HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 08, 2012, 02:18 PM
Canada, BC, Gibsons
Joined Apr 2011
215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJS88 View Post
I don't even have a USB cable and no idea what to do with that little module that came with the radio.. Haha!

That little "module" is a receiver.The transmitter and receiver first need to be bound together so they know to only talk to each other and nobody els.

Every brand of radios are a little different in the binding prosess.... I don't have a wfly radio so i cant help you there but Aerial Filming has posted a video and PDF

After they are bound together then you need to connect the receiver to the flight controller....... then the FC to the computer to calibrate it and set it up.

Good luck!!
1111Mavrick is offline Find More Posts by 1111Mavrick
Last edited by 1111Mavrick; Dec 09, 2012 at 01:55 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2012, 02:22 PM
Pilot in Training
United States, NC, Asheville
Joined May 2012
231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1111Mavrick View Post
Sorry to hear you guys are having trouble setting up your new 4`s`s
If Aerial Filming is willing to send me one for free I would be happy to do a video for the complete newbie from opening the box to first flight.
MJS88 you need to supply your own mini USB cable to connect the FC to your computer..... usually people have them lying around because they are so common.
Here is what they look like
Yes indeed my friend.. this is truly a NooB's worst nitemare..
Im already doing the video as I go from step to step.. which hasnt been very far as you can tell (LoL!!)

Here’s how I see it, from a New-To-This perspective..

a. The manuals, although a general guide, are not very helpful to the inexperienced because it seems to me they were written based on the assumption the user has some advanced knowledge of what they are talking about..
Also, the visuals are not much help either since what I have, does not match the few pictures included in the manual..
Realistically, most people go by VISUALS rather than a bunch of text and tech jargon – specially when it was translated and ends up not making any sense.
All in all – the manual and setup instructions are not helpful to those who don’t have the experience.
I looked at as many videos I could find on the matter – and guess what, again they are lacking a comprehensible, step by step procedure for those who have never done this..
(Im going to re-write those manuals!)

b. Im still at stage 1 here..
As I had asked in the previous post.. what am I supposed to do with that little module that came with the Radio?
Im guessing that is the RX module?
Great.. but what do I do with it ??
I don’t see anywhere to plug it in on the iFly..?
If I could at least get past THAT part, there might be hope!

Do you see what I mean?
Just getting past this can be an obstacle because nowhere, or any video addresses this probably most simple of matters..
Neither do the manuals..

I’ll worry about the USB later, even if I have to go buy one.. LoL!!

At this very moment I am going to try to figure something out – on my own – with no help, just using what little common sense and experience I have..
I will report my findings in just a little while..

PS. THANK YOU MAVRICK for all your help!
Same goes for Jonathan/AF and everyone else..
MJS88 is offline Find More Posts by MJS88
Old Dec 08, 2012, 02:27 PM
Pilot in Training
Joined May 2012
231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1111Mavrick View Post
That little "module" is actually a receiver.The transmitter and receiver first need to be bound together so they know to only talk to each other and nobody els.

Every brand of radios are a little different in the binding prosess.... I don't have a wfly radio so i cant help you there but Aerial Filming has posted a video and PDF

After they are bound together then you need to connect the receiver to the flight controller....... then the FC to the computer to calibrate it and set it up.

Good luck!!
Thank you my friend!
Yes, I figured that module is the RX..
But I dont have that cable thing they show in the video..
What is it?
Looks like its connected to a motor?
Where do I get that thing so I can start with the "binding" as you call it..
Also, that module they have there is not the same as the one I have..

The next part, connecting to the controller..?
That was my question.. how/where?

LoL! Fortunately Im in a very good mood and for some reason full of patience today.. at least for now..
Old Dec 08, 2012, 02:47 PM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,915 Posts
Quote:
Thank you my friend!
Yes, I figured that module is the RX..
But I dont have that cable thing they show in the video..
What is it?
Looks like its connected to a motor?
Where do I get that thing so I can start with the "binding" as you call it..
Also, that module they have there is not the same as the one I have..

The next part, connecting to the controller..?
That was my question.. how/where?

LoL! Fortunately Im in a very good mood and for some reason full of patience today.. at least for now..
You need to bind the receiver to the transmitter wirelessly. You also need a power sounce for the receiver, usually in the form of 4.8 - 6 volts into a receiver port. A servo will be a good thing, but seeing as you are new to the biz it's unlikely you'll have one. If you had a servo, you can plug it in to any rx port, and if the binding is a success, then by moving a stick on your transmitter you'll hear/see the servo output arm moving.

