Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:31 PM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glewis View Post
How about a GWS 40mm EDF, will that fit...
Too bad, I have a couple of those that need a job.
Looks good man. Too bad those fan units are so expensive!
Glenn
Hi Glenn,

I do have a couple older kits I did for use with GWS fans. The F-15 uses 40mm fans has a ws of 17" and is 26" long. The Mig takes 40 or 50mm fans, has a ws of 19" and is 27" long. Both fly well but do not come close to the scale look of the current UMX MiG.

Dr John
pmpjohn is offline Find More Posts by pmpjohn
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:25 PM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
Slide the motor leads through the precut slot into the center channel while also sliding the inboard fan mounting tab into the slot in the inboard nacelle side. Glue the outboard nacelle side to the wing while sliding the outboard fan mounting tab through its slot. The forward point of the nacelle side will need to be pined into position as shown until the glue dries.

From scrap 6mm foam using a sharp hobby knife and a straight edge cut 4 6mm triangle strips. Glue a strip along both top side edges of each nacelle bottom leaving the alignment tabs standing proud.

When the glue from the last two steps is dry, glue the nacelle bottoms to the nacelle sides
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:53 PM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
Once the glue on the nacelles is fully dry sand a radius on the bottom corners. Start with a fairly sharp radius at the front and work toward a more rounded corner at the rear. Since this is a belly flopper I covered the nacelle bottoms with 3/4oz fiberglass cloth laying it up about 3/8 to 1/2" up the nacelle sides to help hold the corners together. I painted the bottoms black not for scale reasons but for orientation assistance and to hide the green streaks from grass landings.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:07 AM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
The motor wires from both Rx will need to be extended to reach from the Rx mounted inline on the floor at the rear of the cocpit back to the fan connectors. I used the wire from heavy duty servo extentions for this. Secure these wires into the corners of the channel with bits of tape to prevent them from getting tangled in the elevator control rod. Feed the aileron servo wires through the notches provided in the sides of the nacelles to the center channel and forward into the Rx area. Servos should be centered and have output arms installed before pressing into the cutouts. Secure servos with a dab of hot glue on the mounting tabs. If using linier servos on a non-cutout wing, hot glue to the surface in the same location shown. Mount the elevator servo into its cutout in the center channel or surface mount linier servo at same location.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:48 AM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
Using a cutoff disk in a rotory tool cut out the center section of the carbon fiber elevator pivot bushing. Cut a 7" length of .080" carbon fiber rod. Size the small hole in the plywood elevator control horn to fit the "Z bend" wire you are using for the control rod. Slide the carbon rod through the pivot bushings placing the control horn on the rod as it passes through the center cutout. Center the rod in the fuselage and glue the horn to the rod. I prefer to use it small amount of epoxy for this joint as I have had CA wick up the rod and glue it to the bushing :<( Using two equally sized blocks to support the elevators, glue them to the carbon rod. Position the inner edges of the elevators about 1/32" from the ends of the bushings. Ensure the control horn is at 90 deg from the elevators.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:50 AM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,724 Posts
I saw these fan units in the LHS the other day. The fan and housing set is only 15 bucks. I also saw a brushless motor and it is $39.99! I wasn't sure if it is the one that fits the fan unit, it was over in the micro heli stuff but it was Eflite and blue in color.
Looks to me the motor that fits the fan is 12mm in diameter?
There is a 12mm brushed motor there for a direct drive tail rotor that might work too.
Maybe a GWS IPS brushed motor would fit?
That way the AR6400 could be set up to run a single external ESC and the motors wired in parallel.
Glenn
glewis is offline Find More Posts by glewis
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:12 AM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
The proper motor for the MiG 15 is # EFLM30180MDFA. It is an 11750kv inrunner and lists for $19.99 on HH site right now. I don't think GWS brushed motors would get this bird off the ground.

Dr John
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:42 AM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,724 Posts
Oh, I see it's a 10mm motor. I think the one I was looking at the LHS was 12mm and it was 39.99. Couldn't have been the same one but it looks just like the pic on the Horizon site.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 07:25 AM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
Size the holes in the aileron control horns to match the "Z bend" wires you are using and glue them to the inner ends of the ailerons flush with the top surface. Bend two "Z bend" links for each side long enough to overlap at the center. Install one link into each servo horn and one into each control horn. Slide a piece of heat shrink tube over both pairs of links. With both the servos and the ailerons in their centered positions heat the shrink tube. I use a soldering iron and place a piece of cardboard under the tube to protect the foam from the heat.

Make the elevator control rod in a similar manner but use a length of .080" carbon rod for the center of the rod. Center the elevator servo and set the elevators at a 1-2 deg up when shrinking the final joint. After test flying to ensure trims are correct wick a drop of CA into each end of the shink tubes to fully secure them.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:15 AM
EDF Addicted
Ocala,Florida
Joined Sep 2005
5,309 Posts
John, I'll have to get a kit soon, loved how it flew at Mulberry,can you bring one to FITS please
MustangAce17 is offline Find More Posts by MustangAce17
Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:31 PM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
Hi Ace

Actually I plan to bring a few "kits to FITS". Maybe Glenn will be over his sticker shock on the price of the fans by then;<). If not maybe I can interest him in a Jumping Bean.

Dr. Johns UMX Jumping Bean (4 min 40 sec)

Dr John
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:59 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,724 Posts
[QUOTE=pmpjohn;23579282]Hi Ace

Actually I plan to bring a few "kits to FITS". Maybe Glenn will be over his sticker shock on the price of the fans by then;<). LOL!

If not maybe I can interest him in a Jumping Bean.
Now that does look interesting. What equipment does it use?

Glenn
Old Dec 20, 2012, 07:16 PM
EDF Addicted
Ocala,Florida
Joined Sep 2005
5,309 Posts
oh ya I want one of those to. I forgot about that one until you mentioned it, i better sell some stuff off
MustangAce17 is offline Find More Posts by MustangAce17
Old Dec 20, 2012, 08:46 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
3,996 Posts
I have a couple of 35mm fans---Would these fit???

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Dec 20, 2012, 09:10 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,724 Posts
In the first post John says 30mm fans won't fit so I would suppose 35's won't fit either.