HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:15 PM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumRunner_1492 View Post
That is actually retention pay to keep the key execs around while liquidating the company. It's a common and smart thing to do.
I say promise them the bonuses at the end of the bankruptcy, and then cheat them out of the bonuses just like they did the worker's pension's.
thunder1 is online now Find More Posts by thunder1
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:17 PM
It's 5 O'clock Somewhere
Dayton, OH
Joined Feb 2006
417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder1 View Post
I say promise them the bonuses at the end of the bankruptcy, and then cheat them out of the bonuses just like they did the worker's pension's.
Then there would be no execs there. Hence the retention pay. How about the union members who went on strike pay for the christmas gifts for all of the other employees families that they destroyed Christmas and their careers for?
RumRunner_1492 is online now Find More Posts by RumRunner_1492
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:27 PM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
Quote:
Then there would be no execs there. Hence the retention pay. How about the union members who went on strike pay for the christmas gifts for all of the other employees families that they destroyed Christmas and their careers for?
No execs might be better than the execs leading their company into bankruptcy.

I'd bet they'd go for the Christmans presents thing if those getting the Christmas presents contribute their pay for the promised pensions.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:33 PM
It's 5 O'clock Somewhere
Dayton, OH
Joined Feb 2006
417 Posts
Quote:
No execs might be better than the execs leading their company into bankruptcy.

I'd bet they'd go for the Christmans presents thing if those getting the Christmas presents contribute their pay for the promised pensions.
Why would the other 10,000 union members out of a job contribute to their pensions? The smaller group of union members stabbed their brothers in the back and sent them packing over the holidays without a job.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:41 PM
In Development Now
Joined May 2005
445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyzwell View Post
Here's one theory. "If American companies were willing to trade off some of their current earnings growth to make investments in wage increases and hiring, American workers would have more money to spend. And as American workers spent more money, the economy would begin to grow more quickly again. And the growing economy would help the companies begin to grow more quickly again. And so on."

Higher taxes could mean higher prices too, but then there's that whole bureaucracy thing.
That theory is crap.
Indiana_Geoff is online now Find More Posts by Indiana_Geoff
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:49 PM
So Cal
Joined May 2008
2,633 Posts
Well, I am asking for opinions. Thanks for the insight.
flyzwell is offline Find More Posts by flyzwell
Old Dec 04, 2012, 10:27 PM
Who, ME?
Euclid Ohio
Joined May 2005
290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana_Geoff View Post
That theory is crap.
I'm not so sure. To me, sacrificing a little profit to ensure success down the road makes sense-it did to Henry Ford when he decided to pay his employees more so they could buy his cars. Also, how much profit is ENOUGH?
dll932 is online now Find More Posts by dll932
Old Dec 04, 2012, 10:45 PM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
Quote:
Why would the other 10,000 union members out of a job contribute to their pensions? The smaller group of union members stabbed their brothers in the back and sent them packing over the holidays without a job.
And a smaller group of execs stabbed that group in the back, first. See how that works?
Old Dec 04, 2012, 11:37 PM
So Cal
Joined May 2008
2,633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dll932 View Post
I'm not so sure. To me, sacrificing a little profit to ensure success down the road makes sense-it did to Henry Ford when he decided to pay his employees more so they could buy his cars. Also, how much profit is ENOUGH?
That makes sense. Higher wages means more disposable income to buy more products which then returns to the companies bottom line.
It would also generate more money for taxes that the middle class wouldn't be able to hide over seas or deduct using loopholes.

How much profit is ENOUGH? Good question. We as a country were a lot better off when the divergence between profits and wages were closer.
flyzwell is offline Find More Posts by flyzwell
Old Dec 05, 2012, 07:58 AM
Libertas in Infinitum
Houston Ellington, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2001
312 Posts
Some people would say "Both" ... but you can't have both and have a healthy company that grows and expands.
logan5 is offline Find More Posts by logan5
Old Dec 05, 2012, 08:02 AM
It's 5 O'clock Somewhere
Dayton, OH
Joined Feb 2006
417 Posts
Quote:
And a smaller group of execs stabbed that group in the back, first. See how that works?
The execs didn't shut down the place. That is squarely on the bakers union. If not for them everyone would be at work today and buying presents this weekend for under the christmas tree. Those 5k people took that away from the other 13k. Not to mention the BK court supported the pension move so it's really thier blame and not the execs at this point.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 08:05 AM
It's 5 O'clock Somewhere
Dayton, OH
Joined Feb 2006
417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyzwell View Post
That makes sense. Higher wages means more disposable income to buy more products which then returns to the companies bottom line.
It would also generate more money for taxes that the middle class wouldn't be able to hide over seas or deduct using loopholes.

How much profit is ENOUGH? Good question. We as a country were a lot better off when the divergence between profits and wages were closer.
What makes you think increased wages will magically appear back on the companies bottom line? That will not happen. For some companies it will and for many it will not.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 08:10 AM
Figure Nine Champ
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dll932 View Post
Also, how much profit is ENOUGH?
Over five times your initial investment in five years. Venture capitalists won't invest in your company, unless they can get that much because, of their risk.
madsci_guy is offline Find More Posts by madsci_guy
Old Dec 05, 2012, 08:46 AM
Who, ME?
Euclid Ohio
Joined May 2005
290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Some people would say "Both" ... but you can't have both and have a healthy company that grows and expands.
Leads to another question-how much GROWTH is enough, and how much is PRACTICAL?
Old Dec 05, 2012, 08:47 AM
Who, ME?
Euclid Ohio
Joined May 2005
290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsci_guy View Post
Over five times your initial investment in five years. Venture capitalists won't invest in your company, unless they can get that much because, of their risk.
That sounds too limited to me and not considering enough factors.