HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 03, 2012, 03:05 PM
Joined Dec 2012
2 Posts
Discussion
Old Sailplanes & Electric Conversions

Hello. I've recently renewed my interest in sailplanes after having wandered off into the realm of helicopters for several years. In the process I dug into my pile of unbuilt kits and came across an Astro Challenger, a Dynaflyte Apogee, and a Hi-flight Mirage (there was also a Dynaflyte Freedom but I haven't decided what to do with it yet) The Challenger is now in final stages of radio installation and was adapted to accommodate a Hyperion GS2213-16 motor. I'm looking forward to flying it when we flee this frozen land and join the other snowbirds in Phoenix in January.

I'm inclined to build the Apogee as an electric conversion next and would appreciate any comments on where I might find any info from others who may have gone through the same process. Also, I'm thinking that the Hyperion 3020-12 motor would be a good one on which to plan the conversion and would appreciate any thoughts on this choice or suggestions for alternatives (in the same $110 price range). I think the 3020-12 would also be suitable for the Mirage. Opinions?

Thanks,

Dave
David Baron is offline Find More Posts by David Baron
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2012, 02:31 AM
MrE
United States, WA, Gig Harbor
Joined Aug 2007
2,163 Posts
Im not very familiar with the other models in your list but I have been flying an electric Mirage for a little over a year now and its an awesome thermal machine. Out of all the sailplanes Ive flown, its my favorite by far.

You can do a search for 'Mirage' and you will find several build threads for the pure version and a few e-versions.

I was careful to keep weight down when I built mine and did NO structural 'improvements' or additions that involved added weight. In fact, I lightedened the fuse some by removing the tow hook and the extra structure for it, used super light control linkages and a minimalist power system.

Mine ended up at about 32 ounces in sport flying mode (with a smaller battery) and 33 ounces in ALES contest mode - larger battery.

The original 'pure glider' version weighed 33 ounces, so its possible to build these older sailplanes with e-power and NOT end up with a pig

By the way, the Mirage is a very competitive model in ALES contests if you add spoilers - a must in my opinion.

My build thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1501019&pp=100

Good luck with what ever model you decide on
MrE is offline Find More Posts by MrE
Old Dec 04, 2012, 02:42 AM
MrE
Joined Aug 2007
2,163 Posts
Forgot to mention - in my opinion the Hyperion motors are great motors but that particular one is way more than you need for the Mirage. That 3020 weighs 175 grams.

Im using a hacker A20-20L which weighs 56 grams. Im using a 3S 1100 pack, 11x6 folding prop and pulling about 220 watts static. Thats enough power to compete very nicely in ALES competitions and more than enough for sport flying - while still keeping the models all up weight very low.

Build it light, dont add any extra structure, dont beef up the spar, use a light weight power system and you will end up with an outstanding model.

Of course, even if you build it a little heavy, the Mirage will still perform very well. But why build a model with permanent ballast you cant remove?
Old Dec 04, 2012, 05:15 PM
Joined Dec 2012
2 Posts
Thank you, Mr E. After reading your post and reviewing your build thread I took the Apogee plan off my building board and I am going to start with the Mirage. Further to your comments about motor choice, I probably will build it to handle the Hyperion 2213 which at 300 watts and about 80 grams should be a good compromize between weight and power.
David Baron is offline Find More Posts by David Baron
Old Dec 04, 2012, 06:21 PM
MrE
Joined Aug 2007
2,163 Posts
I like that one much better. You will have more than enough power for sure

Please start a build thread so those of us who love the Mirage can follow along. Every builder does things a little (or a lot) differently. I love seeing how other people approach the same problems and what solutions they come up with. Thats where I get most of my best ideas