The only way you are going to know if this is a success on your quad will be by binding it to the quad itself, but for that you'll need a speed controller lead plugged in to your receiver, but the ESC's (speed controllers) are not easily accessed on these. My advice is to go and buy a cheap servo from your local R/C hobby store and do it that way, or just see if the guy at the store is friendly enough to bind it for you. Once bound, you won't need to do it again, it's a one off process for each new receiver you buy.

So, to summarise, I'd leave it alone until Monday, go to a store and ask for help, or buy a cheap servo to try yourself at home, plus a 4 cell NiMH receiver battery pack, unless one came with your radio set?

I hope that helps!

Matt

If you do manage to access an ESC plug for your receiver, then please remove all of the propellors-just for safety.(Although I DON'T reccomend you try this at all)
Matt Halton is offline Find More Posts by Matt Halton
Old Dec 08, 2012, 03:27 PM
Pilot in Training
Joined May 2012
231 Posts
3, Manuals

So here’s what I’ve determined on my own..
After reading BOTH manuals and comparing the pix and text to what I actually have..
That little RX module has to connect to the FC somehow..
I noticed all those wires hanging out one end of the ifly, with connectors at the ends..
The RX module has that pin base with numbers and little symbols..

I discovered that those connectors at the end of the wires plug into that pin set on the RX, so I think Im headed in the right direction..
Not sure which way they plug in, I looked at the symbols on the side of the RX.. and they were: -NEG +POS and something else.. which would be the white wire on the connector so that must be it.. BLACK being NEG, RED being POS and then white.
Ok, made sense so far.. even though I’ll have to see how to attach the RX because I don’t think it was meant to be left hanging there like I have it..

Here’s where it got confusing..
In the 2 manuals are these descriptions..

In the WFT_07_Eng manual is a pic of the module with ID’s for the connections..
(they should have named it the WT F_AlmostEng manual.. LOL!!)

The other (Ifly 4s Manual) has a descrip for the connections – with a pic above it for a Futaba radio…
Ummm, this isn’t a Futaba radio..

The first 4 descriptions seem to match the first 4 of the module connection pic..

A – E - T – R with
A – E – T – R of the text

But # 5 (GRY), 6 (PIT) and 7 (AUX) in the pic DON’T match the F – S1 – S2 – P1 and P2 in the text description

ALSO – look at the pic of my FC..
After the R is an “M” – not an “F” ..?

So Im guessing that the “F” of the text goes with the #5 GRY on the RX – which is actually the “M” on the FC.. ?

Im starting to get a headache already.. who’s hiring in the QC dept?

And there is an extra wire at the top of the FC marked with - + S
Im thinking this is power, right?
But where does it go on the RX?

I had plugged it into the last pin set, or #7 because in that manual it also says..
“.. ANY channel can be used as power input..”

See how this can get royally confusing ?

> Binding ?
Ok, so if Im supposed to “bind” this thing to the TX first.. how?
I don’t have a connector for power from the lipo to this RX module (like in the video) to turn it on and try to do the bonding thing..

How about if I just plug that power wire #1 coming off the FC into #7 pin set on the RX, crank it up and hope it doesn’t blow up..?

Somebody had better pay me when I get through this for all the time & effort in putting together a NooB manual and video, LoL!!

Old Dec 08, 2012, 03:30 PM
United Kingdom, England, Southampton
Joined Nov 2012
60 Posts
Is USB 2.0 going to be enough power to bind the Tx & Rx if not that might be my problem, I may have to try it with the ifly battery connected, but that goes against what both manuals say.

My Rx lights up ok via usb it bleeps and I get the flashing orange light just no indication that your binded and you can't move on to stage 2 in ifly tools to calibrate your controller.
I'll try again tomorrow I think when I've had a good sleep and i'm a bit more with it.

MJS88 here is what I've done so far.

Get your receiver and have a close look at it, next to the pins at the end are the + - & a symbol that looks like a top hat, now have a look on top of the FC of the quad you'll see the same symbols on there all you have to do is match the wires so they correspond with the markings on both for example the white wire on mine is - so I make sure the plug is around the right way & plug it in to the receiver.
If you get the manual up for the Tx & Rx on your computer and follow the guide that will get you plugged in, then you need one of the USB cables shown in that picture (most digital cameras come with this type of cable) & plug the small end into the FC and the other into a USB 2.0 you'll hear it bleep and a red light will appear on the receiver.
Next go back to the manual and follow the coding process that's as far as I've got.

Hope that helps you out mate.

