HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:53 PM
United States, CO, Durango
Joined Feb 2012
384 Posts
10cc

I was thinking of a Evolution 20cc would be nice, it would be light wieght and would fit nice in a cowl. The Zenoah ZP 20cc, well it wieghs 41.6oz, and has a side carb and cant fit in most cowls. Also its priced at $299.99?? I had one and sold it. The DLE 20cc wieghs 28.9oz with muffler and ignition, rear carb, and sells for 249.99 and fits in alot of cowls with a pitts. I think with the Evo 10cc wieghing 22oz is awesome engine for the .40 to .60 planes. A 20cc would be great for the .91 to 1.20 planes. I think they would give DLE a run for there money!! I have a DLE 20 and 55 and they run great. The 20cc is in a 65" P-51 and flys great!!
DMHIGHFLYER is offline Find More Posts by DMHIGHFLYER
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hobbyzone sport cub
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2013, 01:02 PM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,326 Posts
Earl,
The 15-17cc Chinese gassers I've seen fall right into that category, BUT if you supersize the EVO 10cc to 15cc, that may be another happy meal all together
Pete
pilotpete2 is offline Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Old Jan 13, 2013, 01:44 PM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
2,825 Posts
I would love to see a 15cc and 20cc. I can see myself using mostly those sizes when I retire.
Edwin
edwin1 is online now Find More Posts by edwin1
Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:30 PM
as the name says!
Barbados
Joined Sep 2012
410 Posts
looking to step up to gas after glow
AirplaneFreak100 is offline Find More Posts by AirplaneFreak100
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:30 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
24,023 Posts
Got a question:

How do you pump gasoline?

I was looking online and hand crank pumps, and most all say "glow fuel only". Why is that?

I am aware that silicone tubing is a no-no for gasoline. So I cannot understand Dubro advertising a hand crank pump that they say is for either glow or gas, yet has a silicone pump seal. ??

Are the hand crank pumps really that critical. Could I use one designated for glow, and have it leak immediately? Or only after a couple of years?

This is a new logistical problem for me.
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:36 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,609 Posts
I bought a hand crank fuel pump a week ago at my LHS and it was for both glow and gasoline. Tower sells this one item number LXJGS5

I also use a Dave Brown Six shooter pump (tower # LXB889) for gasoline and they tend to last seemingly forever. Unless you break them somehow. But the Dave brown pump uses a more stiff Tygon tubing and it can be more difficult in the cold winter to crank then.

The hand crank gear pumps work Ok even if it is chilly outside. I haven't had one start leaking yet though, so I think they should hold up OK.

The seals in the pump have to be of a certain type of formulation to work for gas or glow or both.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:44 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,609 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpete2 View Post
Earl,
The 15-17cc Chinese gassers I've seen fall right into that category, BUT if you supersize the EVO 10cc to 15cc, that may be another happy meal all together
Pete
Yeah I think you are correct in that sense.

I have been using the NGH 17cc gas engine and it has worked out really well. It has a lot more power than I expected it to have as well. I have it on a World Super Stunts .60 plane (the big 80 inch wing span model). The engine has performed really well and flies the plane with more power than I normally need. I usually throttle back some in the air too. Albeit it won't hover though, but it comes close, if you keep a little forward momentum with it. The Super Stunts plane doesn't fit a engine much larger than the NGH 17cc engine either, as the motor mounts are also the front nose gear bearing as well. Thus a 1.20 engine would be too wide for the mounts. The 17cc engine is basically a way overbored .60 engine so it fits into many .60 size planes easily, especially with the front mounted Walbro carb on it too. 17cc is really a 1 cubic inch displacement too. So it would be a 1.00 size engine for a airplane with a .60 crankcase size. Smaller than other 1.0x size engines too.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:47 PM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
2,825 Posts
I got my MPI hand crank pump from Max Products, http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-22.html . I dont know how many years I've had it but it works great.
Edwin
edwin1 is online now Find More Posts by edwin1
Old Jan 14, 2013, 02:35 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
24,023 Posts
Thanks guys!
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:53 AM
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
1,441 Posts
+1 on the MPI pumps. Been using one for several years on gas. Ordered two more a few days ago, one to use on the 20:1 fuel can and a spare.

BTW, I've always used a one gal can for my small gas planes and had been using a baby food jar marked at 3.2 oz for the 40:1 mix. When adding a can to provide for the 20:1, I upgraded the 40:1 mix to a two gal can and now use the one gal can for the 20:1. This required an upgrade of the measuring jar, and it got changed to a 6.4oz., which keeps it simple with one measure for either can.

