HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 04, 2012, 09:46 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,629 Posts
Discussion
Radio Talk

As this thread is no longer focused on a radio for sale, I figure we can keep it open to ask/answer questions regarding radio selection for prospective buyers and current users.

This is not to deteriorate into wars, as I want to be sensitive to the fact that we all have brand loyalties...This is for enlightenment and sharing findings, experiences, etc.

When possible, backup posts with some evidence, or any other factual data.
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by bsbauman; Dec 08, 2012 at 02:02 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2012, 01:28 AM
Foam is good.
Tucker, GA
Joined Dec 2007
2,409 Posts
Great lookin TX. I wish I could but my obsession with surface vehicles and motorcycles has rendered me on the "do not buy" list.
HomeDaddy is offline Find More Posts by HomeDaddy
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:26 AM
It's just a hobby
USA, GA, Hoschton
Joined Nov 2005
10,206 Posts
Brad are you getting the 14SG?

MLT
MLT67 is offline Find More Posts by MLT67
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:58 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,629 Posts
Ill get the 14sg if this sells...otherwise, I may wait till march for my Bday..
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nice Pic
Old Dec 07, 2012, 12:53 PM
Dacula, GA
Joined Feb 2008
3,817 Posts
I know you all hate Spektrum for your own reasons. In any case, I did see an issue with my Dx8 that probably applies to most Spektrum radios that could explain some radio issues. Their antenna design just plain sucks as you probably all know. That folding thing often breaks (well, always eventually) as mine on the DX8 recently did. It then caused part of the antenna wire to poke out and get pulled. This resulted in the tiny bnc type connector coming unplugged off the circuit board. Fortunately for me all I was flying was the Alula which is flown close in so just resulted in a momentary signal loss. Still, stupid, stupid design if you ask me. That and the roller wheel of course.

Fix was easy to do as I just opened the radio and plugged the Antenna back in and put some electrical tape to help it from happening again.
rpstar is online now Find More Posts by rpstar
Old Dec 07, 2012, 01:51 PM
Chris Khosravi - KK4LJH
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Jul 2004
873 Posts
Seems like the newer radios are having less and less quality these days. I was thinking the other day about possibly upgrading to a new radio with telemetry but I don't think I will unless the manufactures make a change. I'll stick with my JR 10X

-Chris
Khosravi is offline Find More Posts by Khosravi
Old Dec 07, 2012, 02:00 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,629 Posts
That happened to my 6i several times... if you can go without it for a couple weeks, HH will service it free of charge, but as you said it is a poor design that will eventually fail if not handled with care.

In regards to the rollers, I have also had those go out on me twice. The best way to minimize damage to the roller is to only use it as a roller; meaning instead of pressing down on the roller wheel to select, use the select button on the left instead.

I would also highly recommend anyone flying JR or Spektrum to send in their radio at least every other year for a free service check up. (I sent mine in annually) Every time I have ever sent it in, they told me I had low RF power output and they replaced some parts for better range. Better to find out from them first, than trying to troubleshoot after an accident.

Futaba has checked out perfectly on 3 separate occasions without issues
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2012, 02:04 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymnast View Post
Seems like the newer radios are having less and less quality these days. I was thinking the other day about possibly upgrading to a new radio with telemetry but I don't think I will unless the manufactures make a change. I'll stick with my JR 10X

-Chris
+1, I think quality really took a turn south with the release of the DX6i and newer radios that were under the JR/Spektrum cooperation. My older JR radios always felt far superior quality to the new stuff, even more solid than the 11x I used to fly.

I do think Futaba has done a great job of keeping up with quality though...
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2012, 02:23 PM
Dacula, GA
Joined Feb 2008
3,817 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
The best way to minimize damage to the roller is to only use it as a roller; meaning instead of pressing down on the roller wheel to select, use the select button on the left instead.
Great tip. I never realized that. I'll start using that as the aluminum replacement parts for the Dx6i fit on the Dx8 with the exception of the roller wheel so it's still plastic. The trim switches have an equally stupid design as the roller and break (especially if used in the cold) so I replaced them all with aluminum ones first thing.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 05:14 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,629 Posts
Its a good tip, but really it just puts off the inevitable.

...or you could step up and get yourself a quality radio I think I might know someone selling one
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2012, 06:23 PM
Dacula, GA
Joined Feb 2008
3,817 Posts
Quote:
Its a good tip, but really it just puts off the inevitable.

...or you could step up and get yourself a quality radio I think I might know someone selling one

Too invested in Spektrum. Other than these minor issue the Dx8 suits me well. Futuba is plenty good, but they screw their customers over in their own ways as much as Horizon does.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 07:29 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpstar View Post
Too invested in Spektrum. Other than these minor issue the Dx8 suits me well. Futuba is plenty good, but they screw their customers over in their own ways as much as Horizon does.
I thought I was too invested in spektrum too, but after brownouts I realized being too invested in a radio signal that I have no confidence in is a pretty big waste of money... but to each his own.

