HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 06, 2012, 11:17 AM
United States, FL, Valrico
Joined Apr 2012
607 Posts
Help!
Foam Replacement

Crashed my AT6 and I've got some work ahead. The biggest issue is that one of the nylon bolt receivers that hold the wing section to the plane has broken off and I lost a chunk of foam that anchored it. Any suggestions on how best to replace the lost foam? This is a critical repair as there are only three bolts holding this major structural component to the fuselage.

Has anyone tried using the builders spray foam. I could see shooting a bit into the area and then shaping it after it has expanded and cured. The stuff is super sticky and fairly dense after it has dried. It would maximize the contact patch as it would expand into every nook and cranny.

Here's a pic of the damage. Thanks for any feedback.
LowSpeedStall is offline Find More Posts by LowSpeedStall
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2012, 12:04 PM
I think I'm inverted. Maybe.
United States, CA, Pacifica
Joined Apr 2012
1,509 Posts
I have tried that buildres foam, and found it was too soft to be of any use... now, for gap filling like that, I use this stuff:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1781592
acetech09 is offline Find More Posts by acetech09
Old Dec 06, 2012, 12:22 PM
Suspended Account
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Nov 2003
554 Posts
My suggestion is to cut out the foam and replace it with a balsa block and use 5min Epoxy to install, drill a hole for the wing mount Tap the hole for your wing bolt then use thin CA to harden the threads. very easy fix, be sure to put something under the hole so CA doesnt touch the foam use a piece of cardboard or scrap balsa. hope this helps
warbirdguyn951 is offline Find More Posts by warbirdguyn951
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 06, 2012, 06:32 PM
Joined Apr 2012
607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCforithobbies View Post
My suggestion is to cut out the foam and replace it with a balsa block and use 5min Epoxy to install, drill a hole for the wing mount Tap the hole for your wing bolt then use thin CA to harden the threads. very easy fix, be sure to put something under the hole so CA doesnt touch the foam use a piece of cardboard or scrap balsa. hope this helps
I like it! I think that would make a very strong base. I don't have any taps but an alternative would be to use a screw instead of the original bolt. I have the thin CA from a model rocket project and have tested it on a scrap of foam. I can see why you added the warning - melts right through. Thanks.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 06:46 PM
Joined Apr 2012
607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acetech09 View Post
I have tried that buildres foam, and found it was too soft to be of any use... now, for gap filling like that, I use this stuff:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1781592
Thanks. Very interesting. I may try this first.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 07:07 PM
I think I'm inverted. Maybe.
United States, CA, Pacifica
Joined Apr 2012
1,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowSpeedStall View Post
Thanks. Very interesting. I may try this first.

I use strapping tape to contain the glue. Put enough tape so you can pour it in a 'bowl', then pour the glue in, then tape down on top of that. The glue will want to push the tape outwards, but every few minutes just push back and smooth it out until it stops expanding.
acetech09 is offline Find More Posts by acetech09