SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 07, 2012, 12:26 PM
Engine Category Manager - EVO,
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Aug 2005
250 Posts
Hi Gents,

Thanks for all the interest in the new engine.

1. It does come high quality German needle bearing on the bottom end of the conrod that was, as Craig stated, a late in the process change we made to improve your user experience.
2. The recommended fuel of 20:1 gas/oil is a well tested mixture with years of testing behind it. As we do longer term testing with lower oil quantities we might update the recommendation. With an ABC P/L construction some of the extra oil is used as a lubricant between the piston and the cylinder. We have done some testing with lower quantities of oil with little noticeable increase in power output. Yes - there is a little extra oil on the airplane but not nearly the amount of oil from a glow engine with a 5:1 oil ratio.
3. The engines are currently in our warehouse under going final QA inspection and movement through our system. I expect they will be shipping with 10 days or so.
4. Craig Greening is the designer on the Meridian 10cc airplane and has many flights with this engine in his development of the airplane. The two products were designed concurrently to work together so if you are in the hunt for a great airplane check the Meridian out.
5. The plug is a 1/4-32 sized plug (EVOG10350) that will be available at the same time with the engine.

I hope you enjoy this new offering from Evolution. Please keep sending any questions and comments you have to this forum and we'll do our best to answer them for you.

Pete
Pete Bergstrom is offline Find More Posts by Pete Bergstrom
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2012, 03:41 PM
Annapolis, MD
Joined Sep 2009
1,097 Posts
This is a really interesting engine. Needle bearings, regulator built into the carb, ability to run 20:1 gasoline fuel are all very attractive features. That carb interests me the most. After reading the manual it sounds like it works similar to the Cline regulator. Instead of using a pump, muffler pressure is used to force fuel from the tank and the regulator maintains constant fuel pressure. I wish there was a carb like that for glow engines where it is all one unit and no external pump/regulating device (like a Perry or converted Walbro carb) is needed. I think OS offers a regulated carb option on their new 1.05 helicopter engine.

I am currently using a converted Walbro carb as a pump/regulator on my TT .40 Pro. It makes the engine just as reliable as the gasoline burners, but it just does not burn cheap gas/oil mix.

If glow engines were to come with regulated carbs, would there still be a desire to go gas? Just my .02.
Glue Gun is offline Find More Posts by Glue Gun
Last edited by Glue Gun; Dec 07, 2012 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Had to add a thought.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 05:18 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,549 Posts
I sure hope they have rebuild kits for the carbs. The diaphragms and or regulator parts at least. But then maybe it doesn't need it for a long time. Hard to say since it is so new though.
I don't think Saito has the carb parts either so maybe it is a moot point if the Saito gas engine owners aren't having a problem with it.
I don't think Walbro carb parts will fit this one.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Dec 07, 2012, 05:29 PM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Joined Dec 2012
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
I sure hope they have rebuild kits for the carbs. The diaphragms and or regulator parts at least. But then maybe it doesn't need it for a long time. Hard to say since it is so new though.
I don't think Saito has the carb parts either so maybe it is a moot point if the Saito gas engine owners aren't having a problem with it.
I don't think Walbro carb parts will fit this one.
We do have carburetor gasket kits available but haven't had any problems with them during our testing.

And no, Walbro kits will not fit as this is not a Walbro carburetor.
jspauld2 is offline Find More Posts by jspauld2
Old Dec 07, 2012, 09:57 PM
United States, FL, Cocoa
Joined Jan 2006
1,477 Posts
If you're into tinkering I guess I can see the point. I can't use a gallon of fuel in a weekend. I also enjoy the no hassle four dollar ignition replacement cost.
Broken Wings is offline Find More Posts by Broken Wings
Old Dec 08, 2012, 02:48 PM
Bath, PA
Joined Nov 2001
308 Posts
Thinking this would be great on my old Goldberg Cub. Will you guys have a PITTS style muffler for it? I have an old Saito 65 Four Stroke on it, but it's really gummed up and never had the throttle response I was looking for.

I heard it sounds more like a Nitro motor then as gas motor though.

I'm going to give it a go though.
lsnover is offline Find More Posts by lsnover
Old Dec 08, 2012, 03:00 PM
United States, FL, Sarasota
Joined Dec 2010
339 Posts
I wonder if this engine gives out as much HP as say, an OS46AX. I would really to try out my first gas engine. Does it have the same mounting dimensions?
Rcflyyer1 is offline Find More Posts by Rcflyyer1
Old Dec 08, 2012, 03:52 PM
Horizon Hobby Employee
United States, IL, Mahomet
Joined Jun 2006
645 Posts
At least as much power as a .46AX. Mounting dimensions will be very close if not identical, the 10GX uses a .46 sized case.
Craig Greening is online now Find More Posts by Craig Greening
Old Dec 09, 2012, 01:34 AM
Israel, Ramat HaSharon
Joined Nov 2003
1,209 Posts
I believe all smaller Evolution engines are made for Horizon by Sanye in Shenzhen China.
(Craig you may correct my statement if I am wrong)

If this is so and this spark-ignition engine is indeed a conversion of the glow .60NX, the mounting dimensions are identical to those of the Sanye (Evo/Magnum/ASP/SY/SC) medium-block frame, which began its life as an OS.40/46FX clone engine.

It will drop-in where an OS.46AX sat and make significantly more power.
DarZeelon is online now Find More Posts by DarZeelon
Old Dec 09, 2012, 05:53 AM
Joined Dec 2006
86 Posts
The manual is very good and includes a lot of useful information for people new to gas engines - like me

The last sentence on Page 12 of the manual states "See the section on adding a temperature monitor to your engine for the proper positioning of your sensor." There was no later reference, so I hope the final manual includes this info.
brw0513_2 is offline Find More Posts by brw0513_2
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:43 AM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Joined Dec 2012
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsnover View Post
Thinking this would be great on my old Goldberg Cub. Will you guys have a PITTS style muffler for it? I have an old Saito 65 Four Stroke on it, but it's really gummed up and never had the throttle response I was looking for.

I heard it sounds more like a Nitro motor then as gas motor though.

I'm going to give it a go though.
We do not have an Evolution Pitts muffler yet, but the Bisson (BIS05646) does fit just fine.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:45 AM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Joined Dec 2012
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarZeelon View Post

If this is so and this spark-ignition engine is indeed a conversion of the glow .60NX, the mounting dimensions are identical to those of the Sanye (Evo/Magnum/ASP/SY/SC) medium-block frame, which began its life as an OS.40/46FX clone engine.

It will drop-in where an OS.46AX sat and make significantly more power.
This engine will have identical mounting dimensions as the Evolution 0.46 - 0.60NX as well as the equivalent O.S. .40/.46.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:51 AM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Joined Dec 2012
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brw0513_2 View Post
The manual is very good and includes a lot of useful information for people new to gas engines - like me

The last sentence on Page 12 of the manual states "See the section on adding a temperature monitor to your engine for the proper positioning of your sensor." There was no later reference, so I hope the final manual includes this info.
Unfortunately, there are a few typos in our manual. It is not always as easy as it seems to update a manual, but we will do our best to get it fixed!

We will definitely outline the method that we mentioned above as it is a great way to monitor the health of the engine as well as tune the needles.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:52 PM
I'm a pilot... 100 yrs to late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,473 Posts
4 oz lighter than a supertiger 61....but $90 more... i guess easily offset in fuel prices.. windex and paper towels !
Thermalin is offline Find More Posts by Thermalin
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:26 PM
Joined Nov 2012
219 Posts
Wow I want one
I have a primo 40 coming
This would be great in it
Machzx is offline Find More Posts by Machzx