HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 08, 2012, 12:22 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,380 Posts
This is "Dock Talk" - where we talk about what we talk about around the pond.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2012, 08:03 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,028 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
...we talk about what we talk about around the pond.
Complain about what we think other people, who we don't know, in a city far away, may bring home in their paychecks? Especially when there is nothing that we personally can do about it?

Sounds like an uplifting way to spend a Sunday, for sure...
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Last edited by Aerominded; Dec 08, 2012 at 08:29 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Dec 08, 2012, 08:53 PM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by herrmill View Post
Man this thread is going to the dogs.
Kind'a brings the Pekes and the Pollicles to mind....

"And they
Bark bark bark bark
Bark bark BARK BARK
Until you can hear them all over the Park."
craig_c is offline Find More Posts by craig_c
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Dec 08, 2012 at 08:59 PM.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 09:45 AM
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,449 Posts
Now this thread is a little far afield, but it is about a DOCK (port) area. As for the money they make, want to make a bet that the money those people get enables them to live very far from the port of LA and in a pretty nice area? One of the reasons I live in the wilds of Idaho is that my $10 per hour paycheck (yes I am the guy who calls you about a customer service survey) goes a heck of a lot further than it does in LA, but still over 100K per year for shuffling paper?
Foo
fooman2008 is offline Find More Posts by fooman2008
Old Dec 09, 2012, 10:39 AM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,266 Posts
What anyone makes anywhere they live is no ones business. More power to the paper pushers of
Los Angeles.
gpzy is offline Find More Posts by gpzy
Old Dec 09, 2012, 02:31 PM
Its only a model.
United States, MI, Clinton Township
Joined Nov 2004
499 Posts
http://gcaptain.com/los-angeles-long...0s-technology/
Tregurtha1013 is offline Find More Posts by Tregurtha1013
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:47 AM
Stuttgart, Germany
Joined Oct 2004
944 Posts
I read this on a political post, it made me laugh, then cry.

A Teabagger, a union member, and a CEO are all sitting at a table with a dozen twinkies.

The CEO immediately takes 11 Twinkies for himself.

He then turns to the Teabagger and says, "Watch our for that union guy- he wants part of your Twinkie."

I also read that if the minumum wage had kept pace with the rise in executive salaries since 1990, America's lowest paid workers would be making more than $23 an hour.

So slam the greedy unions all you want, but don't begrudge them trying to engage in capitalism. BTW, the CEOs also have a union fighting for their interests, its called congress, and they have accepted zero compromises throughout the crises. Until now.

The fact is that unless union members are willing to work for less than $4 per hour with zero benefits, they had zero chance to prevent their manufacturing jobs being exported to China.
JayJay76 is offline Find More Posts by JayJay76
Old Dec 11, 2012, 07:07 AM
Shanghai'd Expat
Xiaoshan, China
Joined Jun 2006
4,587 Posts
Thanks for the reality check JayJay and putting it in a better perspective. Couldn't have said that any better. It truly is amazing how the American middle class has lost their roots (and soul) over the past 30 or so years.
herrmill is offline Find More Posts by herrmill
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:34 AM
Stuttgart, Germany
Joined Oct 2004
944 Posts
The middle class has certainly lost a lot of ground. if this were caused by anything other than corporate greed, executive salaries wouldn't be at an all-time high, alongside corporate profits, during a trench in economic growth. Regardless of political affiliations, anyone who doubts that this 'bleeding out' of the middle class was willful and intentional is in deep denial.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:39 PM
Joined Aug 2006
1,551 Posts
How's that bailout of Greece going?
Fokker Ace is offline Find More Posts by Fokker Ace
Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:30 PM
Shanghai'd Expat
Xiaoshan, China
Joined Jun 2006
4,587 Posts
LOL! Another confused, misinformed statement from those who have no understanding of world economics & the reasons for Greece's, as well the rest of the European PIGS,' ills. The US is not Greece & never will be.

The Greeks would be doing fine had they not joined the EU & lost control of their currency & the ability to micromanage their own economy.
herrmill is offline Find More Posts by herrmill
Old Dec 11, 2012, 04:36 PM
Stuttgart, Germany
Joined Oct 2004
944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fokker Ace View Post
How's that bailout of Greece going?
Is that a logical challenge? EU politics and the Greek bailout are of no concern to me. Germany is the economic powerhouse keeping the euro afloat. How is the stimulus package treating you? Feel free to comment when you have something to say.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:32 PM
Joined Aug 2006
1,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay76 View Post
Is that a logical challenge? EU politics and the Greek bailout are of no concern to me. Germany is the economic powerhouse keeping the euro afloat. How is the stimulus package treating you? Feel free to comment when you have something to say.
I just wanted to bring something else completely unrelated into the thread like you did. It figures EU politics would be of no concern to someone in Europe as they're all experts when it comes to the U.S. anyway. I guess that's expected, however, to have the most interest in the dominant culture in the world.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:13 AM
Stuttgart, Germany
Joined Oct 2004
944 Posts
I have an opinion because I'm an American. And you should know that the influence of the "dominant culture" doesn't extend much beyond pop music, film, and fast food. If that's not what you were referring to, then you must mean the "large and in charge" attitude most Americans carry around. Knock it off willya, its embarrassing.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:29 AM
Joined Aug 2006
1,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay76 View Post
And you should know that the influence of the "dominant culture" doesn't extend much beyond pop music, film, and fast food.
I think you said it all yourself right there.