HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 03, 2012, 12:32 PM
Libertas in Infinitum
Houston Ellington, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2001
312 Posts
Discussion
Price gouging ...why are Governments allowed to do this but private companies aren't?

Ever notice that parking meters in the city charges higher rates in the middle of work day when more people are looking for parking and parking spaces are at a premium?

Wouldn't one consider this to be "price gouging" in its simplest form? Studies have shown that in large cities in the middle of day, 1/3 of the down town traffic is made up of people looking for parking. City planners know this, and know that people will pay whatever the cost of parking is during this time, so, prices are higher
logan5 is online now Find More Posts by logan5
Old Dec 03, 2012, 02:25 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,154 Posts
Here in Austin, they are planning toll lanes for Loop 1. The toll with vary with traffic volume. I'm not sure how that will work. When I worked for the Corps of Engineers in St. Louis, I rode the bus because of parking difficulty.

Power companies, public and private, charge more for electricity during peak demand hours.
Jim Thomerson is online now Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson
Old Dec 03, 2012, 02:37 PM
Bagpipes spoken here
United States, MN, St Paul
Joined Aug 2007
108 Posts
Likewise the transit systems I use charge higher fares during peak periods.
Airlines also charge higher prices for peak travel periods.
Movie theaters charge higher prices for peak viewing times.
Vacation resorts charge higher prices during the summer vs. winter periods.

The OP baffles me.
Pipemajor is offline Find More Posts by Pipemajor
Old Dec 03, 2012, 02:43 PM
Libertas in Infinitum
Houston Ellington, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2001
312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipemajor View Post
Likewise the transit systems I use charge higher fares during peak periods.
Airlines also charge higher prices for peak travel periods.
Movie theaters charge higher prices for peak viewing times.
Vacation resorts charge higher prices during the summer vs. winter periods.

The OP baffles me.
The point is to highlight that the Government also practices in "gouging", which is to modify the price of a product based on the demand and availability of resources.

There have been many pushes by people to have the Government step in and regulate prices ... and yet, the Government practices on a regular basis the principles of supply and demand that results in inflated prices.
logan5 is online now Find More Posts by logan5
Old Dec 03, 2012, 02:48 PM
Joined Oct 2005
659 Posts
A lot of local governments (i.e., not The Government) outsource parking meters to private companies.

A great American thinker of the early 21st Century said:

gouge me once, shame on [pauses] shame on you. Gouge me [pauses] You can't get gouged again.
peterp1964 is offline Find More Posts by peterp1964
Old Dec 03, 2012, 02:51 PM
Trons and Fumes
Fallon, NV
Joined Mar 2007
5,033 Posts
Supply and Demand.

Simple, really.
wrightme is offline Find More Posts by wrightme
Old Dec 03, 2012, 02:55 PM
United States, FL, Eustis
Joined Oct 2012
420 Posts
In most instances "price gouging" isn't really a bad thing. Do you want to pay $5 a gallon for bottled water a few days before a hurricane and actually be able to buy water or do you want to pay 99 cents and not be able to find any because people have purchased much more than they need?

Most of the time when people complain about price gouging it is echoed by politicians because it lets them do something that GIVES THE APPEARANCE that they care.
AustinG is offline Find More Posts by AustinG
Old Dec 03, 2012, 03:06 PM
We want... Information!
Hastings, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2001
5,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinG View Post
Do you want to pay $5 a gallon for bottled water a few days before a hurricane and actually be able to buy water or do you want to pay 99 cents and not be able to find any because people have purchased much more than they need?
Price gouging - the other form of rationing!
Bruce Abbott is offline Find More Posts by Bruce Abbott
Old Dec 03, 2012, 03:15 PM
In Development Now
Joined May 2005
445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinG View Post
In most instances "price gouging" isn't really a bad thing. Do you want to pay $5 a gallon for bottled water a few days before a hurricane and actually be able to buy water or do you want to pay 99 cents and not be able to find any because people have purchased much more than they need?

Most of the time when people complain about price gouging it is echoed by politicians because it lets them do something that GIVES THE APPEARANCE that they care.
Woah. Don't let real life economics show up around here. It's not allowed.
Indiana_Geoff is offline Find More Posts by Indiana_Geoff
Old Dec 03, 2012, 03:44 PM
ὅπερ ἔδει δεῖξαι
Joined May 2000
3,335 Posts
This thread distorts the meaning of the term price gouging. Price gouging is not simply the practice of charging a higher rate at specific times.

Quote:
Price gouging is a pejorative term referring to a situation in which a seller prices goods or commodities much higher than is considered reasonable or fair. This rapid increase in prices occurs after a demand or supply shock: examples include price increases after hurricanes or other natural disasters. In precise, legal usage, it is the name of a crime that applies in some of the United States during civil emergencies.
Gerald is offline Find More Posts by Gerald
Old Dec 03, 2012, 03:47 PM
Figure Nine Champ
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
This thread distorts the meaning of the term price gouging. Price gouging is not simply the practice of charging a higher rate at specific times.
Quote:
Price gouging is a pejorative term referring to a situation in which a seller prices goods or commodities much higher than is considered reasonable or fair. This rapid increase in prices occurs after a demand or supply shock: examples include price increases after hurricanes or other natural disasters. In precise, legal usage, it is the name of a crime that applies in some of the United States during civil emergencies.
Obviously the writer never studied market forces in Economics.

What is "fair", is when a buyer and seller agree on a price and the product is sold.
madsci_guy is offline Find More Posts by madsci_guy
Old Dec 03, 2012, 03:52 PM
Borders, language & culture
United States, TN, Maryville
Joined Jun 2001
213 Posts
Same reason government gets to do insider trading, gun running and all the other illegal things they do.
AintQytRite is offline Find More Posts by AintQytRite
Old Dec 03, 2012, 06:32 PM
United States, FL, Eustis
Joined Oct 2012
420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
Please provide a good example of price gouging then. I guess you could say that if someone bought up all the water in NYC and then tried to charge $100 a bottle or something, but how would that work in practice? People would be bringing in water to fill the void. If the person on the ground in NYC is charging too much then others from around the area have an incentive to try to find ways to get water to the area. Just like they would have if there was no water at all. Suddenly a person or group of people dropping everything and renting a truck or trucks filled with water makes sense. The amount that they can make selling water will pay for the rental, the gas and their time.

This will happen naturally without any help from the government. You only become dependent on the government when they make it illegal to sell water above the regular price. When you do that then you need the government or charities to bring it in. The higher price doesn't stop you from giving money to people who need the water so they can buy it either which would be the answer to the what about people who can't afford it question.
AustinG is offline Find More Posts by AustinG
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:28 PM
Central Texas
Joined Jun 2008
4,146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Thomerson View Post
Here in Austin, they are planning toll lanes for Loop 1. The toll with vary with traffic volume. I'm not sure how that will work. When I worked for the Corps of Engineers in St. Louis, I rode the bus because of parking difficulty.

Power companies, public and private, charge more for electricity during peak demand hours.
Not only that but this is a road that has already been paid for with tax money. They are going to shrink lanes and re stripe then toll. It is criminal what they are doing
ambientech is online now Find More Posts by ambientech
Last edited by ambientech; Dec 03, 2012 at 09:37 PM.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 09:54 AM
Disgruntled Member
United States, OK, Anadarko
Joined Aug 2003
1,629 Posts
Obamacare will be a fine example of gouging... The feds will now want their cut of your healthcare buck.
RCWorks is offline Find More Posts by RCWorks
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: HobbyCNC ProBoard...