HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 12, 2003, 04:16 PM
Smooth Air
Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
Joined Apr 2003
1,500 Posts
Fokker Dr.1 Triplane 1/12 Scale Beta Build

Previously available in only plans, Gary from http://www.dvflighttech.com sent me a beta kit to play with.

I fell in love with this plane the first time I saw it fly, I knew I had to have one.

Put together using Odorless CA and Baking Soda or Balsa Dust, the kit so far has been a real pleasure to build. Powered by either a single IPS or dual IPS motor, she 's going to be a blast.
Morb is offline Find More Posts by Morb
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 12, 2003, 04:18 PM
Smooth Air
Joined Apr 2003
1,500 Posts
While you guys are reading this, please bear in mind I am a VERY slow builder, so be patient, I'm doing her as fast and as carefully as I can.

Included are instructions and the plans...I think this is going to be a fun kit to build.

Included are pushrods, all gear to put the plane together (sans glue) .. no needing out to go buy extra stuff except your radio gear. Gary has really put a lot of thought, ( and a little love I believe) into this kit.
Old Dec 12, 2003, 04:21 PM
Smooth Air
Joined Apr 2003
1,500 Posts
The fuse went together without a hitch, even though I did have to refer to the plans several times...I'm a little nutty about making my measurements right, as the instructions don't include any.

I have never used odorless CA except on small fix it jobs, and found it takes a bit of time for it to dry. Low tack masking tape held things together nicely.
Old Dec 12, 2003, 04:25 PM
Smooth Air
Joined Apr 2003
1,500 Posts
Battery holder and firewall installed. This foam is really nice to work with..Depron I believe....You have to round the fuse around the firewall, but a little pressure from your hands, and low tack masking tape hold everything in place very nicely.

This is about 40 minutes into the build... (See above, I'm slow)
Old Dec 12, 2003, 04:27 PM
Smooth Air
Joined Apr 2003
1,500 Posts
A bit of molding with my hot fingers again, and the fuse top formed over. Very nice. Low tack masking tape has become my new best friend, as I did find a third pair of hands would be nice.

This is the stage I'm at...more to follow.

Geof.
www.smoothair.ca
Old Dec 13, 2003, 09:22 AM
sardis,bc
Joined Sep 2003
502 Posts
looking good morb
CRASH GORDON is offline Find More Posts by CRASH GORDON
Old Dec 14, 2003, 06:51 PM
Smooth Air
Joined Apr 2003
1,500 Posts
Thanks Crash..

Okies, now that I have a couple of days off work, back to business....or....how much building can I do before I run out of CA.

So, of course you've been wondering what holds those wings together...is it epoxy, CA, Solder?? Nope...all of those wings are held together with these..........
Old Dec 14, 2003, 06:54 PM
Smooth Air
Joined Apr 2003
1,500 Posts
The magnets are included with the kit. You must make a little mount in the fuse, to match up to the one on the wing. The holes are precut for the magnets in the wing. Pretty cool stuff. Something I admit I had a little difficulty with was getting the little foam piece in the fuse, to match up to the wing. Gary suggests placing the magnet on top of the other magnet..waiting till the CA has dried a bit, and prying the magnets apart with a knife.

I suggest, before you put the top fuse cover on, you put the lower wing magnets on, and THEN put the top fuse cover on. This will greatly help us guys with fat fingers.

On the wing..........
Old Dec 14, 2003, 06:55 PM
Smooth Air
Joined Apr 2003
1,500 Posts
And in the fuse.......You're provided with spare foam to make these mounts and for the little lips required for the lower and middle wings to slip into.......
Old Dec 14, 2003, 06:57 PM
Smooth Air
Joined Apr 2003
1,500 Posts
Now..on to work with the middle wing..have to put supports on the wing, and they must touch the firewall. Held in place by..you guessed it..all the other magnets you install. The wood strips are placed under a foam strip you must glue to the firewall.

Lots of baking soda used for this for filler..you don't want these guys falling off.
Old Dec 14, 2003, 06:59 PM
Smooth Air
Joined Apr 2003
1,500 Posts
And..last post of the day.cause I now must wait for more CA to come in. Thankfully, Henry at www.zebrahobby.ca is a very realiable & fast shipper.

Since I was gluing these two magnets to ply, I decided to go with my trusty superstrong Black Rubber CA..Stuffs strong.

Unfortunatly, I don't know how the rubber CA would respond to the Zepron...didn't have any spare pieces to try....

You can see that their are very detailed pictures showing how to install these struts. Very nicely done Gary.

More to come, so far, I'm having a blast........

Geof.
www.smoothair.ca
Old Dec 15, 2003, 11:36 AM
Långa Landet Falukorv
Sweden
Joined Nov 2003
70 Posts
Nice going so far, Morb This plane is lost of fun to build. Think I´ll build one more, with a different paint scheme. I hade some difficulty where to put the two wood pieces But it workt out ok.
So there´s a kit coming, nice. Haven´t flown mine yet, weather sucks in Sweden now. But I think I´ll maiden mine indoors soon.
Keep up the good work.
Seastar is offline Find More Posts by Seastar
Old Dec 15, 2003, 01:44 PM
Me likes Depron...
Amsterdam Schiphol, Netherlands
Joined Mar 2003
1,577 Posts
Nice,

I Paypalled for the plans right away
Do you have an estimate on the weight of the airframe only?
I'm curious about the wingloading I can achieve with light equipment and lipo's for indoor use..
Keep the buildin' pics coming pleaz.....

Peter
Pjotrrr is offline Find More Posts by Pjotrrr
Old Dec 15, 2003, 03:40 PM
Långa Landet Falukorv
Sweden
Joined Nov 2003
70 Posts
you can look at this thread also--> http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=84854
I got lots of pics from when I built my DR1, I can post some of mine along with Morb´s progress. If it´s OK?

I think the airframe alone weights about 100g/3,5oz
Seastar is offline Find More Posts by Seastar
Old Dec 15, 2003, 04:05 PM
Me likes Depron...
Amsterdam Schiphol, Netherlands
Joined Mar 2003
1,577 Posts
Thanks, I will check that thread now too, 100 grams of Depron sounds right..
Should be possible then to keep it under the 250 with Lipo's and light equipment
Hope to get the password for the plans soon, got a lot of building time and Depron in black and white over here now

Peter
Pjotrrr is offline Find More Posts by Pjotrrr