HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:35 PM
I did it...
Morganton, NC
Joined Jun 2005
756 Posts
Discussion
Need some ideas for my first please.....

After being helped on how to finally figure out how to get into this area of rc, (thanks to all of you that took the time to educate me), I need your input on a good trainer jet. I have, in the works, acquired a very nice RAM 750 that should be here around Christmas. I'm going to be in NO hurry jumping right in and flying the thing. I need all good electo's and have a lot of learning to do just to keep the engine happy and running for years to come. I have a DX18 so my radio is fine. What I do need help with is a good trainer to put this in. I have 30 years experience in flying and have had several fast flying birds. I'm thinking something along the line of a bobcat as the engine is out in the open so I can get use to operating it before I tuck it away inside a fues. Any thoughts? Your experience is my building blocks to success here in something I've wanted to do my whole life.

Thanks
av8ersteve is offline Find More Posts by av8ersteve
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2012, 01:22 AM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Sverige, Kronobergs Län, Ljungby
Joined Jan 2001
4,826 Posts
Bomerang Elan is a great performer with features good for an entry jet such as back mounted engine.

http://www.boomerangjets.com/us/elan.htm
henke is offline Find More Posts by henke
Old Dec 04, 2012, 07:57 AM
Pittsburgh Allegheny, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined May 2004
1,190 Posts
Post up a pic of the new engine. (and ECU) Is it an auto start... or air start?

The RAM 750 is big... so... the known, cheap airframes aren't going to work. Weight wise... and thrust... it would be OK... on a a Falcon 120... but as I recall... it's over 4" around. SO... mounting it may be hard.

Since you are now on the dark path of flying turbines... you will want to look for a good price on a CO2 fire extinguisher. You can also use Halon... but they are expensive to refill. AND... DRY CHEM extinguishers are a huge NO-NO !!!!!! Dry chem melts, and crystallizes to put out the fire. If that gets inside the engine... it will cost more to clean/rebuild than it's worth. You can hit the engine with a CO2, and wont' cause any damage.

If you go to your local home improvement center... they will be $200. (crazy) If you look on ebay for a used one... you should be able to find then for $50~$60. OR... call a local fire extinguisher service company, and they will normally have used ones cheap.
Dr Honda is offline Find More Posts by Dr Honda
Last edited by Dr Honda; Dec 04, 2012 at 08:04 AM.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:10 AM
Joined May 2004
1,190 Posts
Actually... looking around... a few people have mounted a 750 to a Falcon 120. (but it's big)

You are in luck. They are in stock... and on sale at NitroPlanes right now.

Here's the gray version of mine. It's on sale for $126... and there is a 10% code active (CYBERWK10) and that will make it $114 !!!!!

http://www.nitroplanes.com/newsufa12063.html

They need a little massaging to be turbine ready... but they are EXCELLENT turbine trainers. If you decide to buy one... I'll walk you thought the build.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:53 AM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Joined Jan 2001
4,826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Honda View Post
They need a little massaging to be turbine ready... but they are EXCELLENT turbine trainers. If you decide to buy one... I'll walk you thought the build.
They are cheap but it's a shtty built airframe needing massive work if you want to fit retracts that will last for more then display. Even good pilots flying trainer like airplanes get their head full when it comes to turbines and often make bouncy landings which ofcause takes it's toll on the airframe.

...but it's cheap
Old Dec 04, 2012, 09:53 AM
I did it...
Morganton, NC
Joined Jun 2005
756 Posts
The 120 is the style of jet I was looking for. I figured it would be a good first as the engine is right out there in the open and easy to work on. I didn't know how it flew and if it would be a good trainer but it sound like it's going to fit the bill. As soon as Christmas is over, the build and adventure will begin. I will go ahead and start looking around for a good size CO2 extinguisher and any odd and ends you guys can help me think of. I have waited my whole life to be able to do this and I have a feeling it's going to be well worth it and the most fun I have had. I'm already getting that excited-sick feeling of my first maiden.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 10:59 AM
Joined May 2004
1,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by henke View Post
They are cheap but it's a shtty built airframe needing massive work if you want to fit retracts that will last for more then display. Even good pilots flying trainer like airplanes get their head full when it comes to turbines and often make bouncy landings which ofcause takes it's toll on the airframe.

...but it's cheap
Bla, Bla, Bla....

I've been beating on mine for 2 years now. They are fine, and don't take "Massive Work" to be good.

They take "Normal" work. Here's a run down of the basics.

1) Remove all the formers, and re-glue them into the fuse. (but some will just come out for the fuel tank)

2) Replace the plastic wing and boom bolts with metal. (aluminum or steel) FYI, they are 6mm.

3) Make backing plates for the boom studs so they don't crack if you over tighten them.

4) Some people crack the rear mount. There are a few ways to reinforce it.

