HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:06 PM
Joined Aug 2012
1,317 Posts
Tx mod

If like me, you've found the trim buttons on the Sky706 tx to be a pain in the ___ because they move too easily and are constantly out of position, here's an easy fix.

I just drilled a 1/16" hole in the center position of each trim button guard except for the throttle where I drilled it at the minimum position. Then I just put a little screw in each one putting tension on the button. Naturally you won't have the full range of trim adjustment, but if you need to move the buttons more than a fraction of an inch then you need swashplate adjustments, not trim adjustments.
Pa flyer is offline Find More Posts by Pa flyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 12, 2012, 03:40 PM
Joined Aug 2012
1,317 Posts
Metal geared servos?

Has anyone installed metal geared servos in the Wasp fbl? If you have , what make and model # fit? The plastic geared ones strip extremely easily, but I wonder if in doing so they save more expensive components.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 12:53 PM
United Kingdom, Wales, Aberystwyth
Joined Dec 2012
10 Posts
Hi all,

New to this forum and this helly (technically, not mine as my son just got it for Christmas!).

I noticed that Pa flyer put a "standard" JST connector on, to replace the rather odd one that skyartec provided. Is that rated high enough for this helly? I would have thought that 5A was not enough.

Cheers,

Fred
flabrosse is offline Find More Posts by flabrosse
Old Dec 25, 2012, 02:24 PM
Joined Aug 2012
1,317 Posts
Not recommended

Quote:
Originally Posted by flabrosse View Post
Hi all,

New to this forum and this helly (technically, not mine as my son just got it for Christmas!).

I noticed that Pa flyer put a "standard" JST connector on, to replace the rather odd one that skyartec provided. Is that rated high enough for this helly? would have thought that 5A was not enough.

Cheers,

Fred
It's not recommended but I have 11 or 12 batteries with jst connectors so I wanted to use them and took a chance. I haven't had any problems. I've checked all components and wires after flying and nothing is hot. I'm a noob though and don't push the heli hard at all. If I was flying 3D or even aggressively it might be a different story. I'll see what happens in the future.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 05:46 AM
United Kingdom, Wales, Aberystwyth
Joined Dec 2012
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa flyer View Post
It's not recommended but I have 11 or 12 batteries with jst connectors so I wanted to use them and took a chance. I haven't had any problems. I've checked all components and wires after flying and nothing is hot. I'm a noob though and don't push the heli hard at all. If I was flying 3D or even aggressively it might be a different story. I'll see what happens in the future.
Thanks for that!

I looked at the rating of the speed controller and it is 15A. Even a mini dean is not rated at that much (10A).

Has any one done a current test?

Fred
flabrosse is offline Find More Posts by flabrosse
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:44 PM
bc2960
Denver Colorado
Joined Sep 2008
4 Posts
Wasp X3V Receiver problem?

I have been flying this heli for a month but suddenly the receiver goes into failsafe after power up and usually within 30 seconds. Everything stays in whatever position it was in at that moment including power and no control on the transmitter is functional. I have to chase it down and disconnect power to stop the rotor. After unplugging the battery and plugging it back in it resets and will fly or hover for another 30 seconds or so and repeats again. Never will it continue for over 30 seconds. Any ideas, is it just a bad receiver. Its still under warranty so I guess I will send it in.
bc2960 is offline Find More Posts by bc2960
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:55 PM
Joined Aug 2012
1,317 Posts
Check your battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc2960 View Post
I have been flying this heli for a month but suddenly the receiver goes into failsafe after power up and usually within 30 seconds. Everything stays in whatever position it was in at that moment including power and no control on the transmitter is functional. I have to chase it down and disconnect power to stop the rotor. After unplugging the battery and plugging it back in it resets and will fly or hover for another 30 seconds or so and repeats again. Never will it continue for over 30 seconds. Any ideas, is it just a bad receiver. Its still under warranty so I guess I will send it in.
This may be unrelated but the other day just as mine was lifting off, it suddenly shot to the right, out of control and crashed. The motor kept running until I unplugged the battery. After checking over everything I found all the wire strands broken on one wire on the battery right at the connector and half the strands broken in the other wire. Apparently the circuit broke momentarily and it lost it's bind. Just something to check: put a volt-meter on the battery connector and wiggle the wires. Good luck.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:01 PM
Joined Aug 2012
1,317 Posts
Try Google

Quote:
Originally Posted by flabrosse View Post
Thanks for that!