In what ways do you feel Futaba screws their customers?

Sure they charge a service fee, but it is so rare and uncommon to ever have an issue that requires the radio to be sent in. As a smaller company, it is their nominal service fee that keeps the radios in working condition; it's a totally different business model than HH, but I feel they do not maliciously charge or take advantage of customers. Heck the new radios are now fully backwards compatible and can use any Futaba 2.4 rx made (including FHSS FASST FASSTest, etc.) big savings on those FHSS rx's too. 8ch for $60 and 6ch for $35.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2012, 08:50 PM
Dacula, GA
Joined Feb 2008
3,817 Posts
Quote:
I thought I was too invested in spektrum too, but after brownouts I realized being too invested in a radio signal that I have no confidence in is a pretty big waste of money... but to each his own.

In what ways do you feel Futaba screws their customers?

Sure they charge a service fee, but it is so rare and uncommon to ever have an issue that requires the radio to be sent in. As a smaller company, it is their nominal service fee that keeps the radios in working condition; it's a totally different business model than HH, but I feel they do not maliciously charge or take advantage of customers. Heck the new radios are now fully backwards compatible and can use any Futaba 2.4 rx made (including FHSS FASST FASSTest, etc.) big savings on those FHSS rx's too. 8ch for $60 and 6ch for $35.
Futaba has played games with their signaling and having radios that support some protocols but not others and such. Dorks. They did it in an attempt to get their hideous pricing down to compete initially. Don't know the state of affairs now but don't care. I think they are well engineered but they like others screw you when it suits them.

DSMX is every bit as good as the others so the brownout talk is just pure crap in my opinion. DSM2, yeah, but DSMX I don't believe it.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 10:00 PM
It's just a hobby
USA, GA, Hoschton
Joined Nov 2005
10,206 Posts
Radio wars!!!!!
MLT67 is offline Find More Posts by MLT67
Old Dec 08, 2012, 01:32 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,629 Posts
NO WAR!
I just seek enlightenment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpstar View Post
Futaba has played games with their signaling and having radios that support some protocols but not others and such. Dorks. They did it in an attempt to get their hideous pricing down to compete initially. Don't know the state of affairs now but don't care. I think they are well engineered but they like others screw you when it suits them.

DSMX is every bit as good as the others so the brownout talk is just pure crap in my opinion. DSM2, yeah, but DSMX I don't believe it.
Pretty strong accusation. What are you basing this on?

That first part of your response is so vague, I really have no clue what you are getting at- games, protocols and such? Starting to sound like a conspiracy theory
I would be interested in learning more as I do genuinely care and have never before heard those arguments ... can you elaborate?

Aside from higher price point, I just don't understand how they have screwed any customers. My perception of them may not be 100% correct, based on what you are saying; can you shed some more light on it?

In regards to your holding DSMX in such high esteem; everyone put DSM2 on the same pedestal until they themselves experienced problems. The story is and was always the same: "Ive never had a problem, until ..."

My story with DSMX was absolutely no different, I never had a single issue, till I lost complete control over my aircraft at DFC. The radio was a JR11x that upgraded to DSMX at SEFF, paired with the 6-channel DSMX rx with satellite, and installed on a plane that flew absolutely great and without issues for about 2 months until it totalled out when I lost signal. I watched my plane burry in, with no throttle control and no control surfaces responding; at the crash site the rx was blinking and everything appeared back to okay (no servos binding, esc and bec okay). You can call it black out , brown out, a poop poop, or lockout, OR one can keep their faith that DSMX will not fail simpily because it never happened to them yet.

I have seen DSMX fail first hand. Sure DSMX might have a more reliable system than DSM2, but the reality is while there are far fewer instances of signal loss on DSMX- it does still fail, just not as frequently as the DSM2.

"... they like others screw you when it suits them"
I am just trying to figure out who is screwing who, who the others are, how they are screwing customers, and how does this benefit any of the parties involved?

So many of us used to think we were too invested in Spek to consider anything else, I was one of them; and prior to some bad crashes, Mercer was also in the same boat. If you had asked him 12 months ago about swapping to Futaba, I think he'd say hell nah... that man was whistling a whole new tune after watching several of his new large planes go in from radio errors at events over the summer. I know I had prodded him a bit and I am sure other Futaba users were doing the same.

Heck before getting my first 9c; matt prodded me every time we flew that I needed to be on a better signal that the DSM transmitters provide.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by bsbauman; Dec 08, 2012 at 02:05 AM.