HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 07, 2012, 02:15 PM
United States, MI, Royal Oak
Joined Nov 2005
1,377 Posts
What a great little model! Very nice job.
JGuilty13 is online now Find More Posts by JGuilty13
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2012, 03:05 PM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
Thanks Guilty,

This one has been a lot of fun.

Dr John
pmpjohn is offline Find More Posts by pmpjohn
Old Dec 07, 2012, 03:18 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,488 Posts
Wow, I'll have to look this one over carefully. Seems pretty cool!
Eddie P is online now Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2012, 10:11 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,630 Posts
Dr. John,

Well done!
Love the sound of those twin DFs.

Are you happy with the flight characteristics of the Hyp VX (2S) 500 @ 26g?
Hyp VX (2S) 400 might be an excellent option @ 22g.

rc
RCBABBEL is online now Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2012, 11:33 PM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
Hey RC

The two fans at full chat pull right at 100mah per min. I am getting 4 min flights at the 80% discharge point. They are still pulling strong at this point. I would have to give up almost a full min of flight time using the 400mah pack. There are other places in the build I can shave well over 4grs without losing time and increase performance as well. I hit a stand still during the build waiting for plastic for the thrust tubes and spent way to much time on the finish of the top side. I could lose 2/3 of the fiberglass and 3/4 of the WBPU and take off 1/2 oz or more. After the first few cycles I bumped the charge rate up to 600mah and have done several sessions of hot turn around with no time between fly, charge, fly without any temp problems and have been totally satisfied with battery performance.

Dr John
Old Dec 08, 2012, 11:59 PM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
3,348 Posts
Oh this is cool... i may just have to get me one
invertmast is online now Find More Posts by invertmast
Old Dec 09, 2012, 12:22 AM
United States, CO, Westminster
Joined Jul 2011
575 Posts
You ever plan on going 3s?
chester2240 is offline Find More Posts by chester2240
Old Dec 09, 2012, 08:01 AM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chester2240 View Post
You ever plan on going 3s?
Short story, NO.

This system has been dead reliable for me on 2s. Half the gear I have in this bird had well over 100 flights on it before I gutted my first MiG15. There has been almost no reports of power system failure on 2s. The guys who have tried 3s have reported many motor and electronics failures. I will take reliable.

Dr John
Old Dec 09, 2012, 09:04 AM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
Once you are happy with the blending of the spackle work, install the top engine nacelles. Note that these parts only fit in one position. Sand the top edges to roll down to a feathered edge around the perimiter except across the rear edge. Glue into place as shown.

Sand the canopy block to shape as shown. Spackle and sand the surface so it blends smoothly into the cocpit opening. Cut a scrap piece of 3mm foam 1/2" long and the width of the inside cocpit opening at the front of the cocpit. Glue this tab to the bottom front of the canopy leaving 3/16" hanging out the front. This will be the forward canopy hold down. It may require a little sanding on the top surface of the tab to allow the canopy to slide all the way into position.

Use a small amount of epoxy to glue one of the provided magnets to the center of the shelf at the rear of the cocpit opening. After the epoxy has cured fold a 90 deg bend in a small piece of waxpaper. Place the waxpaper on the cocpit sides and up tight to the front of the turtle deck. Place the second magnet on top of the first one trapping the waxpaper into position. Place the canopy into position and press down lightly onto the magnets. This should leave a slight depression in the bottom of the canopy. Cut a shallow pocket at this depression so the cocpit will sit down flush on the cocpit sides. Fill this pocket with epoxy and place the canopy into position until the epoxy has cured.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 09:18 AM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,462 Posts
Subscribed as well.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:55 PM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
Preping fans

When dealing with such small amounts of thrust every little bit helps. Pic Build 7 shows the motor wires lined up one behind the other, headed 90 deg away from the motor. The first 1/2" of the wires have been wicked with med CA to hold them in position. Before applying the CA have the wires on the port (left) motor exiting to the 1:30 position and the wires on the starboard motor exiting to the 10:30 position. With a sharp hobby knife cut a slot 1/16 x 3/8" along the axis of the thrust tubes where the wires will exit. The tubes are made of a semi flexable plastic and you can work the motor connector through an undersized opening. Slide the tubes onto the rear of the fan shrouds to the lip and observing the 1:30 and 10:30 positions tape the tubes to the shrouds. I used Blenderm hinge tape for this.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:04 PM
United States, CO, Westminster
Joined Jul 2011
575 Posts
Ive not seen much testing of the Eflight 28mmEDF how much thrust are you getting and whats the weight? How do you think the GP 30mm will do in the mig29? Sorry i have many questions
chester2240 is offline Find More Posts by chester2240
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:37 PM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chester2240 View Post
Ive not seen much testing of the Eflight 28mmEDF how much thrust are you getting and whats the weight? How do you think the GP 30mm will do in the mig29? Sorry i have many questions
All my testing has been in flight. If you are looking for numbers look at "nitro charged's " UMX MiG-15 thread. He has done quite a bit of bench testing.

If you read my first post in this thread I specificly state there is not enough room in the nacelles for 30s.

Dr John
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:46 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,859 Posts
How about a GWS 40mm EDF, will that fit...
Too bad, I have a couple of those that need a job.
Looks good man. Too bad those fan units are so expensive!
Glenn
glewis is online now Find More Posts by glewis
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:01 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glewis View Post
How about a GWS 40mm EDF, will that fit...
Too bad, I have a couple of those that need a job.
Looks good man. Too bad those fan units are so expensive!
Glenn
I think about me on my death bed and the kids comming to see me in cars i bought them ,the wife all dressed up in a 200 dollar dress with matching purse and shoes .Thats when i say to myself ( i wish i would have bought those very nice fans) joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup