HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:43 PM
United States, OR
Joined Jan 2007
143 Posts
The bandit/bandit style's are nice and easy to fly too.

The F-15,16,18 are great options as well as they offer alot of lift from their fuselages, also very stable in the air. I was similar when I started into jets in that I did not look at the more scale airframes but in reality some can be a great start.

Try to define your top priorities and base your first design off of that because you have so many options once you begin looking. Ultimately it will come down to the price tag.
inpieces is online now Find More Posts by inpieces
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:50 PM
I did it...
Morganton, NC
Joined Jun 2005
756 Posts
Wow. I didn't think of a more scale aircraft maybe even flying better than some that are called trainers due to their fuse generating lift with less wing loading. An F-18 Supper Hornet would sure be nice. What out there have you flown or seen fly that slows down pretty good with flaps and doesn't have to bad a tendency to tip stall on me? Also I've seen some scale models that handle horribly on the ground due to the mains being so scale and close to each other that the aircraft wants to tip left and right due to the pilot over correcting, whats that called, oh yea, pilot induced. I want to stay away from that. Now I'm thinking in a whole different area. F-16 maybe......? Thanks, I'm really getting excited about this. I can't wait for Christmas.
av8ersteve is offline Find More Posts by av8ersteve
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:13 AM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Sverige, Kronobergs Län, Ljungby
Joined Jan 2001
4,697 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by av8ersteve View Post
I've been told, is the best way to learn these engines
Steve
Everyone has their preferences of what is right. Everyone has diffrent preconditions. I find it very convenient to fly the smaller jets as I can fly them virtually anywhere I wish! Sure, alot of $$ for a small plane, but me and my friends probably has 5times as many flights on our Kolibri powerd jets as any other jet pilot in Sweden.

Learning on an airstarted engine has no point at all if you are to fly a kerostarted engine in the future. It's like learning on a T-Ford before trying a 2012 car with electric starter. It won't do any harm, but I doubt it adds any tallents needed for the kero started engine ;-)

Reading alot wanting to learn is the key. I bet you already are understanding more about the whole package. Understanding more from the other thread that eliminating the $3000 cost of the turbine won't make much diffrence in the end. :-)
henke is offline Find More Posts by henke
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:22 AM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Joined Jan 2001
4,697 Posts
Quote:
Wow. I didn't think of a more scale aircraft maybe even flying better than some that are called trainers due to their fuse generating lift with less wing loading
Trainers are to train you to handle the whole package, not just the flying. Trainers often have the engine mounted in the rear making a hot start uneventful, while in a F18 filling it up with kero and igniting would be terribly bad.

RC jet fire (2 min 57 sec)

on a trainer like the Falcon 120 nothing would have happend
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:40 AM
Pittsburgh Allegheny, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined May 2004
1,103 Posts
One thing to remember... if you intend to use a blower to start your RAM... then you will need an open airframe. (so you can get to the engine)

Just an FYI: The V3 Tornado is $399 right now at Modellbau USA.

As far as scale warbirds being good trainers... I'd disagree. Just like their big brothers... they need some speed, and you have to fly them to the ground. I understand about the lifting boddies... but I see a lot of guys having problems on landing.

Get a jet "Trainer" and you will enjoy the hobby more.

Finally... I don't know how you are... but I personally could care less about a scale model. I just like planes that fly well.
Dr Honda is offline Find More Posts by Dr Honda
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:12 AM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Joined Jan 2001
4,697 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Honda View Post
but I see a lot of guys having problems on landing.
That is a common sight over here too. I think it has more to do with what I earlier described, that you only get to fly a fiew times per year as you need to travel to a paved runway, having perfect weather etc. I see alot of well reputable pilots over here flying left hand circles at 400ft and making bad and unsafe landings just because they are nervous as they "never" fly.

