Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 04, 2012, 03:03 AM
Joined Dec 2012
13 Posts
Discussion
Help for newbie

Hi all,

I presume this has been asked many times but I have never flown an RC Helicopter before, however I would like to buy one as it seems great fun and something I could really enjoy.

I am looking at an indoor micro helicopter at the moment to start with, my friend recommended the Heliguy Atom Coax (4 channel). Is this a good helicopter to start with?

Should I start with a Coax? or go straight for an FP? I have done some research so understand the difference between them but people seem to give different thoughts on which one to start with.

Thank you for your help with this, I really appreciate it,
rich225 is offline Find More Posts by rich225
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2012, 04:04 AM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
4,120 Posts
Do you plan on eventually moving up to higher end helicopters in the long run? If yes, you really should skip the coaxials and go with either FP or Quads.
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2012, 06:46 AM
Joined Dec 2012
13 Posts
Hi Hajile,

I would like to yes but having never flown one before I don't want to get something I cant fly and that puts me off, I think if I enjoy it though I will buy a better one when im used to it.

My other option is get a Coax and then get an FP not too long after, would it be better to start with a Coax and then move on to an FP. How much more difficult will the FP be to control? As in 100% harder or is the difference not that much of a gap.

I download an RC helicopter simulator for the Mac but it is not easy as the perspective does not change so you lose track of the heli as it is just a dot on the screen so you cant tell which way it is facing.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you once again
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:12 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
6,894 Posts
If you go co ax get a 2.4 4 ch. Nothing IF or 3ch. Then move on to a V911 and then V929. There cheap but good. Enjoy your new adventure and stay away from a slick c/p heli for now.
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:19 AM
FPV Noob KD0VMK
United States, MO, Platte City
Joined Jun 2012
430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich225 View Post
Hi Hajile,

I would like to yes but having never flown one before I don't want to get something I cant fly and that puts me off, I think if I enjoy it though I will buy a better one when im used to it.

My other option is get a Coax and then get an FP not too long after, would it be better to start with a Coax and then move on to an FP. How much more difficult will the FP be to control? As in 100% harder or is the difference not that much of a gap.
In my opinion, I don't think a new flyer really gains anything from a coax helicopter. They pretty much just sit there and hover, and I don't think there is really enough of a challenge to teach you anything (besides maybe throttle management). To top it off, many of them have the controls laid out wrong, with yaw and fwd/back on the right stick. Larger heli's aren't controlled this way, so I actually think learning with a coax can hurt as much as it helps.

A beginner level FP heli is really about 10% more difficult to fly than a coaxial, and they have the correct control placement. I've had brand new pilots fly my V911, and they were flying around without much trouble within 5 minutes. If you just take your hands off the sticks, it will hover itself. I've also crashed it 100's of times (literally), and i've never broken anything. So there's my recommendation: WL V911

http://www.valuehobby.com/wl-v911-2-...ansmitter.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich225 View Post
I download an RC helicopter simulator for the Mac but it is not easy as the perspective does not change so you lose track of the heli as it is just a dot on the screen so you cant tell which way it is facing.
That's the way it works in real life too...get it too far away, and it's just dot (especially with these micro helis).
Chubbs is online now Find More Posts by Chubbs
Old Dec 04, 2012, 10:04 AM
RTF (Ready to Fragment)
United States, WI, Beloit
Joined Nov 2012
3,781 Posts
Destroyed a heli last week that way, getting it too far away, and could not get oriented.
It can happen in seconds on a day with a slight breeze with the smaller heli's.

My kids and myself were bored with coax after a few flights. Start with a FP or quad.
Once I got a cheap fixed pitch, we were all hooked. Both my boys (15 & 19) and myself picked
up flying them right away. Buy a cheap enough one so you are not afraid to fly it.
Move up as skills progress.

I have about 2 months total flight time, and when onlookers watch me fly, they ask how
many years I've been into heli's. The FP's really are that easy to fly.

This is the most satisfying hobby I have messed with to date

I don't have a V911, but from what I have read, it's a great choice.
Steve_ is online now Find More Posts by Steve_
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Steve_; Dec 04, 2012 at 10:25 AM.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 12:39 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2010
1,025 Posts
I'm not a huge fan of coaxial. I started with one and it was total waste of money - I had it mastered and stopped learning after the first week, And it did zero to prepare me for the walkera 4/falcon 40 FP that I went to next. I honestly think the only people who benifit from a coax is the store that sold it to you, knowing you'll buy something else in a few weeks.

Almost all of todays FP helis have a 45 flybar and are much more stable than the 90 flybar stuff a lot of us learned on.
karlik is offline Find More Posts by karlik
Old Dec 04, 2012, 12:59 PM
RTF (Ready to Fragment)
Joined Nov 2012
3,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlik View Post
i honestly think the only people who benifit from a coax is the store that sold it to you, knowing you'll buy something else in a few weeks.
+1
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: HK450GT Lights
Old Dec 04, 2012, 02:06 PM
Joined Dec 2012
13 Posts
Thank you all for your advice, it's really valuable. These are the two that I am looking at

http://www.heliguy.com/Electric-RC-H...guy-Atom-CoAx/

http://www.heliguy.com/Electric-RC-H...liguy-Atom-FP/

One is a Coax and one an FP. Both are 2.4 and 4 channel. Im maybe leaning towards the FP now I think if it's only about 10% harder to fly. I would imagine there will be lots of crashes
Old Dec 04, 2012, 02:30 PM
RTF (Ready to Fragment)
Joined Nov 2012
3,781 Posts
Coax heli's pretty much fly themselves. It will rise and hover in the same
spot pretty much as long as the battery will hold it up.

If you are not completely bored in under a week, I will eat my shorts.

The V911 looks like basically the same bird as the Atom FP as far as
features, but take a look at the V911 transmitter, it is about 10X cooler
because of the LCD, and costs close to the same as the one you are looking at.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-4CH-2-4G...item3f1ad956a0

And V911 parts are super cheap and easy to find.
Search eBay for V911 helicopter, with lowest price first, and you will
see what I mean about the parts.

If you are already sold on the Atom, get the FP.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Steve_; Dec 04, 2012 at 02:43 PM.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 02:53 PM
Joined Dec 2012
13 Posts
Thanks for the advice, the Atom is basically the Xieda 9958 copter just rebranded for the UK buy the company I think. The only thing about the V911 thats making me hesitate is the flight time seems less than the 9958 (Atom).

Does anyone know if there is much of a difference between the two on flight time? Heliguy states 10 mins of flight time and 10 mins of charge time from the Atom (9958).

What is the V911 like with regards to flight time and charge time?

I do like the V911 though, just had a look, it's a similar price. I agree the LCD is fairly cool on the remote, however it may eat batteries quicker
Last edited by rich225; Dec 04, 2012 at 03:05 PM.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 03:10 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2010
1,025 Posts
To be honest, the first question you should research is parts availablility. Doesn't matter what you buy, you're gonna crash and break it and if you can't get parts for it, it was a waste of money.
karlik is offline Find More Posts by karlik
Old Dec 04, 2012, 03:30 PM
Joined Dec 2012
13 Posts
Thanks Karlik, both seem to have available parts.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 04:21 PM
Joined Dec 2012
13 Posts
Thank you everyone, the V911 looks a more stable helicopter for beginners, am I correct in this assumption?
Old Dec 04, 2012, 05:41 PM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
4,120 Posts
Flight time really isn't an issue on these micros. They're designed to be as light as possible so the batteries are made smaller. They're made to be easily changeable to make up for it, so if the battery runs out, land it, swap the battery and fly again. That's why these things usually come with two batteries in the box.
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member