HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 03, 2012, 05:56 PM
Minneapolis, MN and Durango, CO
Joined Apr 2002
209 Posts
Help!
Adding 2.4 to a 72 mghz TX

I plan to install a FRSky DIY internal 2.4 module to my Hitec Eclipse TX. I would like to be able to use this TX for both 72 mghz and 2.4 but do not wish to change the external module each time I want to use one or the other transmission modes.

I plan to install a DPDT toggle switch that would direct the plus side to either the internal FRSky module or the external 72 mghz spectra module.

Is this the correct way to make everything work as I want. ie in one direction the 2.4 will transmit and in the other the 72 mghz will be transmitting.

Thanks in advance for the technical assistance. I can solder but I'm not sure I thinking about this correctly.

Ed
EBerris is offline Find More Posts by EBerris
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2012, 08:09 PM
United States, NH, Exeter
Joined Oct 2010
99 Posts
I am assuming you want to leave the 72Mhz module in the radio socket? Thats going to make it a bit harder to switch the BAT+ to the 72Mhz module because your going to have to cut traces on the PCB inside the radio to control the BAT+. The correct way to do it would be to switch the PPM signal and the BAT+ between the 72Mhz and 2.4Ghz modules.
hammer22 is offline Find More Posts by hammer22
Old Dec 04, 2012, 01:45 AM
Stuart
UK, Cardiff
Joined Dec 2008
3,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer22 View Post
The correct way to do it would be to switch the PPM signal and the BAT+ between the 72Mhz and 2.4Ghz modules.
Would that disable the transmitter thats is not in use ?
srnet is online now Find More Posts by srnet
Old Dec 04, 2012, 12:40 PM
United States, NH, Exeter
Joined Oct 2010
99 Posts
Yes it would disable the unused transmitter. You need to remove the PPM signal in additional to BAT+ because there could be leakage current inside the 72Mhz module that may cause spurious RF emissions.
hammer22 is offline Find More Posts by hammer22
Old Dec 04, 2012, 01:53 PM
Minneapolis, MN and Durango, CO
Joined Apr 2002
209 Posts
Wiring Diagram

Hammer has been very helpful in explaining how to wire a DPDT switch to my Hitec Eclipse that will allow me to switch between the internal and newly added FRSky 2.4 Module and the 72MgHz Spectra module. This installation allows me to slide a switch to select transmission in 2.4 or 72 MgHz.

Some pilots have modified their module equipped transmitters to achieve the same end but must remove the 72MgHz module when in the 2.4 mode. I wanted the convenience of simply being able to flip a switch rather than removing the module.

Thanks to Hammer for his patience in explaining the process in detail to someone that can solder but has no clue how to achieve the results I was looking for.

Ed
EBerris is offline Find More Posts by EBerris