HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Dec 03, 2012, 03:33 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,782 Posts
Discussion
Your thoughts on this center of wing tape idea..

Was working on some remodeling today. Reached down for the fiberglass self-stick drywall joint tape (not the thin paper type) and cut off a strip. As I looked at it I thought about the possibility of using this tape for reinforcing a wing center area prior to covering the wing. It's thinner than standard fiberglass cloth in thickness and is STRONG. With the advantage of being tacky on one side it would be easy to lay it on the center seam and apply the epoxy, finishing resin or CA.

Has anyone out there actually tried this idea, and if so, how do you feel about the end results?

Soft landings,

Joe
piperjoe is offline Find More Posts by piperjoe
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2012, 05:15 PM
I'm a pilot... 100 yrs to late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,460 Posts
I use regular fiberglass with 3m sticky spray on thea area to be glassed... works very well.... do you have a link to the sticky backed mesh? I think the only problem with the drywall tape is your limited in width you can apply?
Thermalin is offline Find More Posts by Thermalin
Old Dec 03, 2012, 07:32 PM
Closed Account
Joined Mar 2011
478 Posts
I use cloth medical tape all the time, normally with thin CA.
FLYBOB54 is offline Find More Posts by FLYBOB54
Old Dec 03, 2012, 07:50 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,782 Posts
Thermalin, I think I could overlap the actual seam and creat a double thickness of a half inch or so by using two strips of the two inch mesh tape. Then I could always add another strip right over the center seam. The epoxy or CA would bind it all together without the thick edges and f'glass loose threads that require a bit of sanding. I got the tape at a Lowe's and tossed the wrapper so can't help with the name right now.

FlyBob54, hadn't considered medical tape so that is an interesting alternative.

Soft landings,

Joe
Old Dec 04, 2012, 09:03 AM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,167 Posts
I use multiple layers of 3/4 oz cloth. I think I had 6 layers on my last plane. The on in my avatar. Two inch on the center, then 4,6,8,10,12. Make it seven, then the whole wing got the 3/4 oz cloth and epoxy. I did break the wing though after a summer of horrible abuse. I think it was a design flaw rather than a lack of glass cloth.

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old Dec 04, 2012, 09:34 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,736 Posts
Will the epoxy penetrate the drywall tape, and then soak into the wood ? If so, go for it.

If it doesn't penetrate, and lays on top, I wouldn't think there would be much to be gained.
TomCrump is online now Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Dec 04, 2012, 10:05 AM
Joined Jan 2009
1,551 Posts
I have put down miles of that stuff! Not part of my original career training but got to know it intimatley as I expanded my horizons in the building trades ,1969 to present semi-retirement.

My own persoanl view is that for model use it's kind of limted,and would tend to finish heavier than more usual FG cloths. I would think it would be adequate for some c-section reenforcement have no idea of comparative strength to 3/4 or 1 oz FG tapes etc.

I suspect that like other fabrics, it is better in tension than compression. The open weave would require more filling to acheive max strength, but thats not to say it wouldn't be aequate with less than a level fill.

I say sombody needs to give it a go , or do some breakage tests and report back . I think it would work, myself. in a single layer. Multipe layers would, I think build up weight too fast. Lighter tighter FG cloths in multipl lavers would be stronger and lighter, but that's just a guess too.

OBTW- I have used rolled/batt Fibre Glas insulation instead of cloth and mat for mold making. Stay away from the cheap yellow stuf with uneven texture (seems crunchy with bits of grit, glob, and foreign matter). I've used the better quality yellow and pink, but the pure white of Johns Mannville brand (Lowes) looks and handles best . A thin shear layer can be pulled off the batt or any thickness desired. It stipples out bubble free with both polyester and epoxy resins. Easier than commercial "veil mat". Builds bulk fast. Great for spot reenforcement applications in modeling ,too. A single batt would be more than enough for several projects. Can often be had for free as scrap on construction site! I susprct the blown type of FG wool (looks like it snowed in your attic!) would also work well.
packardpursuit is offline Find More Posts by packardpursuit
Old Dec 04, 2012, 02:14 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,782 Posts
If anyone is interested I found another sealed roll of the drywall tape in the remodeling mess...er...."supplies". It's called Perfect Finish FibaTape and is made in Canada by ADFORS of Saint-Gobain. The tape is advertised as: Ultra-Thin drywall tape, it's 1-7/8 inches wide, self adhesive, 33% thinner for a flatter finish and is a fiberglass mesh. And...it really works well for drywall taping purposes, too. Okay...back to the building board....

Soft landings,

Joe
Old Dec 04, 2012, 03:38 PM
United States, OR, Roseburg
Joined Jan 2012
101 Posts
i have used the fiberglass drywall tape. i usually cut in half or thirds and carefully lay it down so the "strings" are offset, not lined up with the layer underneath. i either then cover it with thin epoxy or ca. so far, so good.
sweatybetty is offline Find More Posts by sweatybetty
Old Dec 05, 2012, 10:00 AM
Joined Dec 2009
1,782 Posts
sweatybetty, that's good to hear. I'll be trying this out in test mode later on with epoxy and CA on different sections for comparison. Thanks for the post.

Soft landings,

Joe
Old Dec 06, 2012, 03:33 PM
You sabotaged my plane.
Arizona
Joined Jun 2002
2,825 Posts
Search Chris Klick in the flying wings section. He has used it for years with very good result pushing 200 mph with his setup.
eliworm is offline Find More Posts by eliworm
Old Dec 06, 2012, 05:56 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,782 Posts
Thanks, eliworm, I'll check that out. 200 MPH!!!!

Soft landings,

Joe
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:52 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,782 Posts
Thank you. Thread closed.

Soft landings,

Joe
Closed Thread