I want a warp....... will you hand that off for $169???? lol
gs550t1981 is offline Find More Posts by gs550t1981
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2012, 08:48 AM
Beginner Pilot
United States, NY, Coram
Joined Jul 2012
374 Posts
You didn't by chance power up the terminal that says "do not power up", did you???
Old Dec 07, 2012, 11:40 AM
Beginner Pilot
United States, NY, Coram
Joined Jul 2012
374 Posts
I am using the dx6i...... if I assigned the aux to ch 5, being I never fly in rate mode, could I use the self leveling function? Also, what would I need to set the gains at if that were possible?
Old Dec 07, 2012, 12:48 PM
Kauai
Joined Jan 2011
4,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gs550t1981 View Post
You didn't by chance power up the terminal that says "do not power up", did you???
Didn't apply power there, everything works on right stick,left stick rudder controls throttle and nothing works rudder.
Steve
Kauaiguy is offline Find More Posts by Kauaiguy
Old Dec 07, 2012, 01:02 PM
United States, WA, Issaquah
Joined May 2011
1,523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gs550t1981 View Post
I am using the dx6i...... if I assigned the aux to ch 5, being I never fly in rate mode, could I use the self leveling function? Also, what would I need to set the gains at if that were possible?
No, that is not possible. The Tail gain will reset to some default value when you power the gyro. You will be unable to fly unless the gyro sees the proper tail gain coming from an input signal from the Rx.

In response to my pestering, Corrado and Thomas will attempt to include in the next firmware update a way to set and lock tail gain in the software, such that you free up the "gear" channel and have it available to switch flight modes on a 6-channel radio. Here's the post: http://www.helifreak.com/showpost.ph...4&postcount=95

Read here too: http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=468950
Dr.M is offline Find More Posts by Dr.M
Old Dec 07, 2012, 02:19 PM
Beginner Pilot
United States, NY, Coram
Joined Jul 2012
374 Posts
It would be nice to use the self level better than switching flight modes.... that would be sweet.... but flight modes is cool as well.... It amazes me how you guys do this stuff and it comes so easy, lol.... thanks alot guys... I have more questions but gotta go right now... thanks again.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 02:20 PM
Beginner Pilot
United States, NY, Coram
Joined Jul 2012
374 Posts
Anyone know where I can purchase a complete flybarless head for the trex 550???
Old Dec 07, 2012, 02:24 PM
Crash Expert
United States, OK, Yukon
Joined Jan 2011
433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.M View Post
AFAIK you cannot fly the helicopter with Self Level on. It is solely a rescue mode in which stick inputs have extremely limited effect.
And why can't you fly with it on. There is an option on all 3 flight styles in the software to turn on Auto leveling. In that case it sounds like it would be a good tool to be used as a trainer. Turn it on from the ground, lift off, and toot around the field.
Swat342 is offline Find More Posts by Swat342
Old Dec 07, 2012, 02:41 PM
Joined May 2011
1,523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swat342 View Post
And why can't you fly with it on. There is an option on all 3 flight styles in the software to turn on Auto leveling. In that case it sounds like it would be a good tool to be used as a trainer. Turn it on from the ground, lift off, and toot around the field.
Yeah you can probably do that, but I'd hardly call it flying. It's more along the lines of hovering around... So, if you just want to put about the field, by all means, turn on SL and go for it. Don't expect to be doing any flying though.

Therefore, I think this is a very poor training tool, in terms of teaching you anything about controlling the helicopter. If you're a total noob and just want to see the thing fly, it might be an option, But given the complexities of setting up SL and the potential unexpected outcomes, I'd be very weary of suggesting something like this to a noobie who does not have an experienced pilot helping them out to make sure SL actually works as intended.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 02:58 PM
Crash Expert
United States, OK, Yukon
Joined Jan 2011
433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.M View Post
Yeah you can probably do that, but I'd hardly call it flying. It's more along the lines of hovering around... So, if you just want to put about the field, by all means, turn on SL and go for it. Don't expect to be doing any flying though.

Therefore, I think this is a very poor training tool, in terms of teaching you anything about controlling the helicopter. If you're a total noob and just want to see the thing fly, it might be an option, But given the complexities of setting up SL and the potential unexpected outcomes, I'd be very weary of suggesting something like this to a noobie who does not have an experienced pilot helping them out to make sure SL actually works as intended.
I agree. I just thought it would be cool to be able to flip a switch and use it like a fly-mentor to train hovering to my child. Let her putt putt around the field for awhile. I think you can set it up this way to respond kinda like a co-axle when you try to control it in Self-Level Mode. From what I read I think the default is 45 Degrees but can be set to be able to control it more. I am looking for internet information on how to set it up this way. I found that people are able to fly in SL mode.
Swat342 is offline Find More Posts by Swat342
Old Dec 07, 2012, 04:47 PM
Beginner Pilot
United States, NY, Coram
Joined Jul 2012
374 Posts
What do you mean when you say "the default is 45 Degrees"
Old Dec 07, 2012, 05:18 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,916 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kauaiguy View Post
Ive set up cx3x1000 x4 and 3 robirds g31 and a bunch of micro heli's.Problem is I can't plug it in any differently than the diagrams and I know I 'm doing it correctly.Took ikon off and Installed another Robird and good to go.I got this gyro for $169 , pm me if interested , other wise I'll try and send it back.FYI the Robird works great on the Warp.
Steve
Hi Steve. I talked nicely to my wife and she let me have my iKon before Xmas, so I could hopefully help you out.

I've just finished connecting it all up on the bench and it's working fine. The only thing I had to do was to assign the AUX channel to channel 6 (in the Advanced/Receiver setup), to get the 3 setups working. I also had to select the servo types for cyclic and tail, before the servos would operate. This is a nice safety feature.

The connections are a little different to the ZYX and robird.

CH1 = Aileron
CH2 = Elevator
CH3 = Rudder
CH4 White = Collective pitch
CH4 Red = Tail gain
CH4 Black = Aux channel for setup selection

All plugs into the gyro must have the white at the top (black to the bottom). This includes the lead with the 3 plugs on it.

I had to reverse aileron and elevator in the Tx to make things work in the correct direction, in the monitor screen.

I really hope yours doesn't have a fault. Please give it another try.
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Old Dec 07, 2012, 07:17 PM
Kauai
Joined Jan 2011
4,118 Posts
Thanks for the info Beenflying!I will give it another try on the bench this time,i was very frustrated because the cx and Robird went together in 20 mintues but I just couldn't get the Ikon to work!
Steve
Old Dec 07, 2012, 08:07 PM
Kauai
Joined Jan 2011
4,118 Posts
This post is in the wrong place

I have a question that has nothing to do with my Brain!I was getting alot of flack from the Compass camp because I questioned that so many defects/design issues where coming with the warp intro.Is this common, I've never heard of this,we are the beta testers( they can't aford to assemble a few to see if they work before hand?Any way if some one would like to pm me and share there thoughts.
Steve
Old Dec 07, 2012, 09:02 PM
Joined May 2011
1,523 Posts
Steve,
We are beta testers for a lot of things. From phones, to operating systems, to helicopter airframes and fbl controllers. Manufacturers can only test so much, and they know what they're doing. However, when a product is released to thousands of people, many of which are but dilettantes, interesting problems begin to surface. I read it somewhere and thought it was both funny and true: whoever thinks their product is foolproof gravely underestimates the ingenuity of fools.