HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:21 PM
USA, TX, Dickinson
Joined Oct 2007
25 Posts
it only has the power of a .46 2 stroke? youre kidding right ? a .46 will not turn a 13x8 prop.
A6TEXAN is offline Find More Posts by A6TEXAN
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:41 PM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,415 Posts
An engine makes significantly less power on gasoline. With spark ignition large props are no problem, the RPM (and power) just drops. Large props lead to overheating and detonation in glow engines because the timing is too far advanced.

Greg
gkamysz is offline Find More Posts by gkamysz
Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:25 AM
Israel, Ramat HaSharon
Joined Nov 2003
1,216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkamysz View Post
An engine makes significantly less power on gasoline. With spark ignition large props are no problem, the RPM (and power) just drops. Large props lead to overheating and detonation in glow engines because the timing is too far advanced.

Greg
Greg,

The so-called ignition advance on a glow engine, is controlled by the mixture strength.
A leaner mixture ignites more easily and the flame propagation in it is faster, than a richer mixture.

Ignition-advance control is the single true function of the needle-valve in a glow engine.

Heavy prop loads (within reason) can be compensated for by setting the mixture richer (and/or by using a colder glow-plug).

On the same amount of air per cycle, a methanol engine will ideally produce 24% more power, compared to a spark-ignition gas engine. This means a glow engine will spin a given prop, 6.2-7.4% faster than a gas engine of identical displacement and design.

But the practice of setting a glow engine a little rich, to protect it from leaning mishaps, reduces the power difference to ~15% and the RPM difference to ~5%.
On the other hand, using more nitro in the fuel can makes the power difference greater.

I believe this .60GX engine will be comparable in its power to the Evolution .52NX.
DarZeelon is online now Find More Posts by DarZeelon
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:06 AM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,415 Posts
Ignition timing in a glow engine is also controlled by compression ratio, glow plug, temperature, and throttle setting.

Greg
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:43 AM
Israel, Ramat HaSharon
Joined Nov 2003
1,216 Posts
Yes it is, Greg.
Of course it is.

But when you have the engine running full-bore, you cannot swap the glow-plug on the fly, or change the C/R...

What you can do is to turn the needle, just as easily as you could rotate the distributor slightly in an older model car, thus changing the ignition advance setting.

For a glow engine this is your immediate timing control.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:52 AM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,415 Posts
Forget it Dar, my point is that you can safely put any prop you like on a gasser and have no problem running it. Try an 18x10 on a ~8cc fourstroke glow and let me know how it goes.

Same old games with you Dar, I'm done.

Greg
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:55 AM
Israel, Ramat HaSharon
Joined Nov 2003
1,216 Posts
It won't go, Greg.

I agree to what you stated, regarding the ability to run big props on spark-ignition engines.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:43 PM
United States, MD, Frostburg
Joined Aug 2008
1,444 Posts
Everyone take one big breath, and two big steps back!!!

This engine interests me greatly as I have a few smaller kits left to build, but I am tired of the cost and mess of glow. Let's keep the discussion focused on this particular engine!

4075aaron is offline Find More Posts by 4075aaron
Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:08 PM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Joined Dec 2012
34 Posts
Since there's been a lot of talk about the power on the engine, here's some numbers we've obtained on various props.

Thanks,
Jimmy

Horizon Hobby, Inc.
Saito, Evolution & Zenoah - Developer
jspauld2 is offline Find More Posts by jspauld2
Last edited by jspauld2; Dec 11, 2012 at 02:35 PM.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 02:52 PM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,415 Posts
Jimmy, thanks for the figures. That's about what I'd expect.

Greg
Old Dec 11, 2012, 04:52 PM
Joined Dec 2012
6 Posts
2 Stroke Smoke

Hey,
I have a .60NX Evolution motor with a pitts muffler on it. I was wondering if smoke would work on it. If so any smoke system that i should use?
Thanks
Snick
SnickNitro is offline Find More Posts by SnickNitro
Old Dec 11, 2012, 05:37 PM
Oklahoma
Joined Aug 2008
672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnickNitro View Post
Hey,
I have a .60NX Evolution motor with a pitts muffler on it. I was wondering if smoke would work on it. If so any smoke system that i should use?
Thanks
Snick
You would probably do better to start a new message on the board rather than tacking onto another subject.
Wingman26 is offline Find More Posts by Wingman26
Old Dec 11, 2012, 07:54 PM
USA, TX, Dickinson
Joined Oct 2007
25 Posts
thanks for your input gkamysz. also thanks jimmy for the chart. all helpful info fellas.
A6TEXAN is offline Find More Posts by A6TEXAN
Old Dec 13, 2012, 06:20 AM
Joined Dec 2006
86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspauld2 View Post
Since there's been a lot of talk about the power on the engine, here's some numbers we've obtained on various props.

Thanks,
Jimmy

Horizon Hobby, Inc.
Saito, Evolution & Zenoah - Developer
Could someone please convert these figures to a power curve i.e. watts vs rpm?

I tried using this calculator:

mvvs.nl/prop-power-calculator.xls

But the graph doesn't look correct.
brw0513_2 is offline Find More Posts by brw0513_2
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:50 AM
Israel, Ramat HaSharon
Joined Nov 2003
1,216 Posts
BRW,

The numbers posted by Jimmy are legitimate.

The output curve is pretty flat... It is turning out .95 HP (709W) on the 12x6 APC @10,500 RPM, 1.04 HP (777W) on the 11x6 APC @11,800 RPM and 1.02 HP (750W) on the 10x6 APC @13,700 RPM.

I don't have the prop index for the Evo props, so I cannot plot-out the numbers.

The HP claims from Horizon seem to be another chapter in the pissing contest...

I challenge Craig and Jimmy to show all of us here, how 1.68 HP @ 16,400 RPM, can be extracted from this engine!