5) If you use retracts... you should beef up the mounts with some carbon fiber, and use a good "Sprung" leg to absorb shock. The fixed gear that comes with it, is crap. I tried to use it, and it bent on the first taxi test.

Personally... I made mine fixed gear. Since it's your trainer... why worry about retracts?? The way I did mine... you can crush a landing, and not hurt anything. Besides... It keeps the price down.

As I said before... I have mine flying for under $1300. (less my Tx) Once you get it... I will give you all the info you want.

It really is a great model... unless you are a speed freak, (I keep mine under 140 mph) or can't land a larger model yet.

I can even hook you up with some cheap brakes, and engine mounts.

Last edited by Dr Honda; Dec 04, 2012 at 03:03 PM.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 11:18 AM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Joined Jan 2001
4,826 Posts
Yeah why worry about retracts, formers or tailbooms... then the build goes fast ofcause, but if you want to set it up with retracts it does take alot of work. I never thought of fixed gear as jet guys tend to want their planes to go "fast" :-) Good option to get airborde for no money at all though.

Falcon 120 Wing (3 min 35 sec)
Last edited by henke; Dec 04, 2012 at 11:23 AM.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 02:08 PM
I did it...
Morganton, NC
Joined Jun 2005
756 Posts
I have looked at several turbines, some old, and some new. I don't see any with all the fuel lines coming out the front as this one. Do I have to have run all these lines? Remember, I'm learning and going to have lots of questions. I want to learn this stuff.

Thanks
Old Dec 04, 2012, 03:32 PM
Joined May 2004
1,190 Posts
Henke: I saw your post on that, over on RCU. VERY COOL !!!!! I have a beater Falcon sitting in the garage, and I was thinking about that conversion. (using a 12# turbine)

av8er: The "T-ed" hose is the fuel. one is the main, and the other is restricted for the bearing tube. One is your air for the air-start. One is the propane. and the last one is for that early ECU. It uses manifold pressure to figure out the RPM. MAKE SURE THAT HOSE IS WIRE TIED AND WON'T COME OFF!!!!!! If you loose that hose... the engine will over rev, and Boom!!
Old Dec 04, 2012, 05:20 PM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Joined Jan 2001
4,826 Posts
Strange that modern engines doesn't monitor the case pressure, as this is the best way of monitoring whats going on. Pressure changes before anything else. I bet someone will come up with an ECU doing this soon :-)
Old Dec 04, 2012, 09:52 PM
I did it...
Morganton, NC
Joined Jun 2005
756 Posts
Whats up with this one guy's. Whats it's story?

http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items/MBATORNADO.html
Old Dec 04, 2012, 10:02 PM
Joined May 2004
1,190 Posts
The Modellbau Tornado is a Falcon 120... but over the years... they had "Fly Models" (the manufacture) do a little beef-up work on it. Right now... the V3 is a tough bird. I know a guy with a Rabbit 100 (24Lb thrust engine) on it... and it will hit the 200 MPH mark without an issue. But... you can do your own beef-up and save $300.

But... there isn't any reason to buy it from TBM. Modellbau USA is also in FL. They are known to run sales. Also... I think they had a combo with the servos, and landing gear, if you want a one stop buy.

Shoot Henry an email at Moudellbau to see if he's running any specials.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:43 PM
United States, OR
Joined Jan 2007
168 Posts
Steve,

Glad to see you are getting things squared away for the engine.

All great info so far, but I have a Falcon 120 with a Ram 500. With the added wing loading and residual thrust, the 750 will make that more than a "trainer" especially on approach. There are several with 750's on youtube and that 750 will get it moving but if your goal is "trainer" jet you may consider a larger airframe.

Dont be afraid to stray away from a boomer frame, the conventional scale airframes offer tons of lift and are very docile. You will pay a little more though.

My 2 cents.
inpieces is offline Find More Posts by inpieces
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:04 PM
I did it...
Morganton, NC
Joined Jun 2005
756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inpieces View Post
Steve,

Glad to see you are getting things squared away for the engine.

All great info so far, but I have a Falcon 120 with a Ram 500. With the added wing loading and residual thrust, the 750 will make that more than a "trainer" especially on approach. There are several with 750's on youtube and that 750 will get it moving but if your goal is "trainer" jet you may consider a larger airframe.

Dont be afraid to stray away from a boomer frame, the conventional scale airframes offer tons of lift and are very docile. You will pay a little more though.

My 2 cents.
What would you suggest? I love all breads of jets. I know the bandit styles are for the strong of heart, at least that's what i've heard. T-33 maybe? Just looking for some input. I've been bitten and I'm not going away. I've already started looking at auto and kero start engines and my budget is opening up for these. I have to start somewhere and the 750 is it for me. I have a lot to learn and starting with an air start, I've been told, is the best way to learn these engines. I want to know them inside and out. That's half the fun. Thanks man, for everything.

Steve