HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:44 PM
Joined Jan 2011
2,300 Posts
I misread your statement i see. I read it as go pro using the footage....

The plane manufacturers selling aerial footage as promotional material perhaps are getting away with it because of no direct profit from the footage...that comes delayed as more off shelf demand... maybe since we cant find any prosecutorial information they are just calling bluffs. None of them got coas to film or the grants would be locatable in databases

Based on the information given could you see them getting through all these waivers?
branflakes is offline Find More Posts by branflakes
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2012, 12:16 AM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,384 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David22 View Post
Don't you guys speed in your cars
And do many things against the law

When's the last time you had three beers instead of egalitarian limit of say two

I say the police

Who really cares and who really does care
Lawyers. With this attitude of yours your going to make one rich one day soon.
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress
Old Dec 06, 2012, 02:01 AM
DOLLA DOLLA BILL YALL
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2012
880 Posts
i think the FAA dude had to call you so his ass was covered, so he can't lose his job. he doesn't care whether you fly your stupid planes with cameras
quad007 is offline Find More Posts by quad007
Old Dec 06, 2012, 06:01 AM
Never trust laughing dolphins
Joined Feb 2011
2,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie James View Post
So in a nutshell - if you go to that link and can get an exemption to these two CFRs then you can fly your foam airplane to make some money taking photos for people.

Eddie
Apparently, in most countries it's pretty much illegal to take pictures from the air.
PHMX is offline Find More Posts by PHMX
Old Dec 06, 2012, 06:02 AM
Joined Feb 2011
2,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quad007 View Post
i think the FAA dude had to call you so his ass was covered, so he can't lose his job. he doesn't care whether you fly your stupid planes with cameras
Depends if there's a fine quotum to reach.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 06:58 AM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by branflakes View Post
Tarro your question is invalid because you left camera on plane out of the equation

Filming from ground up to your plane, and profiting, legal.

From plane to anywhere while in the sky, without commercial acknowledgment by faa, illegal

If you want to taxi your plane and film/sell that's legal. If it rises off ground in sustained flight you can't.
you can profit off rc planes flying in the nas with magazine features as long as the footage didn't come from the air.
So we can fly our RC planes for profit if we do not have a camera on board?
Interesting.
Tarro is offline Find More Posts by Tarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 06, 2012, 09:51 AM
DOLLA DOLLA BILL YALL
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2012
880 Posts
does the human have to be alive for it to be a manned aircraft? I could put my grandpa's ashes in the cockpit.
quad007 is offline Find More Posts by quad007
Old Dec 06, 2012, 10:29 AM
Joined May 2011
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarro View Post
So we can fly our RC planes for profit if we do not have a camera on board?
Interesting.
No, it is not legal to operate any UAS for any commercial reason what so ever. So if you are flying your plane in any way, camera or not, and receiving compensation for doing so, You are operating against FAA regulations. You are a terrorist and will be put to death.

http://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives/uas/
nblracer880 is offline Find More Posts by nblracer880
Last edited by nblracer880; Dec 06, 2012 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Added FAA Link
Old Dec 06, 2012, 10:58 AM
Joined Feb 2011
2,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nblracer880 View Post
No, it is not legal to operate any UAS for any commercial reason what so ever. So if you are flying your plane in any way, camera or not, and receiving compensation for doing so, You are operating against FAA regulations. You are a terrorist and will be put to death.

http://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives/uas/
I don't think it really matters whether commercial or not. It's the filming from the air that's basically illegal.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 10:58 AM
Joined Jan 2011
2,300 Posts
I saw nothing in the link that discusses how Rc magazines are allowed to make money off Rc planes in the nas which they do.

There is a difference to the FAA between a uav and an Rc plane, post that and we'll have something helpful.

You can make money off Rc planes pictured in flight. You can't make money with pictures taken from an Rc plane. You can snap paparazzi pics from the ground and make money...but not with a quad even though it will be done soon. Its just one is legal, one isn't, currently

All pictures of Rc planes in the sky are for profit in magazines, its allowed. Where the camera is changes things
branflakes is offline Find More Posts by branflakes
Old Dec 06, 2012, 01:23 PM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,552 Posts
one answer to the dilemma

"When you can't solve the problem .... change the problem"

I have a small but intelligent bird who understands English, about as smart as a trained dog, except that he makes his own decisions, which include considering my requests. If you Google "kiki avitron mall" you will see in the short clip that he responds to me shouting "Left!". He flies MUCH faster outside, of course.

He is not "trained" per se, but it is quite possible to actually train a bird large enough to carry a small camera to FOLLOW an R/C plane. My bird will not only follow the Avitron ornithopter, but small fixed wing aircraft as well. Another more complex variation would be to have a radio on the bird so you could speak to him. In any case ...

got it?

L

b.t.w., almost all my planets + sun are in Libra, the sign of Justice; I know injustice when I see it as well as how to operate within the technical limits of "the law".
xlcrlee is offline Find More Posts by xlcrlee
Old Dec 06, 2012, 01:37 PM
FPV Browncoat
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Mar 2011
1,470 Posts
Lol, how about a radio-controlled FPV bird using a mind control device to override the animal's brain?
prelator is online now Find More Posts by prelator
Old Dec 06, 2012, 01:48 PM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by branflakes View Post
I saw nothing in the link that discusses how Rc magazines are allowed to make money off Rc planes in the nas which they do.

There is a difference to the FAA between a uav and an Rc plane, post that and we'll have something helpful.

You can make money off Rc planes pictured in flight. You can't make money with pictures taken from an Rc plane. You can snap paparazzi pics from the ground and make money...but not with a quad even though it will be done soon. Its just one is legal, one isn't, currently

All pictures of Rc planes in the sky are for profit in magazines, its allowed. Where the camera is changes things
If the guy flying the plane was paid, is that bad?
Tarro is offline Find More Posts by Tarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 06, 2012, 01:49 PM
Joined Feb 2011
2,095 Posts
Lol, it's not about commercial use itself, but to profit from something that's illegal is basically the strongest evidence of doing something that could be penalized. It's basically a legal thing, getting an income directly from these activities just counts harder than taking pictures itself.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 01:58 PM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelator View Post
Lol, how about a radio-controlled FPV bird using a mind control device to override the animal's brain?
Speaking simple commands to the bird over a radio is all that's required for a trained bird. But that opens the question of "control".

Having the bird FOLLOW the plane is much simpler. And easier to defend w.r.t. legality. I saw a video in this forum showing a hawk knocking a camera off an R/C glider: the camera was filming all the way down. Next step: can the bird legally pick up and take off with the still-running camera? Can he drop it again? If he's a nice bird, can he give it back to you if you ask?

Even a "trained" bird has free-will [unlike "mind-control"(snicker/mars bar)] and is legally outside the control of the FAA. But there are other govt. agencies dealing with animals who might argue that one was "abusing" the animal,

But then at least you have another agency with which to deal. Find a Canadian bird ....

Alula glider - Hawk attack (8 min 7 sec)

L
xlcrlee is offline Find More Posts by xlcrlee