HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 03, 2012, 01:21 PM
Registered User
Houston Ellington, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2001
312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve85 View Post
Canada: 31 civilian-owned guns per 100 citizens, 0.51 gun homicides per 100,000 population

USA: 89 civilian-owned guns per 100 citizens, 2.97 gun homicides per 100,000 population


You're not seriously suggesting it's only something in the water that makes Canadians kill each other with guns at one-sixth the rate of Americans, are you?

Get real.
actually, Canadian gun ownership is 1/3rd of that of the US and yet has 1/6th of the gun crime.

If there were a one to one corrolation, then wouldn't Canadian gun crime be also 1/3rd that of the US as opposed to 1/6th?

There's a really greate report put out by the Harvard Law Journal that showed gun ownership changed only the nature of the violent crimes but didn't change the rate of violent crimes. And that cultural values drove crime rates more than anything else. Their example was the old Soviet Union where private gun ownership was completely nill ... while they had almost zero gun related murders, their murder rate was significantly higher than in the US.

I posted the report, but no Gun Control advocates here on the forum actually read it.
logan5 is offline Find More Posts by logan5
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 03, 2012, 01:26 PM
It's 5 O'clock Somewhere
RumRunner_1492's Avatar
Dayton, OH
Joined Feb 2006
418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve85 View Post
Nope. But if some punk picks up a two by four to kill me, I can outrun him.

An abundance of guns makes it way too easy for you to kill each other.
So do knives bows and many many other things.
RumRunner_1492 is online now Find More Posts by RumRunner_1492
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 03, 2012, 01:35 PM
The "pro" in procrastination
Steve85's Avatar
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumRunner_1492 View Post
So do knives bows and many many other things.
Yup. And I can outrun them too. A .40 S&W on the other hand will catch up to me every time.
Steve85 is online now Find More Posts by Steve85
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 03, 2012, 01:37 PM
Owns an Evil Black Rifle
Twizter68's Avatar
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Dec 2005
1,038 Posts
Can't blame it on the real problem, everyone screams racist when you bring up the breakdown of morals and the family unit.
Twizter68 is offline Find More Posts by Twizter68
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 03, 2012, 01:38 PM
Reserved Parking
P-51C's Avatar
Joined Jun 2004
926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve85 View Post
Nope. But if some punk picks up a two by four to kill me, I can outrun him.

An abundance of guns makes it way too easy for you to kill each other.
So, those that are not fast enough to outrun the punk with the two by four should be killed?

Great perspective there.
P-51C is offline Find More Posts by P-51C
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 03, 2012, 01:41 PM
The "pro" in procrastination
Steve85's Avatar
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
actually, Canadian gun ownership is 1/3rd of that of the US and yet has 1/6th of the gun crime.

If there were a one to one corrolation, then wouldn't Canadian gun crime be also 1/3rd that of the US as opposed to 1/6th?

There's a really greate report put out by the Harvard Law Journal that showed gun ownership changed only the nature of the violent crimes but didn't change the rate of violent crimes. And that cultural values drove crime rates more than anything else. Their example was the old Soviet Union where private gun ownership was completely nill ... while they had almost zero gun related murders, their murder rate was significantly higher than in the US.

I posted the report, but no Gun Control advocates here on the forum actually read it.
Do you really want to compare yourselves to the old Soviet Union for comfort? The West Bank and Gaza have a similar rate of gun-caused homicides as the US, and Sierra Leone has a lower rate. US gun deaths are on average eight times higher than for similiarly affluent and developed countries. You're judged by the company you keep...
Steve85 is online now Find More Posts by Steve85
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 03, 2012, 01:46 PM
Owns an Evil Black Rifle
Twizter68's Avatar
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Dec 2005
1,038 Posts
Similarly developed and affluent countries still have strong family units per se.
Twizter68 is offline Find More Posts by Twizter68
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 03, 2012, 01:46 PM
It's 5 O'clock Somewhere
RumRunner_1492's Avatar
Dayton, OH
Joined Feb 2006
418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve85 View Post
Yup. And I can outrun them too. A .40 S&W on the other hand will catch up to me every time.
You can outrun someone using a bow and arrow? You must be really fast. If you're not in the olymics you should be.
RumRunner_1492 is online now Find More Posts by RumRunner_1492
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 03, 2012, 01:50 PM
The "pro" in procrastination
Steve85's Avatar
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumRunner_1492 View Post
You can outrun someone using a bow and arrow? You must be really fast. If you're not in the olymics you should be.
Bow and arrow? I keep seeing Steve Martin...

