HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:27 AM
Registered User
AA5BY's Avatar
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
1,059 Posts
Looking good... do you know what the weight is?
AA5BY is online now Find More Posts by AA5BY
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:35 AM
Expo is built into my thumbs
Hance's Avatar
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,485 Posts
Its 5 pounds 3 ounces dry. The range for the plane is 4.25 to 4.75. I knew putting gas on it I was going to end up overweight but I think it will be fine. Most planes I have seen come in at the upper end of the weight range anyway.
Hance is online now Find More Posts by Hance
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:38 AM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Joined Dec 2012
34 Posts
I'd love to hear about how your airplane flies Hance. I look forward to your reports!
jspauld2 is offline Find More Posts by jspauld2
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:45 AM
Registered User
AA5BY's Avatar
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
1,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hance View Post
Its 5 pounds 3 ounces dry. The range for the plane is 4.25 to 4.75. I knew putting gas on it I was going to end up overweight but I think it will be fine. Most planes I have seen come in at the upper end of the weight range anyway.
Yeah, it will do fine. Don't hesitate to try an APC 14x4 Funfly prop on it.
AA5BY is online now Find More Posts by AA5BY
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:54 AM
Expo is built into my thumbs
Hance's Avatar
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspauld2 View Post
I'd love to hear about how your airplane flies Hance. I look forward to your reports!
I will be sure and report back here. I am also going to be reviewing it on The Crash Cast podcast at some point. I need to move south about 600 miles then I could fly year round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA5BY View Post
Yeah, it will do fine. Don't hesitate to try an APC 14x4 Funfly prop on it.
Thanks AA5BY I had planned on it. I live at 5500 feet above sea level so I almost always cheat a little on the diameter of props. There just isn't any air up here. I fly close to sea level a few times a year and the difference is amazing.
Hance is online now Find More Posts by Hance
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:25 AM
Registered User
DarZeelon's Avatar
Israel, Ramat HaSharon
Joined Nov 2003
1,155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hance View Post
...I live at 5,500 feet above sea level so I almost always cheat a little on the diameter of props. There just isn't any air up here. I fly close to sea level a few times a year and the difference is amazing.
True and false, Hance.

You really cannot cheat atmospheric pressure and altitude density.

An engine would typically spin a given prop at the same RPM, no matter if it is on Mount Everest, or on the shore of the Dead Sea...
The reduction in air drag on the prop blades at higher altitude, is equal to the reduction in the engine's output at that altitude.

As you go higher, your engine will sound exactly as it did at low altitude; but the strength of the pull you'll feel will be decreased considerably.

You cannot cheat by installing a bigger prop... Remember? The power is down!
Your engine cannot produce enough power to spin it.
If you try using a flatter (low pitch) prop, your plane will simply stall out..
It's another property of higher altitude; a higher true air-speed for a stall to become evident. The IAS at stall will be the same.

If air density at altitude is half its value at S/L, your model will need to fly 41% faster to remain airborne.
DarZeelon is offline Find More Posts by DarZeelon
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:29 PM
Registered User
United States, MD, Frostburg
Joined Aug 2008
1,435 Posts
I think Hance was talking about this:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1919

Please let's not turn this thread into a discussion about prop size/pitch.
4075aaron is offline Find More Posts by 4075aaron
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:46 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2013
88 Posts
I'm strongly considering getting this engine as I'm getting started back into this hobby. I've got three .40 sized OS glow 2 strokes and a 1.20 OS Surpass but they are all from the late 90s so I'm not exactly committed to glow like some of the guys on here. With glow around me at $30/gal after taxes and gas at $7/gal after I get done mixing in the 2 stroke oil... yeah... Going to add up quick.

Is a 6.6v 1100mah LiPo a good battery for the ignition on this thing?
scottydsntknow is offline Find More Posts by scottydsntknow
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:30 PM
Registered User
DarZeelon's Avatar
Israel, Ramat HaSharon
Joined Nov 2003
1,155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4075aaron View Post
I think Hance was talking about this:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1919

Please let's not turn this thread into a discussion about prop size/pitch.
Aaron,


That's really 'comparing apples to oranges'... Even to bananas!

Electric motors produce the same output at any altitude, so changing to a larger prop is not 'cheating'.


But you cannot expect the ability to spin a bigger prop at high altitude, from a naturally aspirated internal combustion engine.
DarZeelon is offline Find More Posts by DarZeelon
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:03 AM
Registered User
DMHIGHFLYER's Avatar
United States, CO, Durango
Joined Feb 2012
317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hance View Post
I will be sure and report back here. I am also going to be reviewing it on The Crash Cast podcast at some point. I need to move south about 600 miles then I could fly year round.