I looked at the rating of the speed controller and it is 15A. Even a mini dean is not rated at that much (10A).

Has any one done a current test?

Fred
If you Google JST connector amperage there are a lot of sites and a lot of opinions and experiences on JST usage, some pro, some con. I intend to keep on using them.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:30 PM
Joined Oct 2012
780 Posts
Service life of X3V belt?

Does anyone know how long this is supposed to last? Should it be routinely replaced, and when?
Lentar is offline Find More Posts by Lentar
Old Feb 02, 2013, 01:26 PM
Joined Oct 2012
780 Posts
How is the canopy elastic band attached?

Do they use cyanoacrylate or hot glue to attach it to the canopy at the factory?
Old Mar 31, 2013, 03:08 PM
Joined Oct 2012
780 Posts
Vertical tail bobbing: cause?

I flew my X3V with the X302V Rx today, after over a month, to demonstrate it to a friend. It was quite windy and I still have my training gear installed.

It flew fine last time, but now it had the tail bobbing up and down. It was a low frequency movement. Everything seemed fine oterwise, and I landed it and re-initialized the gyro, but it still persisted. I didn't change any settings, but I did re-bind my transmitter to the heli, and the transmitter batteries were somewhat on the weaker side (NiMH at 1.26V, 2nd bar of battery level flickering).

I'm going to try flying again in still conditions with re-charged transmitter batteries. I've not changed the potentiometer settings from what it came with from the factory. Should I try decreasing the Ele/Ail gain on the transmitter or what?
Old Mar 31, 2013, 03:26 PM
Joined Aug 2012
1,317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lentar View Post
I flew my X3V with the X302V Rx today, after over a month, to demonstrate it to a friend. It was quite windy and I still have my training gear installed.

It flew fine last time, but now it had the tail bobbing up and down. It was a low frequency movement. Everything seemed fine oterwise, and I landed it and re-initialized the gyro, but it still persisted. I didn't change any settings, but I did re-bind my transmitter to the heli, and the transmitter batteries were somewhat on the weaker side (NiMH at 1.26V, 2nd bar of battery level flickering).

I'm going to try flying again in still conditions with re-charged transmitter batteries. I've not changed the potentiometer settings from what it came with from the factory. Should I try decreasing the Ele/Ail gain on the transmitter or what?
Too low of a head speed can cause that effect. So can a bent feathering shaft.
But if it flew fine the last time you flew it and you didn't change anything ,I don't know.

It's easy enough to just program in a little higher speed on the throttle curve and see if the bobbing goes away. Good luck.

ps- Are you sure you didn't change anything if you were using this tx with your Nano?
Old Mar 31, 2013, 04:27 PM
Joined Oct 2012
780 Posts
Quote:
Too low of a head speed can cause that effect. So can a bent feathering shaft.
But if it flew fine the last time you flew it and you didn't change anything ,I don't know.

It's easy enough to just program in a little higher speed on the throttle curve and see if the bobbing goes away. Good luck.

ps- Are you sure you didn't change anything if you were using this tx with your Nano?
By the way, does the gain require re-adjustment periodically, or does it remain unchanged?

Since I stored it after the last flight, it may not be the feathering shaft after all?
Old Mar 31, 2013, 06:16 PM
Joined Aug 2012
1,317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lentar View Post
By the way, does the gain require re-adjustment periodically, or does it remain unchanged?

Since I stored it after the last flight, it may not be the feathering shaft after all?
The gain shouldn't need re-adjustment: I've never had to re-adjust mine. You could go up and down several points from your current settings in the tx and see if it improves anything.

The original feathering shaft (pitch axis) in my Wasp was hardened and cracked at the threads as the result of a crash. The replacements are butter soft. I straightened them by putting one end in a padded vise and bending them with my fingers!

You can usually tell if they're bent if your blade tracking keeps on changing.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 11:54 PM
Joined Oct 2012
780 Posts
Quote:
The gain shouldn't need re-adjustment: I've never had to re-adjust mine. You could go up and down several points from your current settings in the tx and see if it improves anything.

The original feathering shaft (pitch axis) in my Wasp was hardened and cracked at the threads as the result of a crash. The replacements are butter soft. I straightened them by putting one end in a padded vise and bending them with my fingers!

You can usually tell if they're bent if your blade tracking keeps on changing.
The blade tracking seems fine, but I noticed a wobble on the ground (concrete), so I'm guessing it could be the main shaft or pitch axis? I'll remove the blades and run it without them to see if I can isolate it any further.