HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:57 PM
Extremely Twisted
United States, NH, Epping
Joined Oct 2005
2,641 Posts
If you bother searching for the actual causes and nature of the issues with the 7950's you will find a little bit of info, a lot of shouting, and a lot of arguing. Having owned 12 of them, I'll sum it up: on some 7950's, they will jump off of center by 10-30 degrees randomly every few seconds. This is caused by having inconsistent power caused by a switching BEC/regulator or battery sharing device like those in a Power Expander, or PowerSafe receiver. It is exacerbated or brought out by higher voltages and long leads. It can be cured by installing a 22 microfarad capacitor at the servo end of the extension over the power leads. There is also an issue with them jittering like crazy, which is either caused by bad pots or some weird firmware bug (I have been able to remedy this in the few times I've seen it by resetting with the programmer). I noticed that after about two seasons the 7950's on the elevators in my 42% Extra refused to center properly and the gears felt very tight. I think the 7950's have so much power that they just beat themselves up internally. I have had no issues with my 7955's.
cwojcik is offline Find More Posts by cwojcik
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:15 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,455 Posts
I really appreciate the summary...it's making sense too.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:20 PM
Extremely Twisted
United States, NH, Epping
Joined Oct 2005
2,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfRC View Post
I really appreciate the summary...it's making sense too.
No problem!
cwojcik is offline Find More Posts by cwojcik
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:15 PM
Joined Nov 2011
8,455 Posts
WOW!!!

Shipped Friday from EF...and minutes after I looked up the tracking number, I just received

four boxes from Extreme Flight

Effectively overnight shipping from GA to MN through a snow storm.

Thanks EF...looks like you did your homework on a shipping company.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:26 PM
zürich
Joined Jun 2008
1,074 Posts
Quote:
WOW!!!

Shipped Friday from EF...and minutes after I looked up the tracking number, I just received

wow, how coooooooool !!
wish you all the best with your new big toy.
in case you are not to busy with unpacking....post as much fotos as you can.
or, with your own words, make a "unboxing video"...lol

different story here. ordered it weeks ago. got a call a week last monday that it will be here by the end of last week. havent heard back anymore.
well, doesnt really matter as long as it will come.
deep deep winter and noone really knows if it will ever stop snowing.
long leng is offline Find More Posts by long leng
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:32 PM
Epoxy & CA Investor
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,608 Posts
Quote:
WOW!!!

are you going gas or leccy?
DenverJayhawk is offline Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:45 PM
zürich
Joined Jun 2008
1,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverJayhawk View Post
are you going gas or leccy?
he cant answer...HE IS OCCUPIED...lucky dude
long leng is offline Find More Posts by long leng
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:54 PM
Joined Dec 2012
209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwojcik View Post
7955's - Great servos. HV capable.
7954's - Some of them have had issues with the gears which leads to locking up. Make sure they are updated, or just get 7955's.
7950's - Full of issues. Requires clean power to eliminate glitching. Wears out and gears tighten up much sooner than 7955's.
That brings up a question I've been meaning to ask folks:
How long are you guys getting out of a set of 7955's or JR's with normal flying, say a mix of 3d and IMAC?

The reason I ask is that in my 48in airframes I go through a set of Hitec hs65mg gears every 3 months because they get sloppy but I just sold my 50cc which had 7955's and 2 inch arms in it for over a year and they were still perfect.

So I'm wondering if next time it is worth forking out some serious coin for a set of JR's?
If they are going to last 2 or 3 years then it's worth it.
balsadude is offline Find More Posts by balsadude
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:05 PM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Aug 2004
9,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsadude View Post
That brings up a question I've been meaning to ask folks:
How long are you guys getting out of a set of 7955's or JR's with normal flying, say a mix of 3d and IMAC?

The reason I ask is that in my 48in airframes I go through a set of Hitec hs65mg gears every 3 months because they get sloppy but I just sold my 50cc which had 7955's and 2 inch arms in it for over a year and they were still perfect.

