HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 05, 2012, 10:47 AM
Joined Oct 2012
885 Posts
Help!
Troubleshoot: 6 ch FBL violent roll movement to left on takeoff but static tests OK?

Hi,

I had carefully set up my Skyartec Wasp X3V, but while trying to get it to take off, it had a violent roll/cartwheel to the left before the training gear righted it. The tip of the main rotor may have touched the ground, but everything looks undamaged.

All swash movements seem OK, and it is level. I did not mess around with gyro gain or agility settings. Gyro seems to be working OK (tested by moving the heli around). I used all the manufacturer settings except pitch settings on the NASA 701 fully programmable transmitter, which I changed slightly.

I recently changed the pitch servo, replacing with the factory replacement.

I don't know what further troubleshooting I could try?

This helicopter is now totally useless as I can't even get it off the ground, so please help if you can.
Lentar is online now Find More Posts by Lentar
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2012, 11:29 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
Do you mean it's rotating (yawing) clockwise and tipping left/right? That would be fairly normal. Training gear can adversely effect some flybarless helsi as the control software is not programmed to handle it. Yawing on spool up is fairly common because it can take the gyro time to catch up. Tipping on take off is also common because you are pushing air and it has to go somewhere. You also have translating tendency to deal with which makes the heli lean right. You might want to get yourself a piece of eggcrate lighting grid from a building supply store and suspend it about 2 feet above ground for a launch pad, while you learn. It will defeat the air currents you have to deal with on take-off. Here's a picture, so you know what I'm talking about: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...9QEwAg&dur=331
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Last edited by Balr14; Dec 05, 2012 at 11:41 AM.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 12:21 PM
Joined Oct 2012
885 Posts
Its a wild, uncontollable tipover to the left. I thought that FBL helis take off smoothly, and to get it into the air, the only control movement is pushing the throttle stick smoothly forwards? My aim is to get it into the air smoothly. Other than the lighting grid, should I try giving right aileron while taking off? (Again I thought you don't do this with FBL?)

PS: One thing I did after binding the heli and allowing gyro to initialize, I turned it over to attach the canopy, could this movement have messed up the gyro?
Old Dec 05, 2012, 12:53 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
I don't have an X3V, so I can't say exactly how they behave. But, from my experience with the older Wasp and other flybarless micros, you aren't describing anything I would consider real unusual. All required considerable attention to get them off the ground cleanly. My Genius would lean and scoot across the floor like a scared rat unless you were very quick and it has accelerometers along with a 3 axis gyro. Of course, I don't have any idea how bad this tip left problem is. It's entirely possible you have a bad gyro. I always let 3 axis gyros initialize for at least 30 seconds without touching them. The older Wasp used to play "Oh Suzanna" to let you know when it was done. After that, you can turn the heli over.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:00 PM
Joined Oct 2012
885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
I don't have an X3V, so I can't say exactly how they behave. But, from my experience with the older Wasp and other flybarless micros, you aren't describing anything I would consider real unusual. All required considerable attention to get them off the ground cleanly. My Genius would lean and scoot across the floor like a scared rat unless you were very quick and it has accelerometers along with a 3 axis gyro. Of course, I don't have any idea how bad this tip left problem is. It's entirely possible you have a bad gyro. I always let 3 axis gyros initialize for at least 30 seconds without touching them. The older Wasp used to play "Oh Suzanna" to let you know when it was done. After that, you can turn the heli over.
Yes this one also plays that. I never turned it before it was done. I also checked the tail gyro/rotor for gyro action, servo movement direction to gyro response and rudder movement of tail rotor blades, and all are OK. This problem is so bad, I can't even risk a hover till I find out whats wrong. (have to admit I'm playing with the idea of having my wife video it while I try and replicate the problem. When it gets totaled in front of her, it'll give me an excuse to get a replacement!)
Old Dec 06, 2012, 12:47 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,319 Posts
You may not be describing anything unusual as FBL systems do not function properly until the heli is in the air. Obviously ome FBL systems are better than others. With the worse ones, you have to yank the throttle stick suddenly to get the heli in the air so as to allow the FBL system to do its work. I think you have to ask other owners about this.
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Dec 06, 2012, 02:20 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
I would talk to Max here: http://www.rcgroups.com/park-flying-model-planes-611/. Just post your problem. If you are in the USA, you may be able to send it to him. This is the US distributor for SkyArtec.