HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 06, 2012, 05:49 AM
Expo/DualRates = Lack of Skill
San Diego, CA
Joined Mar 2009
789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone_axe View Post
The vast majority of people killed by a firearm are killed by someone they know - over half of them are killed by one of their family members.
The same is probably true of all forms of violence, such as stabbing, punching, and slapping.

Quote:
About a quarter of all people killed by a firearm are killed by their own firearm.
Suicides.

Quote:
Owning a firearm increases your risk of burglary by a factor of 10.
This sounds a little fishy. Is there a source for this information?
typeRA is offline Find More Posts by typeRA
Old Dec 06, 2012, 05:53 AM
Joined May 2010
42 Posts
Have not made many comment lately, however i have been lurking.
on this note ((this thread.)
E-props dont enhace safty. Many people have had bad cuts. perhaps the govermnet should outlaw them .ooh wait.Flying 5 pound missel with a Eprop is even worse.
QQuestor is offline Find More Posts by QQuestor
Old Dec 06, 2012, 10:42 PM
Not THAT Ira
Coupeville, Wa
Joined Jan 2006
4,722 Posts
Real Ira is offline Find More Posts by Real Ira
Old Dec 08, 2012, 10:22 PM
Now fortified with carbon
Canada, ON, Puslinch
Joined Apr 2010
2,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddiozz View Post
A lack of guns Does not make you safer .Guns make it far easier for someone using one to cause greivious personal injury or death to your person...but the lack therof doesn't slow or stop the intent.You are fooling only yourself if you truly believe you are "safer"because there are fewer guns around.Some of the most violent people I've personally come in contact with were from Canada..also some of the rudest.
How about this little fella. Did guns make his life safer ?

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2012/...-in-mercer-co/
DLGjunkyard is offline Find More Posts by DLGjunkyard
Old Dec 08, 2012, 10:28 PM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLGjunkyard View Post

Rule #1 of responsible gun ownership "never muzzle sweep or point at anything you're not willing to kill. Or is that rule #2 or something (along with make sure the chamber is empty)

An unfortunate accident that could have been easily avoided. but daddiozz post is still valid.
foam and tape is online now Find More Posts by foam and tape
Old Dec 08, 2012, 10:36 PM
Central Texas
Joined Jun 2008
4,146 Posts
Quote:

An accident and those happen all the time in numerous different ways. The parent failed to make sure the gun was unloaded. It could just as easily have been the parent not securing child in seat belt and had an accident ejecting child from vehicle.....
ambientech is online now Find More Posts by ambientech
Old Dec 08, 2012, 11:37 PM
Ky
Joined Feb 2003
1,484 Posts
Quote:

The gun in and of itself did nothing, the irresponsible parent is to blame here. It is the person responsible for the safe handling of the gun who decides whether or not it makes someone safer.
Dave Barrow is offline Find More Posts by Dave Barrow
Old Dec 09, 2012, 12:20 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,146 Posts
Definition of ANIMISM

2: attribution of conscious life to objects in and phenomena of nature or to inanimate objects

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Dec 09, 2012, 04:17 AM
Scotland
Joined Sep 2009
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Perhaps if there never was a AWB in the 90s or silly regulations like 10 round mags or bullet buttons or Class3 Stamps, you'd have a point. But unfortunately we've watched our rights get slowly eroded away .... So it easy to see why people are jumpy. Plus we've seen firearms taken away wholesale in countries like the UK and Australia and while that may be okay for you guys, we here do not want to see that happen to us. I won't insult you by expressing my opinion on your policies, but it should be obvious that many of us here in the states see what's happened in your country and fear it.
I don't think you are fully aware of what happened in the UK with regards to gun control. Firstly there never was the same uptake of ownership as in the US. Civil wars over here went out of fashion before firearms were widely available. We didn't have a Wild West to tame.
Private gun ownership decreased after WW2 due to a lack of interest. Gun ranges (indoor and outdoor) closed due to lack of interest. We don't have as many wide open spaces and those we do tend to get used for more popular pastimes such as golf.
We don't nip down to the shops in a jetpack as to us it looks a bit dangerous and unnecessary.
For much the same reasons I don't have a gun in the house. I could avail myself of a single shot (bolt action) AR-15 if I chose to do so. It isn't on my list for Santa.
Like people in the US we choose our representatives on a regular basis. It is worth noticing that none of the major (or minor) parties promotes private gun ownership as an issue. Nobody has taken our guns away.
mortato is online now Find More Posts by mortato
Old Dec 09, 2012, 04:56 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,453 Posts
Mortato
Afraid it does not matter how many times you might try to explain the reality, you will continue to be met with the mythology that is presented. There is an enormous blind spot which just cannot accept that things are different in different parts of the world. The gun guys simply cannot envisage that there is a different, valid, point of view that everyone does not need or want to be armed with a gun. In the end, as Logan5 has posted, a lot of that comes down to fear. I am guessing, but I suppose that you, like me, are not afraid of the prospect of not having a gun and know full well that if either of us actually wanted to own one then that us indeed possible. I even have a gun safe, come to think of it.
leccyflyer is online now Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Dec 09, 2012, 05:25 AM
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined May 2008
140 Posts
There is a difference between not needing or wanting to be armed and intentionally granting others the power to prevent you from ever changing your mind.
saltyzoo is online now Find More Posts by saltyzoo
Last edited by saltyzoo; Dec 09, 2012 at 05:35 AM.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 05:56 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltyzoo View Post
There is a difference between not needing or wanting to be armed and intentionally granting others the power to prevent you from ever changing your mind.
The power to change your mind is intrinsic in a democratic system, via the ballot box and through one's elected representatives.
leccyflyer is online now Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Dec 09, 2012, 05:58 AM
Scotland
Joined Sep 2009
66 Posts
Quote:
I don't believe this covers the situation in the UK.
Firstly very few bother to own firearms which they are fully entitled to do so. The ones that do tend to be the ones who have a proffessional use for them e.g. Farmers and Gamekeepers.
There is nothing to stop me or anyone else starting up a political party or single issue movement to promote gun ownership by changing current legislation. It would actually be pretty straightforward. I wouldn't need millions in the bank. It wouldn't need the amendment of a constitution. In this day and age I wouldn't even need to go to the expense of printing leaflets. A facebook campaign or an online petition at the government website would suffice.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 06:00 AM
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined May 2008
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leccyflyer View Post
The power to change your mind is intrinsic in a democratic system, via the ballot box.
You've ceded your individual right to bear arms to the "democratic system". You personally have no control over whether or not you can own a gun.

You're ok with that. But that is the entire premise of the American constitution. We aren't ok with giving up our rights and hoping to be able to get them back some day.

The fact is, it's exceedingly rare that rights, once taken away, are returned without bloodshed.
saltyzoo is online now Find More Posts by saltyzoo
Old Dec 09, 2012, 06:06 AM
Scotland
Joined Sep 2009
66 Posts
Quote:
You've ceded your individual right to bear arms to the "democratic system". You personally have no control over whether or not you can own a gun.

You're ok with that. But that is the entire premise of the American constitution. We aren't ok with giving up our rights and hoping to be able to get them back some day.

The fact is, it's exceedingly rare that rights, once taken away, are returned without bloodshed.
I wouldn't like to comment on what is true in the US however I don't believe this is true in the UK.
Within 2 years time I will be voting on whether Scotland will secede from the UK. I am showing this as merely an example of the sort of thing we actually vote for. As in a UK citizen voting for the end of the UK. I don't feel particularly "unempowered" when it comes to ballots.