HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 02, 2013, 05:57 PM
Gas Only
USA So. Cal.
Joined Sep 2010
1,078 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hance View Post
Well I can cross doing a dead stick, behind a hill blind, on skis, on a maiden flight off my list of things to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wh1IA...=youtube_gdata
Your blind dead stick landing was better than most of mine when I can see it and am not freezing. Good Job.
Fokker DII is offline Find More Posts by Fokker DII
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2013, 11:20 PM
Engine Category Manager - EVO,
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Aug 2005
250 Posts
Tyor and Hance. What kind of gloves are you guys using that allows you to fly in such cold weather?

Pete
Pete Bergstrom is offline Find More Posts by Pete Bergstrom
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 02, 2013, 11:51 PM
Expo is built into my thumbs
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Bergstrom View Post
Tyor and Hance. What kind of gloves are you guys using that allows you to fly in such cold weather?

Pete
No gloves or transmitter mit for me. I was bare handed just like I am in the summer time. It was actually fairly warm out the temp was around 25F but with the sun shining on you its not bad at all.
Hance is offline Find More Posts by Hance
Old Feb 03, 2013, 01:09 AM
Norway
Joined May 2005
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael88997 View Post
So does it feel like it has plenty of power?
I fell it has plenty of power. hope I can get it to run better

Originally Posted by Pete Bergstrom

Pete

I have gloves on when I am starting the engine and warming it up. Then I take them off when ready to fly. We had sun and no wind yesterday so it was not so cold. Today it`s -20c here. no flying today I think
tyor is online now Find More Posts by tyor
Last edited by tyor; Feb 05, 2013 at 01:52 PM.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:20 AM
Norway
Joined May 2005
50 Posts
I think the cold temperature could be one of the reason i cant get it to run nice. When i landed the plane and touches the engine it is not hotter than i can hold my fingers on the sylindertop
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:37 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hance View Post
Well I can cross doing a dead stick, behind a hill blind, on skis, on a maiden flight off my list of things to do.
What a quote!

Great job by the way!!
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Feb 04, 2013, 06:00 PM
United States, TX, Lewisville
Joined Jan 2011
61 Posts
Ok so I've decided to build a sabre 47 with this, I'm going to use some life packs that have 2 power leads, I'm also running 2.4ghz... With 2 leads should I use a IBEC or anything to reduce noise from the ignition? Still a little confused on this topic
michael88997 is offline Find More Posts by michael88997
Old Feb 04, 2013, 06:12 PM
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
1,170 Posts
Traditionally, ei systems have needed isolation. Whichever way you go, be sure to range check with the engine running and not running and compare. If the range drops significantly with the engine running... the receiver is being desensed by RFI.
AA5BY is online now Find More Posts by AA5BY
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 06:42 PM
Norway
Joined May 2005
50 Posts
I have one 6v nimh pack. and just used a y-lead (i am not shure about the name i english) from the swich. one to the reciver and one to the ignition. have checked the range to be normal
Last edited by tyor; Feb 05, 2013 at 01:52 PM.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 06:50 PM
Joined Jan 2011
61 Posts
ya I was just wondering because that IBEC plugs into the rx so it cancels out the noise, but if you have a different lead do you still get the noise... does the carb on this engine close completely? cause if not I could use that for remote shut down
Old Feb 04, 2013, 08:40 PM
United States, MI, Waterford Charter Township
Joined Aug 2008
1,403 Posts
The bigger gassers started using the Opti switches (or IBEC's) as a back up for closing the carb completely (not always as reliable as it should be?). After getting used to one, you'll likely stop using anything else. They're great for taking care of linkage malfunctions, and will even cut power to the ignition module if they loose signal from the transmitter or a low voltage issue.
ahicks is offline Find More Posts by ahicks
Old Feb 04, 2013, 08:42 PM
United States, MI, Waterford Charter Township
Joined Aug 2008
1,403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyor View Post
I have one 6v nimh pack. and just used a y-lead (i am not shure about the name i english) from the swich. one to the resiver and one to the ignition. have checked the range to be normal
I wouldn't be scared of that set up either - but range checking is a good plan!

Second thought. I wouldn't be scared of that setup if I was sure that NiMh could supply enough power for everything I was running? They are not hard to overwhelm using digital high torque servos!
ahicks is offline Find More Posts by ahicks
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:53 PM
Joined Jan 2011
61 Posts
well I placed a order for a sabre 47 and evo 10gx so I will be trying it out soon... cant wait to get it going
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:55 PM
Norway
Joined May 2005
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post

Second thought. I wouldn't be scared of that setup if I was sure that NiMh could supply enough power for everything I was running? They are not hard to overwhelm using digital high torque servos!
In a plane of the size for this engine I dont think that the power from the servos could be a problem.

I have a 33% yak with digital servos. use nimh in that too. No powerbox, but have 2 batteries and a batshare. In that plane we measured the current in flight. tryed to make the servos work as hard as possible and the max current was 13Ampere. But here i dont use the same batteri for the ignition
Last edited by tyor; Feb 05, 2013 at 12:00 PM.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 04:17 AM
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
1,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post

NiMh are current limited when cold... so they may work in 70-80 temps but not supply adequately at 50..
AA5BY is online now Find More Posts by AA5BY
RCG Plus Member