HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by borntoolate, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 06:04 PM
modify...modify...modify
United States, CA, Sunnyvale
Joined Mar 2012
1,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk-2 View Post
It's 53 1/2 inches. I didn't do the flaps or bombbay to tell you the truth I never even thought about it but you got me thinking now. I have read that if I change to the FMS props I'll get better power from her.
After I saw Merlinv16's full flap landings, I knew I had made the right decision to add the flaps. I also modified the elevator control controls. The stock set-up was just not right. I changed the 2 external elevator push-rods into a single internal rod. It looks better and the slop is gone. I just finished installing the bomb bay yesterday. I am sure it isn't perfect but it looks pretty good and it works. To give credit where it is due, most if not all, of my mods came from the experts here on RCGroups. This is my first electric plane as well as my first foam warbird. I wish I could do something about the small main gear. My buddy is modding his to accept 2.5 in wheels. I am trying to take pictures of the mods in case someone asks me how I did something. When I get better at the blog thing, I will add some pictures.
borntoolate is offline Find More Posts by borntoolate
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3 B-25's operational!
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2013, 10:11 PM
Minneapolis,MN.
Joined Mar 2006
1,071 Posts
Looks fantastic! Now that's a B-25!
bouncebk2003 is offline Find More Posts by bouncebk2003
Old Jan 03, 2013, 10:20 PM
modify...modify...modify
Joined Mar 2012
1,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncebk2003 View Post
Looks fantastic! Now that's a B-25!
Thank you. I appreciate your comments!

btl
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 04, 2013, 01:03 PM
Destin,Fl
Joined Nov 2002
561 Posts
Darn! Your Duck makes mine look...Well Ruptured How did you do the flaps two servos per wing? One for the inner and one for the outer flaps?
cmk-2 is offline Find More Posts by cmk-2
Old Jan 04, 2013, 03:55 PM
modify...modify...modify
Joined Mar 2012
1,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk-2 View Post
Darn! Your Duck makes mine look...Well Ruptured How did you do the flaps two servos per wing? One for the inner and one for the outer flaps?
Thank you much, but I am sure your is very nice... and yours has actually flown. Something mine has not yet done!

I only used 1 servo per wing on the flaps. After giving it much thought, I cut a small channel through the nacelle and tied the two sections together. I epoxied a thin dowel into the two sections. It was trial and error. My port side came out cleaner than my starboard side. Then I put the servo inboard from the engine nacelle. It seems strong and free moving - so far!

Here is a picture. Please bear in mind this is my first foam a/c and my cutting skills were untried!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 26, 2014, 11:13 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,787 Posts
great mods ,thanks for posting ,enjoyed reading about them ...you repaint are sweet ,where you getting your decals ? Callie? how many B-25's do you have ? im looking for a 1600mm one that nitro planes sold .
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Jun 26, 2014, 11:28 PM
modify...modify...modify
Joined Mar 2012
1,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY View Post
great mods ,thanks for posting ,enjoyed reading about them ...you repaint are sweet ,where you getting your decals ? Callie? how many B-25's do you have ? im looking for a 1600mm one that nitro planes sold .
Hi Air Sally! I get most, if not all, of my Decals from Callie. How many? Good question.
I have 2 operational - the Ruptured Duck and a modified B25J gunship. I am currently working on a third one. It will be in MTO paint scheme. It really should be modded into a "C" version, but I am going to keep it as a "J" for now. I have too many projects going at one time. I have a 4th kit in silver still in the box. I could not pass them up. If I remember correctly, Nitroplanes was blowing them out for about $130.

I think I have enough parts for probably make up 2 more B-25's. I know it sounds ridiculous, but it is one of my favorite planes. Banana Hobby was blowing out their stock of FMS parts and there were some deals that I could not pass up.

The 3rd one should be making a public appearance soon. I am still working on the bomb bay and the flap mod.

As for paint, I cannot more strongly recommend flat latex house paint from Home Depot of Lowe's. They will color match almost perfectly every time. And ~$3 for 7.5 ounces of paint is much better than those $5 one half ounce bottles from the local hobby shops. The paint goes on well with a brush or an airbrush.

Wow, sorry - way too much blabbering going on by me!

Bob
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 27, 2014, 12:35 AM
Buy Alot Fly Alittle
Joined Jun 2013
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by borntoolate View Post
Hi Air Sally! I get most, if not all, of my Decals from Callie. How many? Good question.
I have 2 operational - the Ruptured Duck and a modified B25J gunship. I am currently working on a third one. It will be in MTO paint scheme. It really should be modded into a "C" version, but I am going to keep it as a "J" for now. I have too many projects going at one time. I have a 4th kit in silver still in the box. I could not pass them up. If I remember correctly, Nitroplanes was blowing them out for about $130.

I think I have enough parts for probably make up 2 more B-25's. I know it sounds ridiculous, but it is one of my favorite planes. Banana Hobby was blowing out their stock of FMS parts and there were some deals that I could not pass up.