Seriously, guys, the elephant is right there in the room with you. On the other hand, you're probably past the point of no return; it's not like you're ever going to be able to police up 300 million guns, even if you were all willing.

Why not just accept that more gun-related deaths are "the cost of doing business" in a nation so gun-obsessed?
Steve85 is online now Find More Posts by Steve85
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 03, 2012, 01:50 PM
Registered User
Houston Ellington, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2001
312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve85 View Post
Yup. And I can outrun them too. A .40 S&W on the other hand will catch up to me every time.
I don't think you could outrun a bow.
logan5 is offline Find More Posts by logan5
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 03, 2012, 01:52 PM
Registered User
Houston Ellington, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2001
312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve85 View Post
Do you really want to compare yourselves to the old Soviet Union for comfort? The West Bank and Gaza have a similar rate of gun-caused homicides as the US, and Sierra Leone has a lower rate. US gun deaths are on average eight times higher than for similiarly affluent and developed countries. You're judged by the company you keep...
The example was to highlight the fact that increased gun ownership is not corrolated to violent crime or muder rates. it only changes the tool used to commit the crimes.

The rate of violent crimes is more cultural based and not "tool" based.
logan5 is offline Find More Posts by logan5
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 03, 2012, 01:56 PM
The "pro" in procrastination
Steve85's Avatar
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
The rate of violent crimes is more cultural based and not "tool" based.
Oh, please. American culture is closer to that of the West Bank and Gaza than to Canada? And Canada's culture is closer to Kyrgystan's than the US? You'll have to do better than that.
Steve85 is online now Find More Posts by Steve85
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 03, 2012, 02:03 PM
Expo/DualRates = Lack of Skill
typeRA's Avatar
San Diego, CA
Joined Mar 2009
789 Posts
If baseball team X averages 3.2 home runs and has 43 bats;

and baseball team Y averages 1.7 home runs and has 21 bats;

then more bats available means more home runs.
typeRA is online now Find More Posts by typeRA
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 03, 2012, 02:07 PM
The "pro" in procrastination
Steve85's Avatar
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-51C View Post
So, those that are not fast enough to outrun the punk with the two by four should be killed?

Great perspective there.
Okay, then how about the chances that someone IN YOUR GUN-OWNING HOME dying through gun-related homicide being twice as high as in a home where there are no guns?
Steve85 is online now Find More Posts by Steve85
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 03, 2012, 02:10 PM
The "pro" in procrastination
Steve85's Avatar
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by typeRA View Post
If baseball team X averages 3.2 home runs and has 43 bats;

and baseball team Y averages 1.7 home runs and has 21 bats;

then more bats available means more home runs.
Don't look now, but....
Steve85 is online now Find More Posts by Steve85
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Safety discussion. How do we determine if a shoot is worth the risk. Tarro Aerial Photography 22 Jul 07, 2012 03:15 PM
Discussion Update on our Wounded Warrior... not good FiremanBill SEFF 2012 4 Jun 15, 2012 12:38 PM
Poll Do you wear safety goggles/safety glasses when you fly Z06 Tony Large Electric Helis 21 Mar 16, 2011 05:34 AM
Discussion Safety Issue / Do not view if squemish rctvlive Electric Heli Talk 6 Aug 15, 2010 02:26 PM
Discussion Proposal to help enhance our security. peterp1964 Life, The Universe, and Politics 35 May 17, 2006 07:04 PM