HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:52 PM
Registered User
Wingman26's Avatar
Oklahoma
Joined Aug 2008
672 Posts
I have one gas engine model, and it put out quite a bit of black goo when it was new, it tapered off substantially as the engine got more time on it. Pretty messy when it was new, no big deal now.
Wingman26 is offline Find More Posts by Wingman26
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:26 PM
Registered User
AA5BY's Avatar
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
1,437 Posts
I believe some part of the goo associated with small gas engines is the quality of combustion. My greatest offender runs a bit rich mid range and runs rich when inverted. New engines tend to get run a little rich breaking in... and then when they are leaned out following break in, the goo naturally diminishes due to better combustion and less fuel burn.
AA5BY is online now Find More Posts by AA5BY
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2012, 06:37 PM
Registered User
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Nov 2011
133 Posts
thanks for the help

Im looking repalce glow with gas I'm hopping this one will be a good running engine I looked into the NGH 9 but there seem to be alot of problems.

I have a sig somethin extra with a os 50sx, seagull edge 540 46 with a saito 72, great planes viper 500 with a os 55ax and a great planes stick 60 with a so 91 4-stroke
dbar101219 is offline Find More Posts by dbar101219
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 07:27 PM
Registered User
rjstrickjr's Avatar
United States, NC, Faison
Joined Jan 2011
687 Posts
New question?????????

Has anyone tried this engine with the pitts muffler? I have 2 of them for a twin project and I also have the pitts mufflers for them so I can keep everthing in the cowls. Any thoughts on the use of pitts mufflers? They are Bisson pitts mufflers.
rjstrickjr is offline Find More Posts by rjstrickjr
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 01, 2013, 01:04 AM
Registered User
DarZeelon's Avatar
Israel, Ramat HaSharon
Joined Nov 2003
1,231 Posts
This makes sense...

Those of you who can remember; when we adjusted the idle circuit in our carburettor equipped cars too rich, the engine did spew out some black smoke from the exhaust.

So, a model gas engine should be no different.
DarZeelon is offline Find More Posts by DarZeelon
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 01, 2013, 09:11 AM
Registered User
earlwb's Avatar
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstrickjr View Post
Has anyone tried this engine with the pitts muffler? I have 2 of them for a twin project and I also have the pitts mufflers for them so I can keep everthing in the cowls. Any thoughts on the use of pitts mufflers? They are Bisson pitts mufflers.
You should not have any problems using a Pitts muffler. But since the Evo 10cc engine does use some muffler pressure you may have to restrict the exhaust outlets a little to increase muffler pressure in some cases. I remember some guys having engine fuel draw problems with some glow engines that had too large of a carburetor (the intake bore or venturi size) on them before. In that case they blocked off or restricted one of the exhaust outlets to get some muffler pressure back. This doesn't occur with all Pitts mufflers, just some of them that have little to no restrictions to the exhaust gasses.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by earlwb; Jan 01, 2013 at 09:12 AM. Reason: typo correction
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 01, 2013, 03:03 PM
Registered User
rjstrickjr's Avatar
United States, NC, Faison
Joined Jan 2011
687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
You should not have any problems using a Pitts muffler. But since the Evo 10cc engine does use some muffler pressure you may have to restrict the exhaust outlets a little to increase muffler pressure in some cases. I remember some guys having engine fuel draw problems with some glow engines that had too large of a carburetor (the intake bore or venturi size) on them before. In that case they blocked off or restricted one of the exhaust outlets to get some muffler pressure back. This doesn't occur with all Pitts mufflers, just some of them that have little to no restrictions to the exhaust gasses.
Thanks Earl!
I had a bisson pitts on a .46 evolution glow motor and had no issues. These bisson pitts are almost identical so I feel pretty good about it.

My mufflers and one engine is in but Horizon didnt ship the second one for some reason. I should have them by the end of the week.

I have been eyeballing those E-Flight electric retract also.
rjstrickjr is offline Find More Posts by rjstrickjr
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 06, 2013, 09:32 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2013
132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspauld2 View Post
Thanks,

Same to you!

Hello,

I'm planning to buy a Evo10CC with the Meridian and have some doubts about the engine regarding fuel:

Does it works with AVGAS (that contains Pb)?

Does the engine have any component sensitive to corrosion or ethanol?

Here in Brazil all gasoline (exept AVGAS) have at least 25% of ethanol in it. The other 2T gasoline engines I know works well with this fuel but I'm worried about longevity of the Evo. If there is any component sensitive to alcohol or corrosion it could be a problem.


