Old Dec 05, 2012, 10:45 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,132 Posts
Build Log
Clyde Puffer Ship by Tony Lombardo - Large Scale

Hello Ship mates!

Introducing Tony Lombardo's Clyde Puffer Ship, large scale! (56 inches Long !!!)

Here is some information on these ships from long ago:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clyde_puffer

Tony Lombardo is a Master Builder and at most he builds from pictures and not from plans, however, this model the Clyde Puffer he received plans and was delighted as this speeds things a bit for him.

A few pictures of the build and progress:

PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PittSpecial; Dec 07, 2012 at 04:44 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2012, 11:24 PM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,644 Posts
Ohhh Very cool!

I'm watching

Hey Cpl.Fuzz - Check dis out!!!!
craig_c is offline Find More Posts by craig_c
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 06, 2012, 12:00 AM
United States, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Mar 2012
166 Posts
Ah, very nice build. Where is your shipyard. Are you on the west coast where I might be lucky to see it one day?

Really nice work, congratulations.

Gary
Pond Sailer is offline Find More Posts by Pond Sailer
Old Dec 06, 2012, 12:11 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pond Sailer View Post
Ah, very nice build. Where is your shipyard. Are you on the west coast where I might be lucky to see it one day?

Really nice work, congratulations.

Gary
Gary,

Unfortunately, Tony Lombardo lives all the way at the East Coast, at a small town right outside the Space Center (Kennedy Space Center) Florida known as Titusville.

There are lots of lakes around here!

Never fear, I have some of the best Photographers in the Industry and one is David Hart who is the official photographer for Fly RC Magazine and Gerry Rivera who is his own private photographer himself.

I pride myself as being the best Video Capture Recorder and editor so, you will see this fine creation by Tony at your Computer.

Here is the Rivet Helper!

Actually, the Rivet Assistant is John who is 90+ years old and still drives and does many things in one leap a day!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 06, 2012, 12:25 AM
Joined Mar 2012
166 Posts
I was their to see the 6th to the last Shuttle Launch. It got scrubbed for 4 days so to kill a little time I went to key west. Oh, a little thing was going on in your area I hadn't seen before. It was called Spring Break. Now that is something that one should not miss. I had a chance to hear the best music EVERYWHERE I stopped my truck. The local scenery was so interesting that I did not notice any lakes in the whole state. If you say so ill believe you. It seems right that water should be here and their. But don't you worry about those large floating log looking things eating you boats.

G
Old Dec 06, 2012, 12:36 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,132 Posts
Gary,

There are Alligators everywhere, and they usually leave our boats alone. With the exception when one acts like food or has a motor / gearbox making a sound that is familiar to them (sounding like food). As soon as they get close enough (100 feet or so), they realize it is not food and they go about their business.

Several of us are members of the Moon Port Modelers RC Club and we have a adjacent large Man Made Lake that was opened up for Dirt so, Interstate (I-95) was possible at the State Road 50 exit.

If you can visit us next time at:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202195

When things do not go right with our boats, we have a large Aluminum Row Boat right at the Lake Access and the Alligators are no where to be seen as we humans are bigger than they are. At least the one Alligator that frequents this lake. ;O)
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 06, 2012, 01:14 AM
Joined Mar 2012
166 Posts
Thanks for the link. I just looked at a few pages and nice stuff. The one boat video sounded like I heard that a saw motor was in the boat. That should do it. Ebay has lots of really used stuff for nothin and taking one apart for the motor is a lot cheaper than getting anything shipped here from over the pond from the brits. I just can't figure out why they have such a large tax for shipping. Only a few bucks from China and like $80.00 or more for the same thing from them. Just not right, because they have lots of nice stuff.

You make the swamp monsters seem like poodles. Maybe I have it all wrong and these guys make nice backyard pets.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 11:37 AM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,752 Posts
Big model---, hernea size---.
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old Dec 06, 2012, 12:01 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by der kapitan View Post
Big model---, hernea size---.
No Sir, this is a light model compared to what I have:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11...mpage_3/tm.htm
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 06, 2012, 12:41 PM
Joined Nov 2012
39 Posts
The Clyde Puffer is a simple boat, but can be made as detailed as you want. That is the beauty. Very nice build.
Skipjack585 is offline Find More Posts by Skipjack585
Old Dec 06, 2012, 01:37 PM
r/c ships and workboats
bellingham, wa
Joined May 2006
4,573 Posts
very nice build. The beauty of a larger size model like this: the details that can be incorperated and the realistic look on the water. Going to be fun to watch this build!!
keith S is offline Find More Posts by keith S
Old Dec 06, 2012, 02:01 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,132 Posts
Going to get more progress pictures!

Over Slept, did not catch the Van Pool Vehicle so, drove in and going to pass by Tony Lombardo's house to load up on more Pictures and perhaps a Video.

Stay tuned.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 06, 2012, 03:36 PM
boat butcher
Whittier CA.
Joined Oct 2009
1,155 Posts

Mark
the goon is offline Find More Posts by the goon
Old Dec 06, 2012, 04:47 PM
Joined Nov 2010
198 Posts
That looks huge, how big is it. I have a 48 inch Clyde Puffer that is a hand full at times getting it in and out of the house and at time into the water, 30 lbs of boat, 22+ lbs ballast, 20 lbs car battery. I need to use a small handcart and strap to ease it over the edge and into the water. Looks great, mo pictures please. Here's a couple pics of mine. Cpl.fuzz
CPL.FUZZ is offline Find More Posts by CPL.FUZZ
Old Dec 07, 2012, 04:24 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPL.FUZZ View Post
That looks huge, how big is it.

I have a 48 inch Clyde Puffer that is a hand full at times getting it in and out of the house and at time into the water, 30 lbs of boat, 22+ lbs ballast, 20 lbs car battery. I need to use a small handcart and strap to ease it over the edge and into the water. Looks great, mo pictures please. Here's a couple pics of mine. Cpl.fuzz
56 inches long!
RCG Plus Member