with the light off.

I have a standard pre-paperwhite Kindle, and think it's brilliant.

Nobody seems to be buying those much anymore, either that or they finally got the bugs worked out of the displays going bad, and I don't get calls anymore on defective ones.

The calls I used to get were either for totally blanks screens, or a screen display with black vertical lines through it.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 05:58 PM
Restful User
Backwoods Alabama
Joined May 2000
3,861 Posts
Quote:
Not necessary, Bill!

Just install Calibre (a free and brilliant prog) and convert between the formats!
Ah, good. I'll check into that.

--Bill
Jacques Flambeau is offline Find More Posts by Jacques Flambeau
Old Dec 06, 2012, 06:04 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,773 Posts
Here's my take after handling failure calls on these things:

Nooks freeze up or won't download books.

With Kindles people are somehow breaking the AC adapter/charger port on them and they're not charging anymore.

Ipads have problems with them not charging, same as Ipods.

The #1 failure on these things is from broken screens due to dropping them, get the extended warranty that covers accident damage.

I take failure calls on these things everyday at work, I'll keep an eye out the next week to see what failures are the most popular with each one.

I once took a call from a woman who had liquid damage done to a cell phone.....she dropped it in a bowl of cereal....while driving her car !.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 06:06 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,722 Posts
New one on iPad not taking charge. No probs here
bildo baggins is offline Find More Posts by bildo baggins
Old Dec 06, 2012, 06:09 PM
29 rods from you in western WI
Joined Jan 2003
4,885 Posts
The Domestic Associate just got a Kindle Fire HD. It has a 720p 7" screen and wi-fi connection. Battery life is supposed to be around 9 hours.

She primarily reads books, but also uses it for email and surfing. We've looked at a few movie trailers on it but haven't watched anything else yet. HDMI out allows it to play over our TV if we spring for a cord.

We considered a Nexus 7 for a more open operating system, but she's not looking to load it up with apps and tinker. The Amazon-oriented OS is simple and works well.

Now we just need to find out why all those "free" books she says she's reading have left a $75 hit on our bank account over the last two weeks.
Karl Bē is offline Find More Posts by Karl Bē
Old Dec 06, 2012, 08:52 PM
ὅπερ ἔδει δεῖξαι
Joined May 2000
3,335 Posts
Wife got me a Nook Simple Touch about a year ago. It has the e-ink display and touch screen. For reading books it is just about perfect. I haven't had any problem with it whatsoever. It runs under Android so I tried rooting it to see if having the full Android OS, apps, and web browser available made it any better, but the e-ink display isn't really suited for that kind of stuff so I went back to the factory software. Just use it for a text-based book reader like it was intended. You can find them for about $50 now some places. Tens of thousands of free books are available for it, and thousands more for a buck or so. Or you can get most of the regular store offerings as well.
Gerald is offline Find More Posts by Gerald
Old Dec 07, 2012, 08:12 AM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,621 Posts
OK the guy at Bestbuy just told my mother inlaw that the IPad can't download books from the library. Now is it that it can't read them or just that it can't directly download them? I saw a video where a guy downloaded the books on his computer and then transferred them in with ITunes. Seems straightforward enough though maybe a little hassle.

I've also downloaded Kindle on my IPad 2 but I don't have any books. Seems I can download Kindle books directly either. Is that so?

Also the guy at Bestbuy said the IPad would treat these files like a virus and not allow them to open. Is that true?

Thanks guys!
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Old Dec 07, 2012, 08:18 AM
Figure Nine Champ
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz View Post
OK the guy at Bestbuy just told my mother inlaw that the IPad can't download books from the library. Now is it that it can't read them or just that it can't directly download them? I saw a video where a guy downloaded the books on his computer and then transferred them in with ITunes. Seems straightforward enough though maybe a little hassle.

I've also downloaded Kindle on my IPad 2 but I don't have any books. Seems I can download Kindle books directly either. Is that so?

Also the guy at Bestbuy said the IPad would treat these files like a virus and not allow them to open. Is that true?

Thanks guys!
I'm speaking based on my iPhone experience. If you use Itunes, you can download any format. Whether your iPad knows what they are, is based on what apps you have loaded. I downloaded the Acrobat app to my iPhone for the PDFs I want to read.

So I think as long as you have the correct apps, there won't be a problem.

With the Kindle app, and iTunes, downloading Kindle books from Amazon is a snap.
madsci_guy is online now Find More Posts by madsci_guy