SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 07, 2012, 12:31 AM
wolfking
Canada, AB, Spruce Grove
Joined Feb 2012
21 Posts
I have heard of someone's expensive mico ornithopter being snatched away by a falcon
he probably did not eat well that night!
Wolfking44 is offline Find More Posts by Wolfking44
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2012, 07:48 AM
Proud of Brushless Sprouts
Belgium, Flanders, Antwerp
Joined Feb 2007
328 Posts
Birds don't do loops??

Tumbler Pigeon and Roller Pigeon would like to have a word with you guys:

Culbutes au ralenti de Culbutant Pie de Lausitz (1 min 10 sec)

Ok, ok technically they aren't loopings but admit it looks cool, here are some slo-mo's https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=AtwGH4nEEbc.

I saw a tv program about Belgian Tumblers once, they said they developed this skill to dodge hawk attacks... which pretty much corresponds with what everybody here does with their rc planes.
Also, they aren't very popular because a lot of them like tumbling so much they can't stop and continue until they crash into the ground.
Commander Clumsy is offline Find More Posts by Commander Clumsy
Old Dec 07, 2012, 03:50 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Nov 2005
1,957 Posts
lol that's funny
fly2bob is online now Find More Posts by fly2bob
Old Dec 07, 2012, 08:37 PM
United States, NJ, Browns Mills
Joined May 2005
1,918 Posts
Had a pair of hawks (red tails, I think) go after my warmliner, probably because I was near their nest.

One made a pass at my ship, whilst the other hung back. So, I hit the power and did a vertical "8". They didn't budge when I finished the first half-loop, but when I pulled up into the second loop, they both turned around and ran. Never had a problem with them after that.

CD
Captain Dunsel is offline Find More Posts by Captain Dunsel
Old Dec 08, 2012, 10:28 AM
Joined Dec 2012
31 Posts
I fly real helicopters and Osprey will actually attack the helicopter if you fly anywhere near their nest. We do agricultural work, which is usually where they nest. Mom and dad will even team up on you. One will fly close at the same level to distract you and the other will dive bomb you from above. Crazy. All you can do is stay away.
Ross1985 is offline Find More Posts by Ross1985
Old Dec 08, 2012, 04:10 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Nov 2005
1,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross1985 View Post
I fly real helicopters and Osprey will actually attack the helicopter if you fly anywhere near their nest. We do agricultural work, which is usually where they nest. Mom and dad will even team up on you. One will fly close at the same level to distract you and the other will dive bomb you from above. Crazy. All you can do is stay away.
That seems like a fatal move against a (full size) helicopter.
fly2bob is online now Find More Posts by fly2bob
Old Dec 09, 2012, 05:42 PM
United States, FL, Titusville
Joined Jan 2001
500 Posts
I have a fan fold eagle..48" wingspread ...the ospreys don't get along with young eagles (my plane is that size) .....I found this out the hard way.

I flew a little too close to their perch(didn't see them) and they attacked from the back. I instantly shut off the throttle and headed down....ending in a cartwheel landing. I didn't want to injure them...and avoided that with the forced landing.

I did chase some crows that were disturbing my thermaling. They scattered instantly when I looped and landed up behind them
Marked is offline Find More Posts by Marked
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:09 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,834 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly2bob View Post
That seems like a fatal move against a (full size) helicopter.
My little Kiki [see my prior post] was lucky and only got a banged foot from his two unnecessary encounters with my SMALL R/C heli while learning to believe me and not fly over one nor try to land on even slow-turning rotors ....

L
xlcrlee is offline Find More Posts by xlcrlee