HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 06, 2012, 10:16 AM
I Fly!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jan 2011
1,049 Posts
Discussion
Modifying Hobbyzone / Parkzone / Eflight RTF Transmitters

So has anyone done anything with these little RTF Nintendo l;ike transmitter? I wouldn't even bother but my son is flying a Firebird Startos and I noted he keeps trying to steer the plane on the ground with the left stick, like I taught him on his micro planes, and I would like to tie the left stick to the right stick. On our other 3CH planes we can use out DX6i to map the channels, but the Startos is limited to the red transmitter.

My plan is to crack one one of the extra toy transmitters I have and compare it to the Startos internals, if they seem the same I was going to experiment with cross connecting the left stick input across the the right stick with may some wires. Not sure what will happen which is why I'll try it first with a spare and see how our 3CH micro cub works. If anyone has tried this or has any guidance I would appreciate hearing about it.
jrtubb is offline Find More Posts by jrtubb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Building a Sig Herr Air Boss
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2012, 09:55 PM
I Fly!
Joined Jan 2011
1,049 Posts
Ok since I didn't hear anything I decided to experiment at home tonight. I was successful in linking my left (rudder) stick to my right (aileron) stick! I disassembled an old Eflight controller first by removing the back (four screws), sliding out the battery connectors and then removing the circuit card (four screws from the control.

I looked at the gimbal controllers and noted which direction had the rotation for the rudder and aileron movement, which tuned out to be the bottom ones. I then made a jumper wire to experiment with which post, there are 3, that needed to be linked together. As it turned out it was the middle one which immediately linked the two control inputs. Now I needed to solder on the jumper wire on the board. First tin the wire a bit and then very briefly touch the center post connection with the iron. You need to be quick and steady since these connections are very close together. I say unless you are use to working on electronics with heat you might want to find someone who has the experience.

Tomorrow I'll do some test flights with our little micro cub to verify control in flight and no other issues.

Name: DSC07108.jpg
Views: 32
Size: 301.7 KB
Description: Back view with jumper wireName: DSC07113.jpg
Views: 27
Size: 152.8 KB
Description: Close up of back side of left (rudder) connection to center post.Name: DSC07116.jpg
Views: 29
Size: 184.9 KB
Description: Close up of back side of right (aileron) connection to center post.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 06, 2012, 10:33 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
15,741 Posts
My understanding is that the Stratos uses a different transmitter from the UM models and is not compatible with DSM2. One reason, presumably, for going to a different transmitter is to get longer range than the regular little MP4DSM.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Dec 06, 2012, 10:52 PM
I Fly!
Joined Jan 2011
1,049 Posts
Showing the movement is now linked between the two controls.

100 0292 (0 min 44 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2012, 12:02 AM
Joined Sep 2012
263 Posts
What happens when they are both moved in opposite directions at the same time?
JudahBenHur is offline Find More Posts by JudahBenHur
Old Dec 07, 2012, 06:54 AM
I Fly!
Joined Jan 2011
1,049 Posts
Good question, I just checked, the right stick overrides the left stick input. I had full left by rudder and added full right aileron and the control surface moved to from full left to full right.

I decided to do my experiment with a spare transmitter because I know the Stratos is specific to the plane. If they had made this a BNF plane I would be a lot happier.
RCG Plus Member