HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 05, 2012, 10:07 PM
Brighto?
United States, DE, Newark
Joined Dec 2003
695 Posts
Discussion
This Old Boat

This thread will be an occasional photo documentary on the restoration of an old International A Class boat. In 1922, the class was created by the English magazine, Yachting Monthly using the 5.5 meter measurement rule adapted for model yachts. The rule is a relationship of waterline to sail area with draft, displacement, average free board and quarter beam measurements factored in to equal 1000 mm (39.37 inches). The result is a yacht that can vary in size from 58 to over 88 inches in length with displacements between 25 to 60 lbs. and carry 1500 to over 1800 square inches of sail area.

To begin the story, I was clued in on an A boat that was briefly discussed in a thread here on RCG. Several participants speculated on what it was so I followed the link to the listing on RCU. I contacted the owner, agreed on a price and by the weekend I was the new owner of A 442.
Mike Denest is offline Find More Posts by Mike Denest
Last edited by Mike Denest; May 08, 2014 at 10:08 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2012, 11:06 PM
United States, MA, Wenham
Joined Jan 2007
1,508 Posts
Restoration?
Man, she looks nearly there already!

Single panel sails... meh.
What else could she possibly need? Electronics?
breakwater is offline Find More Posts by breakwater
Old Dec 06, 2012, 12:28 PM
Brighto?
Joined Dec 2003
695 Posts
Yes, it looks good as it is but there are some issues that I want to address.

1. The boat was painted with Hobbypoxy paint. Nice, but I prefer the vintage look of natural wood above the waterline. So, it's coming off.

2. As it is a 50# boat I wanted to remove the keel weight (35#) to make it easier to maneuver so I've done that. I'll rework the attachment method so I can move the boat around without too much fuss.

3.The winch is an old 6V bang bang from Vortex Engineering. I plan to replace it with a Servo City gear box winch. An RMG 380 is nice but not necessary.

4. The sheeting arrangement used travelers on both sails. It probably worked ok with the Vortex winch but the jury is still out on that one.

5. The rudder skeg is broken and needs repair. I could saw it off and install a balanced rudder but that would detract the look from original. So, it gets fixed and reinforced.

6. I believe the mast and main boom are original to the boat but the jib boom is a replacement.

7. There are lots of Fisher fittings that I will re-use plus I have a good stash of the same. Nice, shiny Pekabe fittings are ok but I want to maintain the vintage look.

8. The sails are a single panel suit from Rod Carr and undersize. I believe they may measure in as a "B" suit and will be replaced with a nice proper sized suit. I'll probably use dacron as Tri-spi is too modern for the vintage period and Egyptian cotton doesn't last.

9. The deck was replaced with doorskin at some time in its life and was glued on with resorcinol adhesive. I'll leave it on but add some features to make it more attractive.

I'll post more pictures of my progress soon.
Last edited by Mike Denest; May 08, 2014 at 10:11 AM.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 09:28 PM
Brighto?
Joined Dec 2003
695 Posts
Here are some photos.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 08:39 AM
Joined Sep 2009
177 Posts
Nice looking boat!
m.g. is offline Find More Posts by m.g.