HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 09, 2012, 08:46 AM
Aerial videographer
Croatia, City of Zagreb, Zagreb
Joined Nov 2012
41 Posts
Just stick with it, its frustrating sometimes when you starting out in this hobbie, i got pissed of so many times but you learn fast and the guys on here are great people will always help out when and if they can..
ill try my best to help you guys as well.
Aerial Filming is offline Find More Posts by Aerial Filming
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2012, 09:10 AM
Pilot in Training
United States, NC, Asheville
Joined May 2012
231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigdogstix View Post
Right I'm struggling here and it's getting me pretty wound up.
If anyone has any suggestions apart from send the Tx and Rx back and go and buy one with a manual that makes sense I'd love to hear it.

I've set a couple of these up in the past and have never had this much trouble (I'm no expert believe me nor am I stupid) but this manual has got me beat.
I've tried numerous ways of trying to set the parameters for the Tx but to no avail if you follow the manual you get nowhere if you go on gut instinct you get a little further but then press the only button to save settings and your back to square one.

Progress so far is as follows,
I'm binded have set level in Ifly tools now ive moved on to the remote control screen and I need to calibrate the sticks on my Tx to centre everything as when I move the throttle the ailerons and elevators move as well and they are both showing permanently at 50% to the right so I need to adjust these in the Tx's menu this is where the manual doesn't tell you how to adjust them it just tells you where they are in the menu (I can see where they are I just need to be told how to adjust them & save them)
I hear you my friend.. no doubt this can be extremely frustrating.. so let’s see if the blind cant lead the blind because Im certainly no more experienced than you are..
How can I help?
At least you have set some of these up in the past, whereas I haven’t.. this is my very first attempt..

Well, seems we all agree the manuals are not much help, some information is missing, other info is wrong or does not match what we actually have and for the most part the way it was written does not always make sense.
Remember my previous post? The diagram in one manual for connecting the FC to the RX does not match the text diagram in the other manual – and neither one matches what is actually written on the FC board..

Don’t stress over the manuals my friend.. in fact, go with your gut instinct more than anything else. In my case, I looked a the manuals a few times just to get a vague idea of what might be what, then went with the little sense, instinct and experience I have – and no idea how I got it to even run.. I just jumped in and experimented.

A suggestion..
Im a very passionate and intense kind of guy, as it seems you are too..
I have little patience or tolerance for a lot of things and frustration can throw me over the edge really fast..
If I had tried to do this a few weeks ago.. forget it, all of this would be in the trash right now, or on its way back.
If you’ve seen my videos and my blog here, Ive been dealing with NooB RC issues for a while now with my RC trucks..
But you know, I cant begin to tell you how priceless it is to have friends here on this forum.. their expertise, knowledge and skills are what has gotten me to this point in an otherwise challenging hobby – be that technical, electronic, gizmos or whatever..
And I’ll never forget what someone here told me as I was about ready to explode (I’ll have to go back through all the posts to find it)..
This is not an instant gratification hobby.. even for the well experienced.
The only thing that will get you through it.. is PATIENCE.. PERSERVERANCE and the people here who are so generous with their time to give us assistance..
When you think about it.. that means a lot.
So, in reflection of that and remembering it always.. I have learned patience, knowing it might be next week, or month before I make any progress – and Im glad to have learned that lesson because even now I can still enjoy the frustration, rather than go Postal over it..

Ok, so having said that, Im trying to understand where you’re at..
You’re binded.. good, took me a lot to get there as you saw..
Did you see my videos?
Is that how yours looks?

What I discovered is that there are little buttons and things on the controller which can get pressed accidentally.. what I noticed is that on the screen, both left/right, top/bottom there are numbers on the edges and when you accidentally press these little buttons it makes the numbers go up or down (-120, -80 -40, etc) or up..
I have no idea what that means or how it affects anything, but I played with it and set all those numbers back to “0”.. I figured that made sense.
Honestly, there is this whole lengthy description in the manuals about the menus in the controller.. Ive never even tried going in there, other than scroll through to see if there was something that catches my interest..

I also noticed when I was in tools > controls.. that I had somehow accidentally checked the box next to one of them which says “Reverse”… ooops, so I unchecked it..

