HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 03, 2012, 05:07 AM
United Kingdom, England, Guildford
Joined Nov 2012
66 Posts
Build Log
80's Hobby-Lobby Telemaster

I'm starting a build log thread for my Telemaster build.
I have not made any pictures yet, but I have one wing almost finished.

The kit is is almost as old as I. (IIRC from 83)
DeepThought is offline Find More Posts by DeepThought
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2012, 05:27 AM
Joined Nov 2012
66 Posts
Some lessons learned.

Empirical units are proper weird.
I had a ruler with Inches. Should be good I thought.
That ruler is decimal, the kit is all in those weird fractions.
I was dead in my tracks before I even started. Thanks god I found the right ruler later.
Still freaks me out like crazy. The time I spend checking and double checking if I have the right piece of wood in my hands is not funny.

Anyway. Sorry if my winging is not funny.

Progress is crazy fast I got my right wing almost done on a Saturday afternoon.

I made a few errors. I think I got the leading edge wrong. But I'm still not even sure about that. I glued the leading edge spar ontop of the bottom sheet. I think I should have butt gleud it in front of it.

And I later realised that my trailing edge spar was a bit crooked. Unfortunately not before it was well glued in. Next time I check with a long metal ruler.

Also the old wobbly plans created a lot of headache. They where rolled up for 30 years and quite stiff. Getting the wing plane ontop of that was tricky.

Also, I need more heavy things to weigh glued parts down. And better clamps.

Later today I will try to upload a few pictures. Also showing off my ply wing joiner.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:29 AM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,267 Posts
Welcome to the world of RC! There is a nice Telly build here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1659861

A very talented young lady has set the bar pretty high if you ask me. Don't let her out do you

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old Dec 03, 2012, 03:14 PM
Joined Feb 2010
2,171 Posts
Subscribed, I was born in '83!!
TexasClouds is offline Find More Posts by TexasClouds
Old Dec 03, 2012, 07:05 PM
Joined Nov 2012
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenh3497 View Post
A very talented young lady has set the bar pretty high if you ask me. Don't let her out do you
I think she has a competitive advantage, she is building the more modern laser cut model.
But I'm a very sloppy builder. I almost expect to cock something up big sooner or later.

Today I glued in my wing joiners. I hope I did it all right. They are now truly bonded with lots of epoxy. I wanted them extra strong.
I wish I had the finesse and patience to make them removable. But this will do just nicely.

As you can see I did not go for the Rube Goldberg like aileron linkage. As a nod to the 21st century I will use individual servos mounted in the wing.
build a servo holder in that place. I don't have any full size servos here for reference, so that will have to wait.

After I finish the webbing and shaping the leading edge, I will turn to the left wing. Nothing too excited for now I guess.

There is one stumble block. I would like to run the flaps lingage through a brass tube as described in the plans. But the kit came without them.
Where can I get hardware like that in the UK? Any tips?
Last edited by DeepThought; Dec 03, 2012 at 07:16 PM.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 07:11 PM
Joined Nov 2012
66 Posts
And also, I'm looking for good looking simple nav and strobe lights for the wings.
I don't want to glue in raw LED. I could not find anything at the regular model shops.
Any idea what looks good on a semi large balsa model?
Not sure I should ask this here. But I would like to get them in while the wing is still in pieces.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 03:01 AM
Joined Mar 2007
1,103 Posts
I just bought a strobe light set from Hobby King. About 12.

I'm awaiting delivery, so I can't comment as to their quality ... but other purchasers reckon that they are OK. These are proper-job Xenon bulbs, as I understand it.

Some time ago, I bought some high-intensity LED "strobes" from a bloike in Warwickshire, who goes by the name of "Lighting for Aeromodellers" (iirc) . They were about a tenner and do work very well. His web-site is a bit of a mess, though, so you'll have to wade through stuff to find what yo want. But, he does have some interesting lighting equipment.

My experience is that these things have a bit of novelty value ... unless you are planning on night-flying.
bogbeagle is online now Find More Posts by bogbeagle
Old Dec 04, 2012, 04:49 AM
Joined Nov 2012
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogbeagle View Post
Some time ago, I bought some high-intensity LED "strobes" from a bloike in Warwickshire, who goes by the name of "Lighting for Aeromodellers" (iirc) .
Yea, the page is just...
I like the red and clear light heads he has. I like them smaller, but that was good inspiration to go and look for the right ones at Farnell and co.

