HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by MassiveOverkill, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 07:46 AM
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2011
5,436 Posts
Discussion
Making cheap prop guards for your micro quad

Beginners and daredevils, you can help save your props without buying fancy EPO guards......make them yourself:

Small zip ties:

Larger zip ties:

All four installed:

If you're wondering what that canopy is, I made it from a fruit cup container and used a hole punch for the boom mounting holes.

Fully installed, they add about 1g to the total weight of your Mini Pet and minimally impact flight performance, especially when compared to quads that come with full-perimeter plastic or EPO guards. They're cheap and replaceable. If you want more protection, at the expense of agility, make them into loops:

Use a nail clipper and make 3 cuts to round off the ends of the zip ties. Being poked with the zip tie hurts a lot less than being hit by the blade as well.
MassiveOverkill is offline Find More Posts by MassiveOverkill
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2012, 02:10 AM
If it flies, I can crash it.
Cleveland, Ohio, United States
Joined Nov 2003
1,513 Posts
Very nice and inexpensive idea!
sleb is offline Find More Posts by sleb
Old Dec 05, 2012, 03:05 AM
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2011
5,436 Posts
Thanks Sleb, Fyre invented the idea to use zip ties as landing gear on the larger mini: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=98

I just adapted the idea to micro quads.
MassiveOverkill is offline Find More Posts by MassiveOverkill
Site Sponsor