HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 03, 2013, 11:48 AM
New York Highlander
United States, NY, Vermontville
Joined Apr 2012
1,761 Posts
I would simply use a pan and tilt camera platform for fpv. That gives you a very large fov, relatively speaking, and would be ideal for aerial combat, as you could look for and visually follow other aircraft.
GFergy is offline Find More Posts by GFergy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2013, 07:33 PM
Waiting for the paint to dry.
Pasadena Maryland
Joined Oct 2009
1,233 Posts
Its helpfull with a servo on the tilt view but its the Radio that still needs work if we are going to see. I hope someone builds a radio with the tilt/pan on top of the right flight stick like we see on flight sim's joysticks.
I'm giving it a try now but its very hard to make it work without the right tools.
ctrout is offline Find More Posts by ctrout
Old Jan 03, 2013, 09:13 PM
New York Highlander
Joined Apr 2012
1,761 Posts
The Flitetest guys just did a nice video of a pan/tilt GoPro platform with head-tracker goggles. This setup would be perfect for combat!
Flite Test - GoPro Head Tracker FPV - PROJECT (7 min 25 sec)

Also, here's the build video:
Flite Test - DIY Simple FPV Pan/Tilt Setup - BUILD (24 min 23 sec)
Old Jan 03, 2013, 10:31 PM
Pasadena Maryland
Joined Oct 2009
1,233 Posts
Thanks for posting that!
I’m realizing now, I worked the wrong end of the problem. ”for a year!”
I owe you a video .
Old Jan 04, 2013, 07:57 AM
New York Highlander
Joined Apr 2012
1,761 Posts
Yeah, I think this pan and tilt system would add that "head on a swivel" realism of actual aerial combat to rc fpv combat.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 08:05 PM
United States, MO, Washington
Joined Oct 2012
78 Posts
this is great research on the desired topic.
the pan tilt is fantastic and will add the "in cockpit" feel to the videos from the desired positions. Ctrout...could you place these systems on the AA guns as well? so their operators would have controls from the fpv equipment primarily? it'd look pretty kool looking up the barrel at on comming planes with the WW2 round sights on those AAs

thanks to GFergy for the vids
*highfive GFergy*
RDIII is offline Find More Posts by RDIII
Old Jan 09, 2013, 07:40 PM
Pasadena Maryland
Joined Oct 2009
1,233 Posts
Yea, I think the head tracking would make them much better but.. It looks like 5 systems / frequencies are max
With 2.4 controlling the planes for AMA rules maybe Night vision cable video maybe better for the AAs and be a little cheaper if a 500’cables will work.
We are talking about all this now before we order anything
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:37 PM
United States, MO, Washington
Joined Oct 2012
78 Posts
Night vision cameras on the AA are good. you can hard wire them that way and save the extra frequencies.

so the most 2.4gig vid systems that can operate at a time is 5? ive been wondering this for the "nascar wing races"
is there any other way to get more planes in the air?
can any of the other fpv frequencies opperate more planes?

i know this is logistically and finiancially straining...could you have multiple frequencies?

2.4 for the planes and 900mhz for the AA?
just a thought
RDIII is offline Find More Posts by RDIII
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:23 AM
Pasadena Maryland
Joined Oct 2009
1,233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDIII View Post
Night vision cameras on the AA are good. you can hard wire them that way and save the extra frequencies.

so the most 2.4gig vid systems that can operate at a time is 5? ive been wondering this for the "nascar wing races"
is there any other way to get more planes in the air?
can any of the other fpv frequencies opperate more planes?

i know this is logistically and finiancially straining...could you have multiple frequencies?

2.4 for the planes and 900mhz for the AA?
just a thought

Still looking for more info of what we can use. a lot of testing and "Luck" to get planes and 4 AA to work. It just takes time.lol
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:25 AM
United States, IA, Cedar Rapids
Joined Nov 2011
120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFergy View Post
How about that? Could lasertag technology be modded for use aboard r/c electrics for FPV combat? How cool would that be?
with obsticals and a pilot copilot both have pan n tilt one can shoot and look for his opponet the other can fly thru and around the obsticals laser dot sighting its a new world! lets play!
tommy2toes is offline Find More Posts by tommy2toes
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Arkbird OSD w/gps plug n play
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:56 AM
Pasadena Maryland
Joined Oct 2009
1,233 Posts
Just a tip.
For practicing FPV and infrared a few of us are using a smoke system from wallmart. The idea of using IR like guns on the wing is not as helpful as adding the IR bulb to the pan/tilt pod. I think its safer for the plane to have the bulb pivot with the video and fly next to the ground target"up off the ground a few feet" and hit it then aim at the target with the plane. I think it will be about the same if you’re using the sonic with a servo to release parts from a trap door for a air 2 air. Aiming the IR using the plane is a pain.
good hunting

ps.. The smoke system uses IR to turn on the pump to see the smoke after the hit. 40 bucks and you have something to shoot at lol.
Old Mar 02, 2013, 04:00 PM
Joined Oct 2009
70 Posts
DogFighter Combat Simulation System FPV (1 min 20 sec)
emrlabs is offline Find More Posts by emrlabs
Old Mar 02, 2013, 04:58 PM
Pasadena Maryland
Joined Oct 2009
1,233 Posts
You guys are doing good but remember using control surfaces to show a effects from an IR hit will likely get you banned from every insurance protected airfield in the US.
Some suggestions. Mix in a couple of 940 bulbs with the 850s for night vision, use reflection tape for the body lines on the planes.Same with the ground targets will make the event much more interesting. I realize the planes are too small to follow suit but it still interesting to see if you the pilot.
Welcome to the rat race Canada.
Last edited by ctrout; Mar 02, 2013 at 05:06 PM.
Old Mar 02, 2013, 05:57 PM
Joined Oct 2009
70 Posts
Sure, the combat effects module is just an add on and 'wiggles' the plane, control is still maintained.

The system is designed to work with the ForceFly joystick control which has a programmable dead man switch that eliminates the effects if the pilot feels it is compromising his control.

Actually the ForceFly is great for combat especially with the logitech G940 because it has built in 'afterburner' and 'air-brakes' control. Its much easier to pace bogeys because you can set the throttle and tap a button to boost or brake speed. I found that simply on a throttle it is too easy to fall behind or overshoot your target.

What kind of control input does your system require? Could the ForceFly be setup to operate it?
Old Mar 02, 2013, 06:02 PM
Joined Oct 2009
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrout View Post
Its helpfull with a servo on the tilt view but its the Radio that still needs work if we are going to see. I hope someone builds a radio with the tilt/pan on top of the right flight stick like we see on flight sim's joysticks.
I'm giving it a try now but its very hard to make it work without the right tools.
Check this video:
ForceFly force feedback FPV joystick (2 min 48 sec)

Pan and tilt on the flight stick at 0:44.