FWIW, I also noted that 6.4 oz is very close to 200 ml.
AA5BY is online now Find More Posts by AA5BY
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:01 AM
United States, NC, Faison
Joined Jan 2011
687 Posts
I now have my engines in my posession!

I was thinking about bolting them right to the frot of the H9 B25J but I have changed my mind. I purchased a Tower Hobbies uproar .40 so I can break them in before mounting to a twin. I may even go with a diffrent twin and sell the H9 B25J. I have an ASM twin in mind and I know where one can be found at a good price so I may just end up doing that instead. I will be putting the uproar together this week and in the air this upcoming weekend if the weather holds up. I just maidened my Staudacher yesterday and man what a sweet plane it is.
rjstrickjr is offline Find More Posts by rjstrickjr
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:08 PM
Pittsburgh Allegheny, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined May 2004
1,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot View Post
Got a question:

How do you pump gasoline?

I was looking online and hand crank pumps, and most all say "glow fuel only". Why is that?

I am aware that silicone tubing is a no-no for gasoline. So I cannot understand Dubro advertising a hand crank pump that they say is for either glow or gas, yet has a silicone pump seal. ??

Are the hand crank pumps really that critical. Could I use one designated for glow, and have it leak immediately? Or only after a couple of years?

This is a new logistical problem for me.

I use Dubro hand pumps. They are fine on gas. I've been using them for a long time. I think one of mine is pushing 12 years old. (I stopped flying glow in 2000)

And... you are right... Si hose is a no-no. You need to use Tygon.

Last thing guys... 91 oct fuel probably isn't the best thing for these little guys. You will probably get more RPM's on regular. (the higher the Oct, the slower the burn) Also... you will probably burn less fuel, and make less mess. With a 2-stroke... if it isn't burnt by the time the exhaust port opens... it goes out. (That's why a good tuned pipe works so well. If forces it back in)

Personally... I run all my "Gas" stuff on Camping fuel. It keeps your toys from smelling like lawn equipment when you bring it home.
Dr Honda is offline Find More Posts by Dr Honda
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:48 AM
United States, NC, Faison
Joined Jan 2011
687 Posts
The uproar is ready to fly.

I will be trying it out on Sunday. The bad news is the way its made it is real nose heavy. I bought 2 NMHI batteries for it both on them are 6V. The way this thing is made there is no room in the fuse at all. the wing slides throught the middle of the fuse and the sevos are mounted to the tray made into the wing. There is some room in front of the servos and behind the tank and thats where the batteries and the rec had to go. I had to mount the ignition box up front on the side outside of the fuse. We will se how it does but it is heavy also. Have a 10 X 6 mounted to the front of it and and 11 X 6 to go on after the first 2 flights. Then the 11 X 7 three blade that will be used on the twin project. PensOil for air cooled engines mixed 20:1 redy to go also.

Will let you konw how it and the motor does in the cold weather
rjstrickjr is offline Find More Posts by rjstrickjr
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:18 AM
United States, CO, Durango
Joined Feb 2012
384 Posts
10cc

I just got my engine and it looks very nice! I'm going to break it in on a 70" EASY STICK that I just built. I saw a guy on youtube just bench running his for break in??? I will follow the manual. I also bought some EVO mix oil for break in. I run Klotz in my other engins, It should be ok for the Evo 10cc??
DMHIGHFLYER is offline Find More Posts by DMHIGHFLYER
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hobbyzone sport cub
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:27 AM
Israel, Ramat HaSharon
Joined Nov 2003
1,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstrickjr View Post
I bought 2 NiMH batteries for it both on them are 6V.
Rjstrickjr,

That's old school!

Years before that, NiCd batteries were heavy. NiMH batteries supply the same voltage and capacity, at half the weight (but their reliability/lifespan is significantly lower).

In the last 3-4 years, Lithium is the way to go, together with a voltage regulator, to bring it down to 5V or 6V. Lithium Polymer are the lightest for the same capacity, but their full voltage is 8.4V for a two-cell pack. They have nearly 10 times the capacity for the same weight as NiCd batteries.
LiFePO4 has half the capacity for the same weight as LiPo, but a lower full voltage (7.2V) and they are bullet-proof and much less sensitive than LiPo. They won't ignite spontaneously either.

For example, you can use this pack, with this regulator.

See how light this whole caboodle is.
DarZeelon is offline Find More Posts by DarZeelon