So I'm wondering if next time it is worth forking out some serious coin for a set of JR's?
If they are going to last 2 or 3 years then it's worth it.
i still havnt heard of anyone getting slop in the 7955 gear train regardless of time, its as rock solid as anything out there. im sure someone out there has, but i havnt heard of it
rcbirk21 is offline Find More Posts by rcbirk21
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Joe's Battery Contraption
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:09 PM
Joined Dec 2012
209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbirk21 View Post
i still havnt heard of anyone getting slop in the 7955 gear train regardless of time, its as rock solid as anything out there. im sure someone out there has, but i havnt heard of it
Cheers for the answer, it must be down to the titanium I guess. I've got so sick of sloppy hs65mg gears that I bought a set of Savox Sh0255 to try next, see how that goes over the next few months.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:11 PM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Aug 2004
9,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsadude View Post
Cheers for the answer, it must be down to the titanium I guess. I've got so sick of sloppy hs65mg gears that I bought a set of Savox Sh0255 to try next, see how that goes over the next few months.
i had a set of 4 of those, and while i didnt have them for long, they seemed to put the 65mgs to shame. just make sure to up your bec voltage to 6 or 6.5 volts as they are pretty lathargic speed wise if not bumped up
rcbirk21 is offline Find More Posts by rcbirk21
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Joe's Battery Contraption
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:21 PM
Joined Dec 2012
209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbirk21 View Post
i had a set of 4 of those, and while i didnt have them for long, they seemed to put the 65mgs to shame. just make sure to up your bec voltage to 6 or 6.5 volts as they are pretty lathargic speed wise if not bumped up
Yep, bought a CC50 lite specifically for that reason, their BEC can be adjusted in 0.1 volt increments up to 7 volts I think.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:23 PM
Joined Nov 2011
8,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by long leng View Post
wow, how coooooooool !!
wish you all the best with your new big toy.
in case you are not to busy with unpacking....post as much fotos as you can.
or, with your own words, make a "unboxing video"...lol

different story here. ordered it weeks ago. got a call a week last monday that it will be here by the end of last week. havent heard back anymore.
well, doesnt really matter as long as it will come.
deep deep winter and noone really knows if it will ever stop snowing.
I'd consider an unboxing video, but wrong time of year...lots going on and not a lot of space for an unboxing video. Maybe I'll get my daughter to take some photos. It is an impressive plane when the next largest plane I own is 64/60".

I looked at the wings and cowling so far...I'm impressed. The wing tube on this is too about 30mm outside diamter...the wing posts are aluminum about 7-8mm. The cowling is huge. The DA motor is pretty nice looking, and lighter than it looks. I'll check the covering quality and straightness of the aileron after it accilmates to the new climate.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:46 PM
aka ECAA3D
United States, WA, Olympia
Joined Apr 2012
1,154 Posts
Quote:
I'd consider an unboxing video, but wrong time of year...lots going on and not a lot of space for an unboxing video. Maybe I'll get my daughter to take some photos. It is an impressive plane when the next largest plane I own is 64/60".

I looked at the wings and cowling so far...I'm impressed. The wing tube on this is too about 30mm outside diamter...the wing posts are aluminum about 7-8mm. The cowling is huge. The DA motor is pretty nice looking, and lighter than it looks. I'll check the covering quality and straightness of the aileron after it accilmates to the new climate.
You must have got one of the last ones. Red White and Blue?

We finally got a break in the rain today and I fell in love all over again with the RWB scheme. I re-covered the SFGs with white ultracote and white spinner with the black Aeronaut prop and white under the fuse. Looks badass again. Need to get new B&E graphics to freshen it up a bit.

If they had a RWB in stock I'd go ahead and push the button. I REALLY like the red though.
m0dest is offline Find More Posts by m0dest
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:15 PM
Joined Nov 2011
8,455 Posts
Red/black/white! I guess I got the last one, unless they had another stash. They still have the blue/white/red in stock...just checked.

I have only looked at the wings, wing tube, cowling, and motor so far. The DA60 motor is lighter than it looks. The wing tube -- you could play stick ball with this. It is about 30mm OD (using ruler, not very precise). The pegs sticking out of the wing are 7-8 mm, and made of what I guess is aluminum. The wings look pretty good, but I have to check how straight the ailerons are still. Haven't gotten to the fuse yet.