|Dec 06, 2012, 05:39 AM|
FF to RC Kitbash - Competition closed, winners announced
I've decided to take on the responsibility for this thread and the competition.
Winner RMCCOR7737, full details here.
It has already given me hours of frustration and pleasure getting my own contribution going, and I fully appreciate the commitment and determination it takes to get a model to the flying stage by a particular date.
Because of the uncertainty at the beginning of the competition, the finish date is now extended by a month to 28 February and I hope this encourages everyone to keep going on their projects.
I also hope that the generous prizes on offer are still there. I've PM'd Peter and "Mr X" so should hear soon. (See below!)
Just to recap, here's the basic parameters and list of participants from the original thread.
The requirement is pretty simple. Take a model airplane, from either a kit or plans, and kitbash it into a model airplane that flies and is controlled by a radio. The power source is totally up to you as well as the size. Choose whatever you like to build and want to fly as long as it was never designed for RC.
1. Best Kitbash
2. Best Build Thread
3. Best Overall Looking
The winners in each category will be awarded prizes.
1. PETERRAKE generously offered to donate his beautiful one of a kind drawings.
2. "Mr. X" also offered a very generous selection of unique medals. See this post here of photos and prize info: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=108
The entry list is closed and entries are below.
1. UberZogster (Sinbad Jr)
2. AndyKunz (Texas A&M AG-1) Withdrawn from the Contest.
3. turbojoe (Herr Engineering V-Tail Bonanza)
4. Smokin' Beaver (Guillow's B-29)
5.Sundancer (Piper J3 Cub)
6. Eclipse_7 (1/3 scale Porterfield Collegiate)
7. rtibbetts@hotm (Herr Engineering V-Tail Bonanza)
8. 62pilot (Guillows P-38)
9. 3DDFHobbies (West Wings Topaz)
10. SixDueces (Bellanca Aircruiser C-27A)
11. conrad907 (Guillow's DHC-2 Beaver)
12. DropTank (Skylake Models Nieuport ) Thread closed and build abandoned.
13. JimStanmore (FROG DH 94 Moth Minor)
14. doonbt13 (300% Peanut sterling stearman)
15. bogbeagle (Pee Wee Pal) Flown 19 November 2012
16. Sopwith Mike (AA Lidberg TA 152)Flown 21 January 2013
17. Gator Hawk (Al Backstrom's Mister Malcom)
18. XeCutor (Hacker Piper J-3C Cub)Flown 9 February 2013
19. RMCCOR7737 (42" Camel by F.C. Saunders) Flown 12 January 2013.
20. davidterrell80 (Blackburn Skua from Earl Stahl plans) Flown 12 January 2013
21. gupi (Guillows Spitfire)
22. Robyn_r (Dellanne 10)
23. Dave K (Lee's Hobby Peanut Dr1 at 200%)
24. milesperpound (Guillows B-25)
25. srt8madness Guillows Curtiss P40
Click on the names above to go to their build threads.
Pete and acetech have confirmed that their prizes are still available for this competition. Pete says:
"Yes, I still want to offer some of the prints as prizes. I'm not totally sure how that will go, a set number of prints for each group winner, or if there will just be an overall winner. Whatever, I'm still in. All the winner(s) will have to do is contact me with a postal address - unless they'd like a pdf to print at whatever size they want. The current list looks like this:-
Bristol Scout C
Morane Saulnier N
The jets are because the wife likes flying blow-lamps, and those three in particular.
and Mr X said:
"...if you are going to re-start the thread, please do us all a favor and do a good job about it, keeping everything documented and organized. I want to keep this contest alive."
I'll do my best!
|Dec 06, 2012, 06:57 AM|
First to fly, 12 January 2013, RMCCOR7737 with his Sopwith Camel.
It's only fair to say that equal first was David Terrell with his Blackburn Skua.
Third off the ground was Sopwith Mike and his Al Lidberg TA152 on 21 January.
Fourth was XeCutor with his Hacker J3 Cub, on a snowy day in Sweden, 9 February.
How wrong could I be! First to fly was bogbeagle's Walt Musciano Pee Wee Pal.on November 19th, nearly 2 months ahead of everyone else!
|Dec 06, 2012, 09:31 AM|
Thanks Mike; I have been marking time on starting a build thread for my entry in case it just wasn't going to happen, but will get going now. Extending the date is a good call as I think quite a few people have been hanging back due to the uncertainty.
|Dec 06, 2012, 10:04 AM|
|Dec 06, 2012, 01:51 PM|
|Dec 06, 2012, 02:16 PM|
Yeeesss! I built the KK Sportster twice as a kid and had great fun with it. The kit was so much easier than the former and stringer scale KK kits. I do recall that the decoration was printed on the balsa, so for a 10-year old schoolboy it was a great kit. I never got the hang of lubricating rubber motors though, so performance was not exactly sparkling!
|Dec 06, 2012, 03:21 PM|
|Dec 06, 2012, 05:47 PM|
Two threads were created after the leadership abdication. The links need to be added to post #1.
conrad907 -- http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1772878
SixDeuces -- http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1770067
and you need a line break between #13 & 14
|Dec 06, 2012, 07:57 PM|
Hell, I was gonna keep building regardless. I was beginning to wonder if everyone had threw in the towel. I am glad to see the thread moved and under control again. Thanks Mike...
|Dec 06, 2012, 09:00 PM|
Is it to late to put my name on the build list? Just started on a Lee's Hobby Peanut Dr1 at 200% and would like to join in.
|Category||Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Build Log||BBCC 3 Guillow's B-29 Superfortress Conversion Smokin' Beaver||Smokin' Beaver||Scale Kit/Scratch Built||189||Apr 04, 2014 06:06 PM|
|Contest||Free Flight to RC Flight Kitbash Contest >> Starts 17 Nov||Murocflyer||Balsa Builders||153||Dec 06, 2012 08:49 AM|
|Question||FF Rubber Field Restrictions, Minimalist RC Assist??||Gemini2||Free Flight||16||Jul 10, 2012 10:37 AM|
|Discussion||converting ff to micro rc, some help and info required.||paul_mccaughey||Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models||5||May 11, 2012 06:47 PM|