Thats why I found my niche in the smaller jets :-)

Scale models do fly well, but not if over weight and under powerd, which also often is the case when adding scale details, drop tank and a pink engine which do not put out the thrust it's said to do
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:33 AM
I did it...
Morganton, NC
Joined Jun 2005
756 Posts
I seen this video before and I wondered why no one ever grabbed the fire extinguisher that's right there under the table?
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:42 AM
United States, OR
Joined Jan 2007
143 Posts
Steve,

As you can tell we all have opinions. You have many options, set a budget and a goal and research the hell out of it before you buy. You wont go wrong, there are plenty of us willing to throw our 2 cents in.
inpieces is online now Find More Posts by inpieces
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:47 PM
I did it...
Morganton, NC
Joined Jun 2005
756 Posts
I'm starting to lean towards the Boomerang Elan. I like the Tornado better but the Boomerang has an 83" wingspan so I'm thinking it will slow more on approach. It also looks like it would be easy to get the air start running as the whole top fues comes off. I just like the looks of the Tornado better, oh well. My buddy dropped of the scuba tank I paid for yesterday so I'm getting closer.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:04 AM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Joined Jan 2001
4,697 Posts
Quote:
I'm starting to lean towards the Boomerang Elan. I like the Tornado better but the Boomerang has an 83" wingspan so I'm thinking it will slow more on approach. It also looks like it would be easy to get the air start running as the whole top fues comes off. I just like the looks of the Tornado better, oh well. My buddy dropped of the scuba tank I paid for yesterday so I'm getting closer.
The Elan is a good choice, costs more then a Tornado or Falcon but I think it's worth it. You get true jet performance in a handy package.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:15 AM
I did it...
Morganton, NC
Joined Jun 2005
756 Posts
How about a delta wing? I love my Freewing Eurofighter and I can fly the crap out of it. It is a foamy but doesn't quite handle like one. I have always been told that delta wing aircraft are more stable and easier to fly. I absolutely love the looks of the Euro with those canards up front, and my wife asked me last night, "why don't you just get what you want in the first place and be done with it?"...... Yes dear

Comments, suggestions?....
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:44 AM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Joined Jan 2001
4,697 Posts
Quote:
How about a delta wing? I love my Freewing Eurofighter and I can fly the crap out of it. It is a foamy but doesn't quite handle like one. I have always been told that delta wing aircraft are more stable and easier to fly. I absolutely love the looks of the Euro with those canards up front, and my wife asked me last night, "why don't you just get what you want in the first place and be done with it?"...... Yes dear

Comments, suggestions?....
Deltas are a great reward to fly, also foamies... yet another pro for the micro turbines I fly

Or for the larger turbines:
http://www.mickreevesmodels.co.uk/~m...per/reaper.htm
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:05 AM
Pittsburgh Allegheny, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined May 2004
1,103 Posts
Smart woman !! (lol)

The real delta's were always considered as jet trainers. I know that the Kangaroo, Hot Spot, and Rookie were thought to be good jet trainers. Generally... they fly very well, and will slow down. (but see below) With that said... they do have their own set of issues for a new comer. BUT... as long as you consider yourself an "Advanced" pilot otherwise... you should be able to handle a delta jet with a little help.

There are a couple issues with a delta.

1) The cobra: Some delta jets will do a nasty cobra maneuver if they get to slow. Basically... they will pitch up as they stall. So... if you get it to slow on landing... things can get ugly, and it can land tail first.

2) Won't slow down: Since you can't use flaps on a Delta... they can be hard to slow down. I know on the Kangaroo, and HotSpot, there is a speed brake that will help. I think you can set-up a Rookie or Euro fighter with a speed brake too. ALSO... I know the Rookie uses the canard as a speed brake. You need a fast servo, and it will "pop" to 80 degrees quick. The down side is... you can't use the canard for high alpha then.

The big thing that new turbine pilots have to get use to, is throttle management. The engines do not speed up, and slow down like an EDF or IC engine. Also... at idle... they are still making thrust. So... a more conventional model is easier to control speed since they are normally more stable at low speed, and with a conventional tail... you can use flaps to help slow you down.

As Henke said... and Elan is a great jet. I've seen guys fly the pi$$ out of them, and not hurt one. BUT... it's a $1500 model. You can crush a bunch of Falcons for that price. Also... a Rookie is about $1200. I wanted a Rookie... but they have been back-ordered forever... and the USA distributor wants payment up front. (I don't play that way)
Dr Honda is offline Find More Posts by Dr Honda
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:34 AM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Joined Jan 2001
4,697 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Honda View Post
Also... a Rookie is about $1200.

Wow, they have sold them over here for $700 for several years, they call it Graupner Harpoon or Harpoon 2.

Deltas can be flown in two ways, a newbie style like any other fixed wing plane or they can be wrang out like described above with cobras and really high alpha manovers. Any one who dare can land a rookie in walking speed more or less.

Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:42 AM
I did it...
Morganton, NC
Joined Jun 2005
756 Posts
Any good Eurofighter kits out there that would work with a RAM 750? I have been looking around and haven't found one yet.