The 3rd one should be making a public appearance soon. I am still working on the bomb bay and the flap mod.

As for paint, I cannot more strongly recommend flat latex house paint from Home Depot of Lowe's. They will color match almost perfectly every time. And ~$3 for 7.5 ounces of paint is much better than those $5 one half ounce bottles from the local hobby shops. The paint goes on well with a brush or an airbrush.

Wow, sorry - way too much blabbering going on by me!

Bob
Wow Id love to see some flight videos you have 2 operational? I have a hard time getting mine dialed in! Whats your setup like on your thorws and rates? Can you help me out? I just got a kit from my friend Elmer my old neighbor and wish I knew the settings

George
AffiliateFleet is offline Find More Posts by AffiliateFleet
Old Jun 27, 2014, 01:53 AM
modify...modify...modify
Joined Mar 2012
1,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AffiliateFleet View Post
Wow Id love to see some flight videos you have 2 operational? I have a hard time getting mine dialed in! Whats your setup like on your thorws and rates? Can you help me out? I just got a kit from my friend Elmer my old neighbor and wish I knew the settings

George
George, I do not have much video of the two B-25's. Pictures, I have - video not much.

Someone took a short video last week when we had a bomb run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=iSp2GgwBWLU

As to the settings, I don't really know what they are set at... I can try to find out but I am in the middle of building the 3rd one and the other two are hanging above.

Bob
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 27, 2014, 11:56 AM
Buy Alot Fly Alittle
Joined Jun 2013
10 Posts
Quote:
George, I do not have much video of the two B-25's. Pictures, I have - video not much.

Someone took a short video last week when we had a bomb run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=iSp2GgwBWLU

As to the settings, I don't really know what they are set at... I can try to find out but I am in the middle of building the 3rd one and the other two are hanging above.

Bob
Nice bomb run, mine seems really touchy compared to your passes! Nice flying Bob!

Do you fly at high rates or low rates for the bomb run? Love the work you did.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 12:26 PM
modify...modify...modify
Joined Mar 2012
1,196 Posts
Quote:
Nice bomb run, mine seems really touchy compared to your passes! Nice flying Bob!

Do you fly at high rates or low rates for the bomb run? Love the work you did.
George, I was not the pilot for the bomb run. That was Karltrek. I am not yet ready for flying my warbirds. I am working on it and I hope soon.

Thanks. I just finished modding the flaps on my #3 B-25. I just need to mod up some door closing mechanism for the bomb bay doors and then she can be painted.

Bob
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 27, 2014, 01:04 PM
Buy Alot Fly Alittle
Joined Jun 2013
10 Posts
Quote:
George, I was not the pilot for the bomb run. That was Karltrek. I am not yet ready for flying my warbirds. I am working on it and I hope soon.

Thanks. I just finished modding the flaps on my #3 B-25. I just need to mod up some door closing mechanism for the bomb bay doors and then she can be painted.

Bob
Oh for heavens I thought that was you flying! You are a brave man for letting others fly your planes...but Generous that is for sure.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 04:49 PM
modify...modify...modify
Joined Mar 2012
1,196 Posts
Ha Ha! George, I did try to fly it after a ~20 years away from the Hobby. The tak-off was fine as was some of the flight. But, I almost tip stalled it into the ground. Luckily one of my buddies was standing next to me to take the stick!. After that I decided I needed to get back into a trainer before I destroyed one of my planes. I will be doing some flights Saturday with a new trainer.

Bob
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 27, 2014, 05:42 PM
Buy Alot Fly Alittle
Joined Jun 2013
10 Posts
Quote:
Ha Ha! George, I did try to fly it after a ~20 years away from the Hobby. The tak-off was fine as was some of the flight. But, I almost tip stalled it into the ground. Luckily one of my buddies was standing next to me to take the stick!. After that I decided I needed to get back into a trainer before I destroyed one of my planes. I will be doing some flights Saturday with a new trainer.

Bob
Your buddy must be a great pilot, in my 30 years of flying experience, it is not easy to save someone from tip stall, because you have to "Take Over" and know or GUESS exactly where the speed is at and take over with no Friction on handover. You are lucky to have angels on your shoulders and appreciative of that or your beautiful birds will quickly diminish!
Old Jun 27, 2014, 06:26 PM
modify...modify...modify
Joined Mar 2012
1,196 Posts
Quote:
Your buddy must be a great pilot, in my 30 years of flying experience, it is not easy to save someone from tip stall, because you have to "Take Over" and know or GUESS exactly where the speed is at and take over with no Friction on handover. You are lucky to have angels on your shoulders and appreciative of that or your beautiful birds will quickly diminish!
George,
I have 2 buddies that I go flying with here. Both are very good pilots. They have been very helpful in getting me back in the air.

Hopefully I will make some good progress this weekend.

Bob
RCG Plus Member