Ahhh see you've already done that.
pigdogstix is offline Find More Posts by pigdogstix
Old Dec 08, 2012, 03:37 PM
Pilot in Training
Joined May 2012
231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Halton View Post
You need to bind the receiver to the transmitter wirelessly. You also need a power sounce for the receiver, usually in the form of 4.8 - 6 volts into a receiver port. A servo will be a good thing, but seeing as you are new to the biz it's unlikely you'll have one. If you had a servo, you can plug it in to any rx port, and if the binding is a success...
God Bless You Matt - Amen!

Even though to be honest, I have no idea about most of what you said.. ~LoL~

Ok.. under the circumstances, here's what Im going to do..
Fortunately, it's only 3:30pm here where I am and my store, HobbyTown USA, is open on Sat until 10pm.. my friends at that store are simply AWESOME and will probably be able to help with this.. God Bless Them TOO!!
Plus, they've been hearing me talk about this thing for weeks now and they're excited to actually be the first to see one!

I'll be back later to post an update of how it went..
Old Dec 08, 2012, 03:41 PM
Pilot in Training
Joined May 2012
231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigdogstix View Post
Is USB 2.0 going to be enough power to bind the Tx & Rx if not that might be my problem, I may have to try it with the ifly battery connected, but that goes against what both manuals say.

Hope that helps you out mate.
Ahhh see you've already done that.
Thanks Dog!
Yup, Im going with Matt's suggestion and heading out right now to the store for help in the binding thingy..
Then, I'll be right behind you in the following steps.. cool !

PS. You know, maybe its just me.. I can be kinda dumb sometimes.. but I could swear that RTF meant something like "Ready To Fly"..
Ummm... well almost
Old Dec 08, 2012, 03:46 PM
Joined Nov 2012
60 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Dog!
Yup, Im going with Matt's suggestion and heading out right now to the store for help in the binding thingy..
Then, I'll be right behind you in the following steps.. cool !

PS. You know, maybe its just me.. I can be kinda dumb sometimes.. but I could swear that RTF meant something like "Ready To Fly"..
Ummm... well almost
Lol Only after you have deciphered the manual that is. If your local store has any ideas on the binding process that will be cool, it does seem there are bits of info missing out of the manual.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 05:21 PM
Joined Nov 2012
60 Posts
Right the manual is wrong when it comes to binding with the receiver, you need to press the set button on the receiver before turning your Tx on and going in to the settings menu, not the other way round as per the manual, so I've wasted most of today following a manual that is wrong.

Got into ifly tools and started messing about with calibrating the Tx but cannot get everything centered following the manuals instructions so will try tomorrow and find out how to do it on YouTube.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 11:08 PM
Pilot in Training
Joined May 2012
231 Posts
4. Setup ?

Yea Dog, you’re not kidding, the manuals are so off it makes you want to cry..
Are you having binding problems too?

Here’s only a quickie update – because it’s already 10:30 pm and I’ve been at it all day just like you..
But.. I think I’ve made some progress..?
You might want to check out my video on Utube tomorrow then, I hope it helps..
Im going with the raw video though, for time reasons, I’ll do a polished edit later containing the complete “NooB How-To” guide for the 4-S..

1. The binding issue.
Thank God for my friends at HobbyTown USA!! I swear, without them I’d (still) be lost!
I put everything in a box and took it down there. My friend Nick the RC “Guru” looked at the TX radio and the RX receiver. I told him I had no idea how to get the two components to talk to each other.. he just laughed!

He got out this little battery pack/case consisting of 4 AA batteries. It has the right type of connector at the end that fits onto one of the pin sets on the RX.
He reaches in the counter and pulls out this cute little servo thing and plugs that into another of the pin sets, I think it was #4..
He presses on the RX set button until it starts blinking, then he turns the radio TX on..
After a few seconds the RX stops blinking.
He says.. ok, lets see what happens now.. and starts moving the handles on the TX.. well, sure as Im tired, the servo thingy starts humming and moving..
He says.. ok man, your binded.

Aha, just like that..
We turn the TX off, wait, then back on to see if it really worked..
Sure did.. servo started humming again when he moved the joystick handle..
Guess that’s all it takes huh? Wow.

I bought the servo he had, one of those battery packs and 4 AA batteries.. just in case I have to do all this again at some point later on.. and I threw in a few $$ extra for his time and effort.
I almost cant believe it really was that quick and easy.

When I got home I addressed the issue of that USB cable.
Really.. I would have expected one to be included because no, those cables are not all the same – only the end that plugs into the PC, not necessarily the one that plugs into the FC.
Fortunately, the USB cable that was INCLUDED with my GoPro fit that port..