I know it's a total gimmick.
I get easily side tracked. Not sure I will actually go ahead putting those lights in just yet. At least I have the wires in already, that could be a pain to do later.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:44 AM
Joined Nov 2012
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepThought View Post
As you can see I did not go for the Rube Goldberg like aileron linkage. As a nod to the 21st century I will use individual servos mounted in the wing.
build a servo holder in that place. I don't have any full size servos here for reference, so that will have to wait.
I will have to order from SLEC again soon because I will run out of glue soon.
They have everything for the balsa builder. Except for those brass tubes.

I also found those nice servo mounts here. I think I will get those.
http://www.slecuk.com/catalogue/Serv...tml#aSL159_2dR
Good idea?

Alternatively I would just screw a servo on a thin ply plate which intern gets screwed in a hole on the wing bottom. I have drawn a little childish sketch of what I mean.
But really, that piece of plastic from SLEC would give me much cleaner results I think.
Please share your opinion if you have one.

Also, they have a product to treat the wood called Balsaloc.
http://www.slecuk.com/catalogue/Spec...ves.html#aSOL1
I'm a bit concerned about the balsa. It's very open pore and dry material. And not very stiff.
I sealed some load bearing areas with a coat of glue that I rubbed in the wood. That made a great effect, but is a total waste of good glue.
Are products like that a good idea to put onto a model? Or maybe something different?
Use liberal or just on areas that could get dirty/wet or are under heavy load?

[edit] I selected the wrong line in the list. I meant Aerokote.
Balsaloc isn't actually a lacquer like product. But I might still use it.
[/edit]

I'm just asking right now since I'm preparing to buy there. I might as well shop all parts I will need.
Last edited by DeepThought; Dec 04, 2012 at 10:00 AM.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 10:41 AM
Joined Mar 2007
1,103 Posts
You can just surface-mount your servos.

Dead easy.

Good access.

As long as it doesn't get covered in exhaust residue, there is no problem. If you are fussy, you can recess the servo a bit, leaving just the servo' arm protruding above the skin of the wing.

bogbeagle is online now Find More Posts by bogbeagle
Old Dec 04, 2012, 11:46 AM
Joined Nov 2012
66 Posts
Good point. But I think I will attempt something a bit more slick. At least as a first attempt.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 01:37 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,267 Posts
I usually make the servo mount out of some light ply. The ply then becomes the cover and servo mount. A slot is cut in the ply for the control rod to pass through.

Very easy to do and when you remove the cover the servo is attached to it so maintenance is very easy. I will sometimes glue some 1/16 balsa to the cover so I can shape the cover to the wing profile.

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old Dec 05, 2012, 06:46 AM
Joined Nov 2012
66 Posts
I will worry about covering, sanding and treating the wood later. Need to spread the cost anyway.

Will be busy building components for a while anyway. Yesterday evening I finished the right wing, except the servo mount and flaps.
With the flaps I had my first major screwup. I tapered the flaps the whole length and only later remembered that I had to cut a piece off that stays fixed on the wing in the center section.
That is the piece where the control rods run through. Now it won't glue to the wing.
Have to build a new one from a larger triangular piece.
Last edited by DeepThought; Dec 05, 2012 at 09:24 AM.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 12:32 PM
Joined Nov 2012
66 Posts
I looked at the import seal again. Turns out I got my dates wrong. It came in the country in 89. So she is quite a bit younger than I thought.

Today I received my tail wheel and main wheels (which where lost from the original kit).
I choose the biggest wheels I could get which are 127mm . I like the bush plane look they give.
I also got a bigger trailing edge triangular piece. Which I can use to correct my snafu with the flaps.

And I also noticed that I should have been more careful about the width of the wing. I just went with I got from the wing profile spars (Which I carefully sanded down to equal length first)
But somehow one wing got almost 3mm thinner. I will be able to compensate that with the Trailing edge piece in the center. At least optically.

Also, next time I would go with pre formed leading edges. It's easy to get a nice form on them. But it's very hard to get the same form on both wings.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:08 PM
Joined Nov 2012
66 Posts
Finished the wing and making good progress with the fuselage.

I thought I don't need to buy a fancy jig to build the fuselage. Wrong!
I totally underestimated the challenge of bending and gluing all those parts perfectly square. Especially my tail is probably totally warped now.

I have a few ideas how I could have done it differently. But really the main lesson is, gluing that stuff under tension along lines on the plans is nearly impossible by just eyeballing alignments and holding stuff with your hands.

It will fly...

Next job. Apply the balsa sheeting on top and bottom.