I also noted that on the bottom there is a SAVE (or Import/Export) tab to click when you’re done and it saves the parameters to your PC.. I did this several times just to see how it works..
But then I noticed there is another one “WRITE” and I read somewhere that if you don’t click that, it won’t save anything to the FC..

Well my friend, don’t know if any of that helps, Im not much further than you are, and unfortunately Im strictly a visual/graphical kind of person.. if I can’t see it, I have no idea.. can you make a video?
Im sure someone here will jump in and help us out.. lets just take a breath and be patient, that s the only way Ive survived this..
MJS88 is offline Find More Posts by MJS88
Old Dec 09, 2012, 12:10 PM
Canada, BC, Gibsons
Joined Apr 2011
209 Posts
Have you guys watched this setup video yet?
ideafly-4 setup quadcopter Hobbyking (17 min 46 sec)
1111Mavrick is offline Find More Posts by 1111Mavrick
Old Dec 09, 2012, 12:28 PM
United Kingdom, England, Southampton
Joined Nov 2012
60 Posts
Yes I have thanks Mavrick,

You'll all be pleased to know I've cracked it and had my first flight albeit very short as it's pretty windy here even so this thing it stable in the air and I can confirm that if the blades do get caught on anything they do cut out, ground effect and a gusty wind are not a good combo. Lol

Thanks to all for your help and advice, MJS88 standby for a video and full instructions, I tried and tried to save the settings on the Tx and finally it saved it, more luck than judgement i think.

P.S the Mrs likes it, the dogs not so keen.
pigdogstix is offline Find More Posts by pigdogstix
Old Dec 09, 2012, 12:40 PM
Pilot in Training
Joined May 2012
231 Posts
Quote:
Yes I have thanks Mavrick,

You'll all be pleased to know I've cracked it and had my first flight albeit very short as it's pretty windy here even so this thing it stable in the air and I can confirm that if the blades do get caught on anything they do cut out, ground effect and a gusty wind are not a good combo. Lol

Thanks to all for your help and advice, MJS88 standby for a video and full instructions, I tried and tried to save the settings on the Tx and finally it saved it, more luck than judgement i think.

P.S the Mrs likes it, the dogs not so keen.
AWESOME MAN!!
Dying to see those vids of yours because I found out today that nothing I did yesterday saved or works now.. Im comparing Mavs vid to my setup and trying to get this going..
Kudos on your 1st flight !!
I dont dare until Im absolutely certain Ive got this right!

ttyl !!
Old Dec 09, 2012, 01:04 PM
Pilot in Training
Joined May 2012
231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1111Mavrick View Post
Have you guys watched this setup video yet?
http://youtu.be/dgCtKuQclBI
Yes I have my friend.. and thanks so much for making it!
In fact, Ive watched it several times.. right now Im making a comp video so you can see the differences in the results Im getting, as compared to yours..

Watch for the upload later.. Im determined to make this work!
Old Dec 09, 2012, 01:28 PM
Canada, BC, Gibsons
Joined Apr 2011
209 Posts
MJS88 On a bit of a side note, you posted a picture earlier of the FC (flight controller) on your idea-fly4s and i see for some reason they sent you the old FC for the idea-fly4.
Your fight controller should say "Ifly-C4E" and not "Ifly-C4" If i were you i would have them send you the new FC because it will eventually support the GPS function when it comes out.
Now having said that, for the time being both FC should function exactly the same...... oh but waite..... if the new firmware is on your old FC then it might not work properly because the Ifly-C4E controller is supposed to support regular ESC`s unlike the Ifly-C4.

I hope I'm not confusing you and making matters worse but can u confirm which FC you have?
1111Mavrick is offline Find More Posts by 1111Mavrick
Last edited by 1111Mavrick; Dec 09, 2012 at 01:35 PM.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 01:57 PM
Joined Nov 2012
60 Posts
Ok let's see if we can get you to this stage.

I'll do a step by step and go from Binding even though we discussed it earlier in the thread, just incase we get another person with the same equipment and problems its all here.

1. Make sure your Tx is switched off, connect the wires from the FC to your Rx
2. plug the FC into your computer via USB cable
3. you will hear it bleep and a red light will appear on your Rx
4. next to the red light is the set button, push and hold this in untill the red light turns to a slow flashing yellow light.
5. now turn your Tx on and press menu-advanced-coding
6. it will say please wait..... the screen will go back to the advanced menu screen when it has coded but don't press anything leave it for a minute or so, then return to the main screen.
7. turn off the Tx and unplug the quad from the USB.
8. turn your Tx back on and then plug the quad into the USB.
9. you should now be binded.

set up in Ifly tools.