I started to assemble everything.. not even really knowing what I was doing..
I ran into one major scary issue along the way.. somehow I got the motors to start working.. and then couldn’t turn them OFFOMG!
- Had to unplug the battery!
Fortunately I have NOT installed the props – and most likely wont until I feel completely confident with this thing..

I guess the best way to describe the process is to watch the video..

www.youtube.com/RickDaMann

Look for videos marked “IFly Setup, part 1”.. 2.. 3.. etc
I’ll be uploading them still tonite.. nothing fancy mind you, just the raw process.

That’s it for now, until soon my friends!
Old Dec 09, 2012, 05:00 AM
Aerial videographer
Croatia, City of Zagreb, Zagreb
Joined Nov 2012
41 Posts
MJS88 i watched your video_1

Sticks:
Left: Throttle up , Throttle Down,
Yaw Left , Yaw Right,

Right: Forward. Back
Bank Left
Bank Right

When you use the sticks it tells the FC what motors need to speed up and slow down to get it to go were you want. So you want to bank right, push the right stick to the right and the motors on the left will Speed up and the motors on the right will slow down slightly pushing the quad over to the right. and so on for all the other actions
Hope this helps

In the setup it is showing you that the Gyro is working on the quadcopter so when you move it it shows it moving on the screen and the direction it is moving, This has nothing to do with the transmitter that's why the quad on your screen doesn't move when you us the transmitter because the quad is not physically moving. When you press calibrate you need to do full circul movements on each stick to the FC knows your transmitters begining and end points. If a box is not moving in the direction you moved your stick it is probably reversed and you need to go into the transmitter and reverse it or normalize it so it moves the right direction.
The second tap on the tools should be calibration this is were you calibrate the transmitter, once this is done when you go to the transmitter feed back screen, All the boxes should move the right way to correspond with you sticks position
Aerial Filming is offline Find More Posts by Aerial Filming
Last edited by Aerial Filming; Dec 09, 2012 at 05:16 AM.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 08:43 AM
Joined Nov 2012
60 Posts
Right I'm struggling here and it's getting me pretty wound up.
If anyone has any suggestions apart from send the Tx and Rx back and go and buy one with a manual that makes sense I'd love to hear it.

I've set a couple of these up in the past and have never had this much trouble (I'm no expert believe me nor am I stupid) but this manual has got me beat.
I've tried numerous ways of trying to set the parameters for the Tx but to no avail if you follow the manual you get nowhere if you go on gut instinct you get a little further but then press the only button to save settings and your back to square one.

Progress so far is as follows,
I'm binded have set level in Ifly tools now ive moved on to the remote control screen and I need to calibrate the sticks on my Tx to centre everything as when I move the throttle the ailerons and elevators move as well and they are both showing permanently at 50% to the right so I need to adjust these in the Tx's menu this is where the manual doesn't tell you how to adjust them it just tells you where they are in the menu (I can see where they are I just need to be told how to adjust them & save them)
Old Dec 09, 2012, 09:38 AM
Pilot in Training
Joined May 2012
231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerial Filming View Post
MJS88 i watched your video_1

This has nothing to do with the transmitter that's why the quad on your screen doesn't move when you us the transmitter because the quad is not physically moving. When you press calibrate you need to do full circul movements on each stick to the FC knows your transmitters begining and end points. If a box is not moving in the direction you moved your stick it is probably reversed and you need to go into the transmitter and reverse it or normalize it so it moves the right direction.
Thank You Jonathan/AF!

Yes of course, every little bit helps as I am becoming more familiar with this thing and how to make it work..
- and I am very determined..

Please stay with us here and jump in whenever you can or have some important details & information to add.. we need it!

To be honest, what happened to me yesterday was really scary.. after getting the USB connected and checking out the tools module. somehow I was able to get the motors turned on.. I had no idea how I did it, just happened.
Of course I was surprised at first, and excited to see it fire up for the first time.. until I realized that I coudlnt turn it off.. If I had installed the props, that could have ended in a mishap.
So for now, I just dont feel comfortable putting the props on yet until I get more familiar with the radio, how things work, on and off, etc..
I'll post on my progress..
Old Dec 09, 2012, 09:42 AM
Aerial videographer
Croatia, City of Zagreb, Zagreb
Joined Nov 2012
41 Posts
the props are definitely the last thing to do, just make sure everything is working and the sticks are calibrated. I sliced my finger with a spinning prop when i was starting out so your doing better than i did. Hahaha, just be careful these are not toys i know you know that but needs to be said.
Aerial Filming is offline Find More Posts by Aerial Filming