SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 07, 2012, 03:14 PM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsci_guy View Post
MtnGoat is American, last time I checked, this ia an American chat site, so let's use American rules for him, right?
This is not a chat site. Neither is it solely American. It is an International site, with participants around the globe.
You are the one who brought up the term salubrious, not Mtn Goat, or anyone else, other than in using it in conversation
It appears that you have commented on it's use previously. Go figure.
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Dec 07, 2012, 03:20 PM
Figure Nine Champ
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leccyflyer View Post
This is not a chat site.
OK, it's not a chat site.

It's not a site, and we don't chat.

Quote:
Neither is it solely American. It is an International site, with participants around the glibe.
Ownership is American I believe, not International.

Quote:
You are the one who brought up the term salubrious, not Mtn Goat, or anyone else, other than in using it in conversation
If you had read the thread context, you'd know why.

Quote:
It appears that you have commented on it's use previously. Go figure.
Yup, that's why I used it as an example. Oops, is "example" too big a word? Three syllables and all.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGoat View Post
Looked pretty clear and concise to me before I hit send, and after as well.

My fav is being accused of choosing big or unusual words because I think I'm better than other people. This from a fellow who's sure so many other folks need to be told what to do for what he sees as their own good.
After seeing terms like "salubrious", and various Latin phrases being thrown around, I'm not sure why someone would complain about your posts.
madsci_guy is online now Find More Posts by madsci_guy
Old Dec 07, 2012, 03:27 PM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,605 Posts
Quote:
OK, it's not a chat site.

It's not a site, and we don't chat.
RCG does have a chat room, but this most definitely is not it.
Quote:
Ownership is American I believe, not International.
Not what I said. Participation in the site is international.
Quote:
If you had read the thread context, you'd know why.

Yup, that's why I used it as an example. Oops, is "example" too big a word? Three syllables and all.
I believe that those who were hung up on the more than three syllables thing are no more. Only on LTUP would it be considered laudible to decry a decent vocabulary and precise use of language. Thankfully those induhviduals* are long gone.

*Thanks to Scott Adams for the term
Old Dec 07, 2012, 03:30 PM
Figure Nine Champ
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,283 Posts
Quote:
RCG does have a chat room, but this most definitely is not it.
I didn't say ,"chat room".

Quote:
Not what I said. Participation in the site is international.
I didn't say, "participation".

Quote:
I believe that those who were hung up on the more than three syllables thing are no more. Only on LTUP would it be considered laudible to decry a decent vocabulary and precise use of language.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkie View Post
Honestly mate, have you considered writing in English?
Old Dec 07, 2012, 03:33 PM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,605 Posts
Perhaps not using so many code phrases and not indulging in the use of inpenetrable grammar might help?
Old Dec 07, 2012, 03:47 PM
Figure Nine Champ
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,283 Posts
Quote:
Perhaps not using so many code phrases and not indulging in the use of inpenetrable grammar might help?
He uses concepts which are familiar to anyone who has read up on Libertarianism. I think it's unfair to accuse him of not using English, when he actually is, just in a way that requires more than a cursory glance to understand.

He didn't obfuscate, as he easily could have, so I think the accusation unfounded.

I have seen in previous cases, accusations against his "English", where the accuser was simply ignorant of Libertarian concepts. It wasn't a case of MtnGoat;s English skills, it was a case of simply not having the frame of reference to properly evaluate his words. I think that also is the case, here.

If any of his "English tutors" can explain what Libertarian concepts are involved, without resorting to Google or similar, I will happy retract my opinion.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 03:55 PM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,605 Posts
Quote:
He uses concepts which are familiar to anyone who has read up on Libertarianism. I think it's unfair to accuse him of not using English, when he actually is, just in a way that requires more than a cursory glance to understand.

He didn't obfuscate, as he easily could have, so I think the accusation unfounded.

I have seen in previous cases, accusations against his "English", where the accuser was simply ignorant of Libertarian concepts. It wasn't a case of MtnGoat;s English skills, it was a case of simply not having the frame of reference to properly evaluate his words. I think that also is the case, here.

If any of his "English tutors" can explain what Libertarian concepts are involved, without resorting to Google or similar, I will happy retract my opinion.
I have had many long conversations and discussions with Mtn Goat on the Libertarian concepts that he describes, without google, based on what has been posted and IIRC he has even agreed that I have paraphrased his position accurately. I expect that Mtn Goat has tge integrity to confirm that, in case you might have missed it.
None of that alters the fact that those libertarian concepts often play fast and loose in the redefinition of English in the adoption of code phrases, as referred to earlier.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 03:57 PM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,545 Posts
Anyone who writes in a language typical of a minority political group in a general forum should not be surprised when it results in difficult comprehension. If he wishes to make his points more understandable to the majority, more "normal" language might be the answer.
martin richards is online now Find More Posts by martin richards
Old Dec 07, 2012, 03:57 PM
Figure Nine Champ
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,283 Posts
Quote:
I have had many long conversations and discussions with Mtn Goat on the Libertarian concepts that he describes, without google, based on what has been posted and IIRC he has even agreed that I have paraphrased his position accurately. I expect that Mtn Goat has tge integrity to confirm that, in case you might have missed it.
None of that alters the fact that those libertarian concepts often play fast and loose in the redefinition of English in the adoption of code phrases, as referred to earlier.
I do not remember you as one who claimed his posts were undreadable.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 03:59 PM
Figure Nine Champ
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin richards View Post
Anyone who writes in a language typical of a minority political group in a general forum should not be surprised when it results in difficult comprehension. If he wishes to make his points more understandable to the majority, more "normal" language might be the answer.
Is there some part of his post that you found difficult to understand? Did his words not fit my explanation?
Old Dec 07, 2012, 04:02 PM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,605 Posts
Quote:
I do not remember you as one who claimed his posts were undreadable.
That would be correct. I certainly would not claim that Mtn Goat's posts are undreadable.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 04:03 PM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin richards View Post
Fair point, well made.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 04:47 PM
Restful User
Backwoods Alabama
Joined May 2000
3,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkie View Post
Many Latin and Greek words make up English words, along with words from India, Germany, France, in fact all over the world.
The difference being that some are able to string them together in a way that despite being in some cases spelling and grammatically challenged, they can put "real" meaning across.
You read their posts, you understand them.
Goat posts garbage, wrapped up in verbose non speak.
I look at that verbosity as the Randian equivalent of NewSpeak.

--Bill
Jacques Flambeau is offline Find More Posts by Jacques Flambeau
Old Dec 07, 2012, 05:33 PM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,545 Posts
Quote:
Is there some part of his post that you found difficult to understand? Did his words not fit my explanation?
If it was post 43, it didn't exactly flow off the tongue, but as I'm used to correcting English by native Spanish speakers, I might not be the best judge.
martin richards is online now Find More Posts by martin richards
Old Dec 07, 2012, 05:37 PM
Made in the USA
Joined May 2010
422 Posts
I have never seen a larger group attack on a member of LTUP since I have been here.
BE77 Pilot is online now Find More Posts by BE77 Pilot
Last edited by BE77 Pilot; Dec 07, 2012 at 06:03 PM.