1.open ifly tools and on the State page
2. click on Read (bottom of page)
3. you should now have a yellow red and green light bottom left of the screen.
4. click on Set Level, making sure the quad is on a flat surface.
5. click on Remote control tab.
6. now go back to your Tx.

1.press and hold the menu button and turn the Tx on this takes you into the advanced settings menu.
2.go to model setting, press ok.
3. select ACRO, press ok.
4.press exit and turn off your Tx.
5.turn it on again in the normal way.

6. back in Iflytools now click on calibrate Rc push all the sticks around holding them for a moment in each position, check that your ailerons go left when you press left so on and so forth.
7. if any of the controls are reversed go back to your Tx menu-servo reverse there you will find they are all set to nor (normal) change whichever ones you need to by clicking the + or - buttons I had to reverse ailerons elevator and rudder. press exit.
8. make sure everything is round the right way and click on calibrate rc again (if its ghosted out just restart ifly tools again) you should now be able to make small adjustments if any of the sliders are jumping around using the fine controls on your Tx.
9.click on complete calibrate.

Next is the firmware
1. click on firmware tab
2. click on to select firmware bar
3. locate the folder with the latest firmware in should be in the zip folder with all the other ifly stuff.
4. click update that will go to 100%
5. follow the instructions in the ifly manual as the first time you go to update it, it comes back with an error, just click on update again and it will start.

that should keep you going for a while just remember when doing anything on the Tx menu just let it sit for a minute afterwards.

unfortunately my mrs took a photo instead of video so she stood there whilst i flew round the garden after taking a picture of the night sky, will get some video tomorrow.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 02:07 PM
Pilot in Training
Joined May 2012
231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1111Mavrick View Post
MJS88 On a bit of a side note, you posted a picture earlier of the FC (flight controller) on your idea-fly4s and i see for some reason they sent you the old FC for the idea-fly4.
Your fight controller should say "Ifly-C4E" and not "Ifly-C4" If i were you i would have them send you the new FC because it will eventually support the GPS function when it comes out.
Now having said that, for the time being both FC should function exactly the same...... oh but waite..... if the new firmware is on your old FC then it might not work properly because the Ifly-C4E controller is supposed to support regular ESC`s unlike the Ifly-C4.

I hope I'm not confusing you and making matters worse but can u confirm which FC you have?
Thanks my friend.. this has hopefully shed some a light on a lot of issues..

Confirmed.. look at page 3 of this thread, the picture there is of the FC I have installed.. and yes.. it is the C4.. so that means its the old controller?

@ DOG .. which one do you have buddy, the new or old ?

.. >> @ JONATHAN .. what do you know about this..??

Of course, not knowing this, I installed the FW update from the file provided by AF..
So that means I installed the new FW on an old controller..?
Could that be (one of) the sources of my problems?
How do I get back the old one?

In the meantime..
Im working with your (exceptional!) teaching video.. have it loaded right next to my Tools module for comparison and Im taking a video so you can see the differences between what your teaching, and what I actually have..

I realize the video is for the I-4, not the 4-S, so here are the basic differences that are throwing me off..

1. Yours has those LED lights to give you a visual on modes..
This one doesn’t.. no LED’s that I could find anywhere. In fact, turned out all the lights to see if something flashes.. nope.
2. You’re using a totally different radio than the one which comes with this.. so its hard to get a bearing on how mine relates to yours.
For example, when you move the joysticks, in the “State” module yours moves according to the position of the stick.. note in my video, I move the sticks and nothing happens..
AF says its supposed to be that way because its not flying..?
So how comes yours does?
- but when I grab the bird and move it, then the diagram does move, you saw that in my video.
You’ll see when I upload the vid.. the sticks on my TX move the boxes in totally opposite directions from yours.. and the very top one, the AILE is stuck all the way (to the left). I have as of this moment not figured out how to either reset or change the settings on my TX.
Im getting twitching again too.