Thanks AA5BY I had planned on it. I live at 5500 feet above sea level so I almost always cheat a little on the diameter of props. There just isn't any air up here. I fly close to sea level a few times a year and the difference is amazing.
I live at 6800ft, engine and prop size have been a problem. I have up sized my engines to run a normal size prop. I have a cub that at sea level you could have nice scale power with a .60 size and I'm running a 26cc gasser. I have a dle 55 and it seems to lose 1000RPM were I'm at. I hope this 10cc will be just right for my .46 size planes.
DMHIGHFLYER is offline Find More Posts by DMHIGHFLYER
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hobbyzone sport cub
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:11 AM
Expo is built into my thumbs
Hance's Avatar
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
I'm strongly considering getting this engine as I'm getting started back into this hobby. I've got three .40 sized OS glow 2 strokes and a 1.20 OS Surpass but they are all from the late 90s so I'm not exactly committed to glow like some of the guys on here. With glow around me at $30/gal after taxes and gas at $7/gal after I get done mixing in the 2 stroke oil... yeah... Going to add up quick.

Is a 6.6v 1100mah LiPo a good battery for the ignition on this thing?
I am using a 1100mah LiFe pack on my ignition. According to Horizon the amp draw at full throttle is 450mah and during more typical flying is 250-300mah. Figuring a generous safety margin the 1100mah pack should be good for two+ hours of flying. I am running separate batteries on the ignition and RX and have two sets of flight batteries for it. I will just put a freshly charge set in the plane each trip to the field and not worry about it. I have a pretty good collection of planes so there is no way I will ever discharge a set of batteries in a single trip to the field.
Hance is online now Find More Posts by Hance
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:18 AM
Expo is built into my thumbs
Hance's Avatar
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMHIGHFLYER View Post
I live at 6800ft, engine and prop size have been a problem. I have up sized my engines to run a normal size prop. I have a cub that at sea level you could have nice scale power with a .60 size and I'm running a 26cc gasser. I have a dle 55 and it seems to lose 1000RPM were I'm at. I hope this 10cc will be just right for my .46 size planes.
The plane I have it on has a 47 inch wingspan and weighs just over 5 pounds dry so its in the ballpark for a 40 size. Performance isn't going to be like some of my 500 watts per pound electric stuff but it should have plenty of performance for what I want from the plane.
Hance is online now Find More Posts by Hance
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:50 AM
Registered User
United States, MD, Frostburg
Joined Aug 2008
1,435 Posts
But this thread is about a new gas engine, right? Can we please stick to the thread topic???


Quote:
Originally Posted by DarZeelon View Post
Aaron,


That's really 'comparing apples to oranges'... Even to bananas!

Electric motors produce the same output at any altitude, so changing to a larger prop is not 'cheating'.


But you cannot expect the ability to spin a bigger prop at high altitude, from a naturally aspirated internal combustion engine.
4075aaron is offline Find More Posts by 4075aaron
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:56 AM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2013
11 Posts
Whoo! Just had my first engine run-in flight! Awesome!!
Does anyone know if this engine needs or benefits from after-run oil?? It's not mentioned in the manual. I guess there's no nitro breakdown products to cause corrosion. I stuck some in anyway this time as I had it to hand...

Now all I need is the flying field to drain off all the snow melt and I'm away!
barneyward is offline Find More Posts by barneyward
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:15 AM
Expo is built into my thumbs
Hance's Avatar
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyward View Post
Now all I need is the flying field to drain off all the snow melt and I'm away!
I feel you pain. I ran about half a tank through mine on the ground yesterday working on the getting the needles dialed in. Now I am stuck waiting for a day to fly. A week ago it was -25 F so cold I didn't even leave the house. Last night at eleven it was 36 and raining
Hance is online now Find More Posts by Hance
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product Hangar 9 Meridian Sport ARF and Evolution 10cc Gas Engine Bajora Sport Planes 268 Sep 15, 2014 11:47 PM
Sold Fox 4.2 cu. in. (70cc) gas engine, electronic ignition, runs great barchiola Aircraft - Fuel - Engines and Accessories (FS/W) 7 Nov 19, 2012 07:07 PM
For Sale Evolution 58cc gas engine with new KS header parts and new Evolution tuned canister Daveyboycfs Aircraft - Fuel - Engines and Accessories (FS/W) 0 Jun 11, 2012 10:07 PM
Sold US Engines NIB 41cc (2.5 cu in) gas engine. REDUCED !! puplover Aircraft - Fuel - Engines and Accessories (FS/W) 0 Oct 15, 2011 01:41 PM
Sold Saito FG-36 4 stroke gas engine (2.2 cu in) James Love Aircraft - Fuel - Engines and Accessories (FS/W) 0 Mar 22, 2011 11:16 PM