HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 16, 2012, 08:23 PM
Joined Mar 2006
177 Posts
sorry for the questions but
what size wire do you make the rotter shaft and what do you use for the bearing that the wire is inside
it looks like a small ball link at the end of the wire to conect to the servo????
tom
chem teacher2 is offline Find More Posts by chem teacher2
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:03 PM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Melrose, MA
Joined Jul 2005
1,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chem teacher2 View Post
sorry for the questions but
what size wire do you make the rotter shaft and what do you use for the bearing that the wire is inside
it looks like a small ball link at the end of the wire to conect to the servo????
tom
Don't remember off the top of my head, I'll take some pics and measurements tomorrow. I used the ball link and pushrod off a Blade mSR.

-A
AJWoods is offline Find More Posts by AJWoods
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:14 AM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Melrose, MA
Joined Jul 2005
1,355 Posts
1/32" music wire for the shaft
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:01 PM
Joined Mar 2006
177 Posts
thank you
i decided to use 1/16 aluminum tube for the bearing tube
just waiting on HK for a servo
tom
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:38 PM
miataman
Erie Pa.
Joined Oct 2007
663 Posts
I used 3mm square cf. It fit the music wire I had. Spins very free.
JCS
miatamama is offline Find More Posts by miatamama
Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:28 PM
miataman
Erie Pa.
Joined Oct 2007
663 Posts
Adam, My rotor spins clockwise, that makes the lower edge of each blade the leading edge. In my feeble mind this seems as the rotor would be pushing down not lifting.
Am I over thinking this??
JCS
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:12 PM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Melrose, MA
Joined Jul 2005
1,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miatamama View Post
Adam, My rotor spins clockwise, that makes the lower edge of each blade the leading edge. In my feeble mind this seems as the rotor would be pushing down not lifting.
Am I over thinking this??
JCS
Auto gyros create lift from the passage of air up through the rotor. They require negative pitch to maintain auto rotation, but it's the actual turning of the flow which results in the net lift force. I'll see if I can dig up a diagram that shows the forces involved, but for now the wikipedia article is actually pretty good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autogyro

-Adam
Old Dec 21, 2012, 06:35 PM
Joined Mar 2006
177 Posts
Adam
I am in the prosess of putting in the push rods and linkage
I would guess that rudder and elevator want to be as much as possible???
How much should the rottor tilt ?? either in degrees or inches/mm at the tip I have an inch up and down (side to side)
will be trying it out at indoor on Sunday
tom
Old Dec 21, 2012, 07:57 PM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Melrose, MA
Joined Jul 2005
1,355 Posts
Yeah, I've got everything moving as much as possible, in the video clip I move all the surface to their max extents at the beginning. Note that the rotor is trimmed slightly to the left, probably 5-8 degrees. If you have the rotor flat, there will be a significant right roll bias. For CG, the stub wings and horizontal tail should be parallel to the ground when holding the plane from the rotor shaft.

Post some pics if you get a chance, and good luck on the flight.

-A
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:01 AM
miataman
Erie Pa.
Joined Oct 2007
663 Posts
Mit, Thanks for plans and info. I wont get to try mine till jan 11. School is out for holiday vacation. Is there any other things other than a little left rotor trim we should know before the first flight?
JCS
Old Dec 22, 2012, 08:27 PM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Melrose, MA
Joined Jul 2005
1,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miatamama View Post
Mit, Thanks for plans and info. I wont get to try mine till jan 11. School is out for holiday vacation. Is there any other things other than a little left rotor trim we should know before the first flight?
JCS
Sweet!. Good luck with the flying. My only recommendation would be to do the first flights over soft ground.

-A
Old Dec 24, 2012, 05:30 PM
Joined Mar 2006
177 Posts
We guys that are building or have it built here is one thing not to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did not like the little stub wing so decided to just leave it off WRONG IDEA
took off in about 10feet and rolled over to the left and went straight in
will be rebuilding / building it new this week
This time i will build it like the plans and then get it flying befor i start messing with something that works. Hopefully smarter and wiser

tom
Old Dec 24, 2012, 05:45 PM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Melrose, MA
Joined Jul 2005
1,355 Posts
Sorry to hear about that. Did you hand launch it, or try a rolling takeoff? Rolling takeoff can be a bit tricky, particularly for the first trim flights.

Adam
Old Dec 26, 2012, 04:30 PM
Joined Mar 2006
177 Posts
hand launch but i think that the nose was a little up
I have built the subwing and hope to try it this sunday I also am building some foam rotors because the built up ones do not cone any at all
sunday night will give an update
tom
Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:07 PM
Joined Mar 2006
177 Posts
Ok Adam and anyone else help
On your Dec 21, 2012, 06:57 PM post you said to add 8 degrees of left trim. Mine wants to roll to the left should it want to roll right?
Are ailerons opposite to rotor? (If I tilt the rotor to the right will the plane go right?)
Post mortem
hand launched, left my hand tilted at about 15 degrees to the right flew out and started to tilt to the left moved aileron (Rotor tilt) to the right still was going left, tried a little right rudder still no luck hit the ground broke off motor so was done for the day
The foam rotors were over 2 grams heavier than the balsa. Figured that lighter was better so I added 6mm about a quarter of an inch to each tip dihedral Rotor. How much coning do you think the foam rotors do? Made a mount on a stick and ran around the living room it looks like they cone more (married for over 40 years wife thought I should be sent to the home old crazys) any suggestions .. How much dihedral do you suggest?
I would appreciate any suggestions.
tom