Additionally, what I accomplished (if anything) last nite is now worthless because it didn’t save and Im back to square 1 again..
I really have to emphasize this point > I got it turned ON.. and couldn’t get it turned OFF.. had to disconnect the battery..
Ah-ah.. Im NOT putting any props on this things or attempting any flight until all these issues are totally resolved.. nothing scares me more than an out of control Quad..
I’d freak if that happened after take-off –

So I’ll keep on this and upload the comp vid later on..

Thanks Man!
Old Dec 09, 2012, 02:08 PM
Pilot in Training
Joined May 2012
231 Posts
Quote:
Ok let's see if we can get you to this stage.

I'll do a step by step and go from Binding even though we discussed it earlier in the thread, just incase we get another person with the same equipment and problems its all here.

1. Make sure your Tx is switched off, connect the wires from the FC to your Rx
2. plug the FC into your computer via USB cable
3. you will hear it bleep and a red light will appear on your Rx
4. next to the red light is the set button, push and hold this in untill the red light turns to a slow flashing yellow light.
5. now turn your Tx on and press menu-advanced-coding
6. it will say please wait..... the screen will go back to the advanced menu screen when it has coded but don't press anything leave it for a minute or so, then return to the main screen.
7. turn off the Tx and unplug the quad from the USB.
8. turn your Tx back on and then plug the quad into the USB.
9. you should now be binded.

set up in Ifly tools.

1.open ifly tools and on the State page
2. click on Read (bottom of page)
3. you should now have a yellow red and green light bottom left of the screen.
4. click on Set Level, making sure the quad is on a flat surface.
5. click on Remote control tab.
6. now go back to your Tx.

1.press and hold the menu button and turn the Tx on this takes you into the advanced settings menu.
2.go to model setting, press ok.
3. select ACRO, press ok.
4.press exit and turn off your Tx.
5.turn it on again in the normal way.

6. back in Iflytools now click on calibrate Rc push all the sticks around holding them for a moment in each position, check that your ailerons go left when you press left so on and so forth.
7. if any of the controls are reversed go back to your Tx menu-servo reverse there you will find they are all set to nor (normal) change whichever ones you need to by clicking the + or - buttons I had to reverse ailerons elevator and rudder. press exit.
8. make sure everything is round the right way and click on calibrate rc again (if its ghosted out just restart ifly tools again) you should now be able to make small adjustments if any of the sliders are jumping around using the fine controls on your Tx.
9.click on complete calibrate.

Next is the firmware
1. click on firmware tab
2. click on to select firmware bar
3. locate the folder with the latest firmware in should be in the zip folder with all the other ifly stuff.
4. click update that will go to 100%
5. follow the instructions in the ifly manual as the first time you go to update it, it comes back with an error, just click on update again and it will start.

that should keep you going for a while just remember when doing anything on the Tx menu just let it sit for a minute afterwards.

unfortunately my mrs took a photo instead of video so she stood there whilst i flew round the garden after taking a picture of the night sky, will get some video tomorrow.
WOW!! I didnt see this post because I was busy answering Mavrick..
Ok, so let me go through this and give it a shot..
Old Dec 09, 2012, 02:14 PM
Aerial videographer
Joined Nov 2012
41 Posts
pigdogstix, is your quad ok are you flying now?
MJS88 can you email me the picture of your FC im concerned with it saying Ifly-C4 on it please
thanks
Old Dec 09, 2012, 02:31 PM
Joined Nov 2012
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerial Filming View Post
MJS88 can you email me the picture of your FC im concerned with it saying Ifly-C4 on it please
thanks
Yes I can confirm mine is the Ifly-4CE and I have had a short flight.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 02:32 PM
Aerial videographer
Joined Nov 2012
41 Posts
Good to hear it Pigdogstix enjoy your machine look forward to seeing some video's and sorry you has some trouble to start of with, I dont write the stuff that comes with it im afraid but maybe i will try go through it and re wright it to make more sense.
thanks again
Old Dec 09, 2012, 02:33 PM
Pilot in Training
Joined May 2012
231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerial Filming View Post
thanks
AF > look at page 3 of this thread, that is the picture.. I will email you one anyway right now..
Old Dec 09, 2012, 02:36 PM
Aerial videographer
Joined Nov 2012
41 Posts
Hi MJS88 i have just read the tread and seen the picture im sending a harsh email to the factory now but i need the photos as proof to get this sorted out for you as soon as i can.