HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by greyflight390, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 07:54 PM
United States, TX, League City
Joined Feb 2009
836 Posts
Discussion
The .25 powered trainer I designed

This is the little 4 channel trainer. I made one rib template and just started cutting wood and gluing.
The fuse is a little long but that wont hurt anything. I still had to add about 3/4 ounce of lead to the tail to balance it, so I certainly did not overbuild the back section.
When I went to but the wing on with all the servos in I found a major lack of planning on my part. The aileron torque rods would not clear the rudder and elevator servos. I solved that little mistake by building a bit of cabin area on top of the wing mount area. It actual looks better this way I think and might improve flight characteristics a bit.
greyflight390 is online now Find More Posts by greyflight390
Last edited by greyflight390; Dec 02, 2012 at 08:00 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 25, 2012, 06:32 PM
Joined Feb 2009
836 Posts
Clean up and rearrange

Rearrange and cleaned up the spare bedroom / work / plane storage room. It got so I could nit see the top of the card table I build on. But I had no place to put anything and start a clean up. So I made I trip out to my bud's storage garage. Took a car load out of that room and the little storage room on the patio. Brought back my big guy ( Super Tiger 300 powered ) plane.
I add a bunch of angle brackets up high to store planes on. Brought in the plastic storage bins form outside in the patio storage room and arranged them for easy access.
Then I cleaned the card table and rearranged the outside storage room for access to tools, sander and drill press.
Still more to be done, nut at least now I can work.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 06:38 PM
Joined Feb 2009
836 Posts
Plane storage.
There is room for a few more angle brackets for plane storage, not much more though.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 06:56 PM
Joined Feb 2009
836 Posts
Working on the funny wing

Once I got some table top visible I resumed work on the funny wing plane. Got the rear fairing done. It is just $tree foam board, paper off. Then Servos and engine installed.
CG checked and it was off by about 10 miles. No way to shift things enough to compensate. The forward sweep of 7" really throws things for a loop.
Much thought, Much debating of tossing the fuse and starting over.
Finally decided to to cut the nose off and add a new much longer section to the fuse.

So I cut the front off. Next I taped the motor and battery to a stick and with the wing wing I started moving the stick forward till I hit my desired balance point. Measured to the back of the motor and that is now were the firewall is.
Just cut some new front end sides, Glued 'em on added the fire wall Some more bottom sheeting. Still have to add splice doublers and stiffeners and tri stock to the back of the firewall.
But at least it is back on track again, and should not take much more work till it is ready for the maiden flight.