HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 03, 2012, 03:29 PM
The "pro" in procrastination
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve85 View Post
Your paper suggests that Luxemburg's murder rate in 2002 was 9.01 per 100,000, compared to Germany's 0.93. Just Googling around, I discovered here:

http://www.nationmaster.com/country/...ourg/cri-crime

that Luxemburg had two (2) "manslaughters" in 2002 in a population of 474,000. That's a "murder" rate of 0.42, which is half the figure quoted in your study for Germany, and less than 1/20th the figure quoted for Luxemburg that year.

I don't know Kates and Mauser from Adam, but if their work contains this kind of error, they're either grossly incompetent or lying... neither of which lends much credible support to their conclusions.
logan? Are you still there, logan? Maybe it would be better if the gun-control advocates didn't actually read your paper...
Steve85 is offline Find More Posts by Steve85
Last edited by Steve85; Dec 03, 2012 at 03:37 PM.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 03:32 PM
Joined Aug 2011
714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLGjunkyard View Post
Bingo

Takes a split second to kill yourself with a gun , very little pain AKA easy way out
Meh I got some pills thatll do the same thing, wont feel a thing.
UlteriorModem is offline Find More Posts by UlteriorModem
Old Dec 03, 2012, 03:36 PM
D W
I love you man.
United States, NY, Pelham
Joined Sep 2002
2,743 Posts
I don't understand why "celebrities" even need to weigh in on these things. Why? Because they can?
We have Pink Floyd at the U.N. George Clooney in Congress. Kim Kardashean(sp?) meeting Middle East Ambassadors etc, etc.
Certainly there are smarter people in the room than musicians and actors and whatever Ms Kardashean is that we can listen to about such important issues.
D W is online now Find More Posts by D W
Old Dec 03, 2012, 03:39 PM
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
I don't understand why "celebrities" even need to weigh in on these things. Why? Because they can?
We have Pink Floyd at the U.N. George Clooney in Congress. Kim Kardashean(sp?) meeting Middle East Ambassadors etc, etc.
Certainly there are smarter people in the room than musicians and actors and whatever Ms Kardashean is that we can listen to about such important issues.
I'm with you on that! Kim Kardashian? I can't think of any self-respecting cause that would claim her as a "spokesperson"
Old Dec 03, 2012, 03:39 PM
I ♥ OpenTX
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-51C View Post
Time to get rid of all the cars...
It would be nice, wouldn't it?

Unfortunately, cars are still our primary means of transport. They get us from A to B and thereby make all manner of things possible, including a commensurately larger economy. Cars are also comparatively far, far safer than guns, if the average number of uses per fatality is taken into account, and getting safer all the time.

With the exception of a primary producer protecting his produce (howzat for alliteration), guns in the wider society serve no useful purpose, except to generate a bit of business for those who sell yet more guns. Guns do not transport, improve, or make anything. They are designed to kill and maim, which immediately and incontrovertibly sets them apart from otherwise useful devices whose capacity to hurt is an incidental byproduct consciously minimised by their design - cars, boats, elevators, pencils...

The fact that almost any implement can be used to cause injury is completely irrelevant to the issue of civilian gun ownership.
H2SO4 is offline Find More Posts by H2SO4
Old Dec 03, 2012, 03:41 PM
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,661 Posts
I've stirred the pot enough for one afternoon. Time to go see what's for supper. All you gun-lovers down south, take care.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 03:48 PM
Foamie Freak!
United States, NC, Cornelius
Joined May 2012
87 Posts
This guy that worked at my local gun shop, put a sign out front during an AR-15 sale, that read, "Get your AR-15,s here, BEFORE THE DEMOCRATS DO". Anyway, the gunshop owner(even though we thought it was funny as hell), got very mad at the guy. He said, and I qoute, " Democrats are some of my best customers".....
Leather Helmet is offline Find More Posts by Leather Helmet
Old Dec 03, 2012, 03:59 PM
Houston, TX, US
Joined Jun 2000
1,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyd60 View Post
I want to know how he can say:

"... without handguns they would both be alive today"

.......How does Bob Costas know these things? Is he superman?......
No, he's even better than Superman. He's Bob Costas.
DaveG is offline Find More Posts by DaveG
Old Dec 03, 2012, 04:17 PM
D W
I love you man.
United States, NY, Pelham
Joined Sep 2002
2,743 Posts
They should fire Costas. He had no business bringing up his personal beliefs on the air.
D W is online now Find More Posts by D W
Old Dec 03, 2012, 04:26 PM
Central Texas
Joined Jun 2008
4,146 Posts
Charlton Heston; From My Cold Dead Hands. Long Version (2 min 46 sec)

Nuff Said
ambientech is offline Find More Posts by ambientech
Old Dec 03, 2012, 04:39 PM
Libertas in Infinitum
Houston Ellington, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2001
312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve85 View Post
logan? Are you still there, logan? Maybe it would be better if the gun-control advocates didn't actually read your paper...
I'm glad you did read it. Did you perchance also notice that every table and every piece of data was refereneced to other studies and government reports?
logan5 is online now Find More Posts by logan5
Old Dec 03, 2012, 05:40 PM
Houston, TX, US
Joined Jun 2000
1,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambientech View Post
How long would Costas have been on the air if he'd taken this position?
DaveG is offline Find More Posts by DaveG
Old Dec 03, 2012, 05:42 PM
Gravity is patient............
Joined Mar 2006
1,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
No, he's even better than Superman. He's Bob Costas.
Bob seems like a nice guy, but he needs to stick with sports.

If you are mad/crazy enough to pick up a gun and shoot an unarmed person, you are mad/crazy enough to kill them with a baseball bat, a crowbar, a knife, fill in your favorite household object here.

If he didn't have the gun, he might have killed her anyway, but then not killled himself which would have made the tragedy even worse. At least he can't do anyone else any harm or cost the taxpayers millions while liberal lawyers tried to keep him off death row. So there's that.
billyd60 is offline Find More Posts by billyd60
Old Dec 03, 2012, 06:10 PM
Now fortified with carbon
Canada, ON, Puslinch
Joined Apr 2010
2,698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyd60 View Post
Bob seems like a nice guy, but he needs to stick with sports.

If you are mad/crazy enough to pick up a gun and shoot an unarmed person, you are mad/crazy enough to kill them with a baseball bat, a crowbar, a knife, fill in your favorite household object here.

If he didn't have the gun, he might have killed her anyway, but then not killled himself which would have made the tragedy even worse. At least he can't do anyone else any harm or cost the taxpayers millions while liberal lawyers tried to keep him off death row. So there's that.
. Im having a hardtime with your logic. His infant daughter now has no parents Perhaps if it wasnt for his gun they might all be alive, seeking help ,you know, being a parent. I cant imagine his now infant daughter growing up and applauding gun use, can you?
DLGjunkyard is offline Find More Posts by DLGjunkyard
Old Dec 03, 2012, 06:14 PM
I want to go flying!
Joined May 2010
414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLGjunkyard View Post
. Im having a hardtime with your logic. His infant daughter now has no parents Perhaps if it wasnt for his gun they might all be alive, seeking help ,you know, being a parent. I cant imagine his now infant daughter growing up and applauding gun use, can you?
A very close friend of mine hung himself with a dog leash leaving a wife and small children without a Daddy. . Should we outlaw dog leases?
BE77 Pilot is online now Find More Posts by BE77 Pilot