Thank you.
brunofporto is offline Find More Posts by brunofporto
Last edited by brunofporto; Jan 07, 2013 at 06:09 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:39 AM
Engine Category Manager - EVO,
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Aug 2005
250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunofporto View Post
Hello,

I'm planning to buy a Evo10CC with the Meridian and have some doubts about the engine regarding fuel:

Does it works with AVGAS (that contains Pb)?

Does the engine have any component sensitive to corrosion or ethanol?

Here in Brazil all gasoline (exept AVGAS) have at least 25% of ethanol in it. The other 2T gasoline engines I know works well with this fuel but I'm worried about longevity of the Evo. If there is any component sensitive to alcohol or corrosion it could be a problem.

Thank you.
There should be no issue with the Avgas, and I suspect your normal pump fuel will work also but the efficiency and fuel usage will increase. All the testing has been done here in the states with mostly fuel that has at least 10% ethanol and there has been no component damage noted in 2-1/2 years. I think this engine will be great for your area.

Pete
Pete Bergstrom is offline Find More Posts by Pete Bergstrom
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:51 AM
EIEIEIO Classic is dway ta go!
flyinwalenda's Avatar
Northeast Pa. .Heyna or No?
Joined Aug 2009
2,090 Posts
I use avgas mostly for the lack of odor when storing after running compared to pump gas and the no methanol too for the carb diaphragms. You won't see any improvement with the higher octane levels but it hasn't damaged my engines and I plan on using it in this one too.
flyinwalenda is online now Find More Posts by flyinwalenda
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 08, 2013, 10:16 AM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2013
132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Bergstrom View Post
There should be no issue with the Avgas, and I suspect your normal pump fuel will work also but the efficiency and fuel usage will increase. All the testing has been done here in the states with mostly fuel that has at least 10% ethanol and there has been no component damage noted in 2-1/2 years. I think this engine will be great for your area.

Pete
That is great news!!! Thank you very much, just bought the engine!
brunofporto is offline Find More Posts by brunofporto
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 08, 2013, 02:20 PM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Mahomet, Illinois
Joined Aug 2007
2,297 Posts
Meridian 10cc ARF by Hangar 9® (2 min 25 sec)


Here's the video of the Meridian, flown using the 10GX.
Dave Eichstedt is offline Find More Posts by Dave Eichstedt
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 08, 2013, 02:59 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2013
132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Eichstedt View Post
Here's the video of the Meridian, flown using the 10GX.
Nice! I think I'll be very happy with this airplane and engine!
brunofporto is offline Find More Posts by brunofporto
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 08, 2013, 03:49 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2013
132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinwalenda View Post
I use avgas mostly for the lack of odor when storing after running compared to pump gas and the no methanol too for the carb diaphragms. You won't see any improvement with the higher octane levels but it hasn't damaged my engines and I plan on using it in this one too.
Thank you! I have access to AVGAS but I think it would be complicated to obtain - It was my best option if I could not use the Gasoline/Ethanol standard pump fuel. Now that I know they tested with Gas/Ethanol it is perfect!

One more doubt... On the manual they suggest to do the break in flying with Cuban eights! I prefer the static on the ground option for safety. Is there any problem doing the static break in?
brunofporto is offline Find More Posts by brunofporto
Last edited by brunofporto; Jan 08, 2013 at 05:24 PM. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 08, 2013, 05:06 PM
Grumpa Tom
Kmot's Avatar
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
24,015 Posts
Airframe looks pretty clean after a flight.
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product Hangar 9 Meridian Sport ARF and Evolution 10cc Gas Engine Bajora Sport Planes 308 Dec 09, 2014 12:03 PM
Sold Fox 4.2 cu. in. (70cc) gas engine, electronic ignition, runs great barchiola Aircraft - Fuel - Engines and Accessories (FS/W) 7 Nov 19, 2012 08:07 PM
For Sale Evolution 58cc gas engine with new KS header parts and new Evolution tuned canister Daveyboycfs Aircraft - Fuel - Engines and Accessories (FS/W) 0 Jun 11, 2012 11:07 PM
Sold US Engines NIB 41cc (2.5 cu in) gas engine. REDUCED !! puplover Aircraft - Fuel - Engines and Accessories (FS/W) 0 Oct 15, 2011 02:41 PM
Sold Saito FG-36 4 stroke gas engine (2.2 cu in) James Love Aircraft - Fuel - Engines and Accessories (FS/W) 0 Mar 23, 2011 12:16 AM