SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 04, 2012, 04:14 PM
So Cal
Joined May 2008
2,633 Posts
Discussion
Would It Be Better for America if Corporations Paid Higher Taxes or Higher Wages?

http://www.businessinsider.com/profits-versus-wages

"Public policy experts sometimes glorify complexity, proposing intricate, interlocking systems aimed at a desired result. But such structures are only as strong as their weakest link, and a proposal too complex to fully understand is also too complex to fix. Our government has sought to ensure a decent living for American workers through an enormous array of income subsidies, public benefits, training programs, and educational loans; at this point, many of these components have accumulated powerful and parasitic side-beneficiaries while leaving the working class behind.

Since this vast and leaky conglomeration has failed at its intended goal, perhaps we should just try raising wages instead."

http://newamerica.net/publications/p...american_wages
flyzwell is offline Find More Posts by flyzwell
Last edited by flyzwell; Dec 04, 2012 at 04:21 PM.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 04:23 PM
Figure Nine Champ
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,280 Posts
Higher wages according to the workers worth, that way, the hard worker is compensated.
madsci_guy is offline Find More Posts by madsci_guy
Old Dec 04, 2012, 04:33 PM
Made in the USA
Joined May 2010
417 Posts
Who are the experts that have engineered the failing government we have now? Sure don't want them involved in any of our businesses. We need less government, not more government but no one seem to understand that.
BE77 Pilot is offline Find More Posts by BE77 Pilot
Old Dec 04, 2012, 05:00 PM
So Cal
Joined May 2008
2,633 Posts
So I assume you think there should be no minimum wage? Maybe you're right I don't think China has, and their doing ok.

As wages go lower, profits go higher. Wealth over the years has been transferring to the top, which is good for them, but maybe not so good for America as a whole.

Higher wages put more money directly in pockets of more people than government programs do from higher taxes, and may be better for our country.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 05:05 PM
Akron/Canton, Ohio, United States
Joined Apr 2004
80 Posts
I will gladly let my employees keep every penny of the reduction in taxes paid to the government. That would effectively be a pay raise and would stimulate the economy just fine.
Jon Shaw is offline Find More Posts by Jon Shaw
Old Dec 04, 2012, 05:07 PM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
If companies would actually pay their employees more money, that would be better. I just read where the Hostess execs are getting bonuses... for leading their company into bankruptcy.
thunder1 is offline Find More Posts by thunder1
Old Dec 04, 2012, 05:07 PM
It's 5 O'clock Somewhere
Dayton, OH
Joined Feb 2006
417 Posts
It's an easy fix. Get rid of all income and payroll taxes on individuals and businesses. Have only a consumption tax.
RumRunner_1492 is offline Find More Posts by RumRunner_1492
Old Dec 04, 2012, 05:35 PM
Low, slow and dirty
maine
Joined Jan 2008
427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BE77 Pilot View Post
Who are the experts that have engineered the failing government we have now? Sure don't want them involved in any of our businesses. We need less government, not more government but no one seem to understand that.

I hear you on that one...
jumpinjo is offline Find More Posts by jumpinjo
Old Dec 04, 2012, 07:12 PM
So Cal
Joined May 2008
2,633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder1 View Post
If companies would actually pay their employees more money, that would be better. I just read where the Hostess execs are getting bonuses... for leading their company into bankruptcy.
Of course those Hostess guys must like pie, so naturally they're going to take a bigger piece of it.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 07:17 PM
In Development Now
Joined May 2005
445 Posts
Higher wages mean higher prices. So what is the point?
Indiana_Geoff is offline Find More Posts by Indiana_Geoff
Old Dec 04, 2012, 07:19 PM
Unrepentant Paragon addict
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,589 Posts
Quote:
While I don't necessarily agree that large bonuses are the right thing to do, before you go about berating execs for "leading their company into bankruptcy", perhaps you should also post the part the union played. There is blame all around.
LVsoaring is offline Find More Posts by LVsoaring
Old Dec 04, 2012, 07:50 PM
So Cal
Joined May 2008
2,633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana_Geoff View Post
Higher wages mean higher prices. So what is the point?
Here's one theory. "If American companies were willing to trade off some of their current earnings growth to make investments in wage increases and hiring, American workers would have more money to spend. And as American workers spent more money, the economy would begin to grow more quickly again. And the growing economy would help the companies begin to grow more quickly again. And so on."

Higher taxes could mean higher prices too, but then there's that whole bureaucracy thing.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:07 PM
It's 5 O'clock Somewhere
Dayton, OH
Joined Feb 2006
417 Posts
Quote:
That is actually retention pay to keep the key execs around while liquidating the company. It's a common and smart thing to do.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:10 PM
It's 5 O'clock Somewhere
Dayton, OH
Joined Feb 2006
417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyzwell View Post
Here's one theory. "If American companies were willing to trade off some of their current earnings growth to make investments in wage increases and hiring, American workers would have more money to spend. And as American workers spent more money, the economy would begin to grow more quickly again. And the growing economy would help the companies begin to grow more quickly again. And so on."

Higher taxes could mean higher prices too, but then there's that whole bureaucracy thing.
So eliminate corporate taxes so the companies can hire and invest more and capture more of the global market creating even more jobs. Not to mention all of the companies that would come here because we had no federal taxes. Our economy would be on fire and workers wages would increase.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:12 PM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVsoaring View Post
While I don't necessarily agree that large bonuses are the right thing to do, before you go about berating execs for "leading their company into bankruptcy", perhaps you should also post the part the union played. There is blame all around.
You mean the part where they were being stiffed out of their agreed to benefits? Maybe they should promise the execs bonuses at the completion of the bankruptcy, and then stiff them, too? After all, that's what seems to pass for good business practice now.
thunder1 is offline Find More Posts by thunder1