HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 09, 2012, 11:59 AM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,046 Posts
Though some may not like this answer, and believe we are here now due to an endless sequence of random events that occurred for no reason at all--and though I am very far from an ideal Christian and probably not qualified to comment--Daniel gets his talent from the same place we all get our talents: making good use through practice and thinking of the inant abilities God gave him.

And in his case, he is putting his talent to good use, and is an excellent witness and light to the RC world. Well, at least to me and my son.

Wish I could have made this comment anonymously, but there it is.

And I hope this doesn't spark some internet religious debate. I respect the decision of others to believe and deny what they decide to believe and deny...one thing we can all agree on: I am not your judge.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2012, 12:55 PM
TEAM EXTREME!
High Prairie, WA
Joined Nov 2007
1,675 Posts
Thank you for the kind words guys! LoneWolf, thank you for the encouragement. I'm just a guy having fun in this great hobby like the rest of you but do strongly believe that God gave me the talent and do my best to glorify Him with it!

Hone1er, the length from the front of the cowl to the rudder hinge-line is 76.5". The rudder addes another 10.5".
danielph is offline Find More Posts by danielph
Old Dec 09, 2012, 02:57 PM
Epoxy & CA Investor
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,516 Posts
can anyone list the minimum components needed to get this up in the air? This would be my first gasser and i'm trying to figure out what my budget would be.

Other than airframe, DA-60, 6 servos (?), prop, what else would i need to buy? What is the blazing star mount? Also, could I power all servos from a 2s 1300 Lipo direct to the RX if I use HV servos?
DenverJayhawk is offline Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
Old Dec 09, 2012, 03:37 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverJayhawk View Post
can anyone list the minimum components needed to get this up in the air? This would be my first gasser and i'm trying to figure out what my budget would be.

Other than airframe, DA-60, 6 servos (?), prop, what else would i need to buy? What is the blazing star mount? Also, could I power all servos from a 2s 1300 Lipo direct to the RX if I use HV servos?
as far as my limited gasser expirience goes.. you need 2 switches (or one if you run only a single battery for ignition and servos...) you need fuel tubing, tank, fuel dot, fuel pump,fuel can... if you run single battery, you need ibec, or regulator for ignition... im sure i forgot something, but building my 71 slick, all the bits and pieces turned out quite expensive...
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Old Dec 09, 2012, 05:16 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,046 Posts
I just updated the OP with a link to the manual, which, for some reason, I missed.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Dec 09, 2012, 05:58 PM
Stick banger
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Oct 2004
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverJayhawk View Post

1300mAh is pretty small, my 87" extra runs straight 2s on all servos and I use around 350mAh per flight. I run redundant 2s 1550 packs on a Wolverine switch and I will get 5 flights between charges. I run all my servos straight off the receiver (Futaba R6014HS). With a single 1300, I wouldn't be comfortable doing more than 2 flights.

Blazing star mount is a machined aluminum standoff mount for the DA-60, it works great on my Extra but I'm not sure if a 1.5" standoff is correct for the 91" Extra.
Ace4 is offline Find More Posts by Ace4
Old Dec 09, 2012, 06:20 PM
Joined Dec 2012
166 Posts
In my 89in I was running 5x Hitec 7955TG and a Savox digital10kg (forgot the model) on throttle, that had 2 x hyperion 1400 mah life batteries on servos and a 2000mah eneloop on ignition.
After 5 x 8 minute flights typically I'd put back in 650 mah into each servo pack and about 500mah into the ignition pack.

Originally I set it up with 2x A123 batteries but the Hyperions are exactly half the weight and are plenty for a full days flying.

Also you forgot kill switch in your budget, at my club they are mandatory not sure if that's the same for you?
balsadude is offline Find More Posts by balsadude
Old Dec 09, 2012, 08:24 PM
TEAM EXTREME!
High Prairie, WA
Joined Nov 2007
1,675 Posts
I'm going to be running dual 2,600mah Li-ions on the receiver and wouldn't recommend anyone running anything less than a couple 1,800mah packs.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 08:34 PM
Epoxy & CA Investor
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielph View Post
I'm going to be running dual 2,600mah Li-ions on the receiver and wouldn't recommend anyone running anything less than a couple 1,800mah packs.
Hi Daniel. Any chance you can list out the parts in your 91? Smart fly? Which gas tank? Stock hitec servo Arms? Trying to get a budget and figure out what it will cost with a da 60
DenverJayhawk is offline Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
Old Dec 09, 2012, 09:06 PM
RC addicted
Patchogue, NY
Joined Jan 2009
102 Posts
Which muffler?

Hi Skilled,

My red extra is on the way ("processing" order status). I'm planning to install DA-60. The way I fly is "low & slow" 3D so per EF recommendations the stock muffler is preferred over KS pipe. But I don't really like how loud the stock muffler is. Is there enough room for a canister? What about Jtec Wrap Around Pitts Mufflers (they sell compact, large or normal). Which one do you think would fit and what is the best options for mid-rev performance of harriers and hovers.

I have ES55 CF pipe sitting around but according to forums this is not a good match for DA-60.

Max
maximlg253 is offline Find More Posts by maximlg253
Old Dec 09, 2012, 10:52 PM
TEAM EXTREME!
High Prairie, WA
Joined Nov 2007
1,675 Posts
I've never ran a canister on a 60, but there's plenty of room to install one. The pipe tunnel is huge and easy to access.

My setup is as follows:
DA-60
KS-1060 pipe
Mejzlik 24x10TH prop
No-Limitz 4" Ultimate style spinner
Spektrum AR 9110 Powersafe receiveir.
JR MP-82T servos for the ailerons (2)
JR 8711HV servos for the rudder and elevators (3)
JR 8917HV servo for the throttle
Dual Fromeco 2,600mah Li-ions (Un-regulated and plug straight into the receiver)
1,100mah A123 battery for the ignition. (Un-regulated)
Fromeco Badger switch (Ignition)
All the servo arms are aftermarket. - SWB 2"ers on the elevators, Secraft 1.75"ers on the ailerons, an SWB 4" offset double arm on the rudder.
Fortitude 32oz. gas tank
Spot-On magnetic fuel dot
Servo extensions:
2x 48", 2x 6", 1x 12", 2x 3" (RX to ailerons)
1" Blazing star engine mount
B&E Graphics
Old Dec 09, 2012, 11:13 PM
aka ECAA3D
United States, WA, Olympia
Joined Apr 2012
1,097 Posts
Those servos are a good way to get your wife on "Snapped"
m0dest is offline Find More Posts by m0dest
Old Dec 09, 2012, 11:14 PM
TEAM EXTREME!
High Prairie, WA
Joined Nov 2007
1,675 Posts
I was asked for a 'list' and simply answered...
Old Dec 09, 2012, 11:17 PM
aka ECAA3D
United States, WA, Olympia
Joined Apr 2012
1,097 Posts
This is going to be my first large airframe. What's a good recommendation for servos? What you're running is going to have to be an upgrade later on.

I'm sure I'll geek out....Savox have been pretty good in the 48".
They have a couple within those specs for a decent price
m0dest is offline Find More Posts by m0dest
Last edited by m0dest; Dec 09, 2012 at 11:26 PM.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 11:28 PM
TEAM EXTREME!
High Prairie, WA
Joined Nov 2007
1,675 Posts
If you want the cheapest good servos for this airplane, I would recommend the Hitec 7950TH. For a little more, the JR 8911HVs are excellent.