HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 02, 2012, 07:49 PM
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Nov 2012
9 Posts
Discussion
So what is my next Step ?

About a month ago I bought my son a 3.5 channel CX apache at one of those kiosks in the mall .. He loved it .. but so did I

So I bought myself a 4 CH CX ( Drift King ) and quickly became obsessed. My next purchase was an F106

Then moved on to a Xieda 9958 and V911 FP micros

My philosophy being .. learn to fly on the cheaper low mass birds then start working my way up.

My question now is what should I go for next ? I am thinking I should invest in a TX .. like maybe a Turnigy 9x .. so i can use a single TX for these birds ?

Was in Huntsville, AL yesterday and stopped in really nice Hobby shop there and took a look at a Blade 120 SR .. this size seems like the next logical step up in size and price for me .. or should I goe to something different like a 250 size ?
sierrabravokilo is offline Find More Posts by sierrabravokilo
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2012, 09:32 PM
Get to the choppa!
United States, PA, Pittsburgh
Joined Sep 2012
358 Posts
I bought the turnigy 9x. It is a good transmitter and if you are looking to build your own bird from a kit. But if you want to be able to bind to the ready to fly models you may want to consider going for something like a walkeria genius CP (micro) or Walkeria Master CP (250ish size) and getting the Devo 7 or Devo 8 (8 is better) transmitter that comes with it.

If you buy a turnigy 9x your next course of action should be a kit that you can build. I suggest going for a 250 or 450 size helicopter. I made a jump from the v911 to a 450, but you may be looking for a smaller heli to start. The rule of thumb is that the larger the heli, the more stable it is. Most would agree that a good balance between size and cost is a 450, it is larger and more stable but not too expensive if you crash. But learning is not as bad as some would make it out to be, if you use your training gear and have patience you will be flying soon. There is a good flight school at www.rchelicopterfun.com that has videos that you can watch.

Here are links to the kits that i would suggest. These will work with your reciever that comes with the turnigy 9x.

Trex 250 Pro: http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Carbon-Blades

You will also need a pitch guage and a swash plate leveling tool.

Trev 450 Pro V2: http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Carbon-Blades

Building your own helicopter will teach you a lot, dont cut corners, follow the directions and make sure you understand what you are doing. There are a ton of build guides on you tube that you can follow.

If you have any questions the people on this forum are very helpfull, if you like you can PM me and I will be happy to answer your questions if I can.
RFDelie is offline Find More Posts by RFDelie
Old Dec 02, 2012, 09:50 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,318 Posts
The Blade 120SR won't add anything to your current experience. If you are in US, the most logical choice would be a Nano CPX with a DX6i transmitter. Besides local available of parts and advice, you have also got Horizon Hobbies's highly aclaimed service and warranty.

One potential with getting a Turnigy 9X is that FlySky is about to change their protocol. One alternative would be to get a Walkera heli such as the Genius CP, MIni CP or Master CP with a Devo 10 transmitter. There is a third party firmware that will allow it to be compatible with Spektrum DSM2 and Turnigy 9 at the same time. However, you may need to do a small hardware mod in order to make it compatible with Turnigy.

Unless there is someone experienced you know who can give help you, I don't think you are at a level where you can build and fly a 250 or 450 safely and competently.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Last edited by zadaw; Dec 03, 2012 at 11:00 AM.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:29 PM
Get to the choppa!
Joined Sep 2012
358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
Unless there is someone experienced you know who can give help you, I don't think you are at a level where you can build and fly a 250 or 450 safely and competently.
Its not that big of a deal, I went from a v911 pro to a 450 sport and I had zero Heli building experience. You may have questions as you go, but figuring them out will help you gain experience. There are youtube videos and forums like this if you need help.

I love my 450 more than any of the rtf helis that I have and part of that is because of the fact that I built it myself from a box of parts.

Besides, if you buy a RTF kit your going to crash it and need to repair it anyway, its not like buying rtf gets you off the helicopter mechanic hook. But zadaw is right the devo 12 is the better walkeria radio. I have not looked into them in a while.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:40 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2010
1,025 Posts
Go with a spectrum 6 or 7 (or more) channel radio and avoid the 3rd party firmware and hardware mods.
Do a forum search and research walkera before you buy - they have a history of short model lifespans and you'll keep reading about needing to make mods on them right after you buy it. Parts are internet only.

If you're at the point that you're pretty sure you'll keep going, invest in a good simulator like Phoenix or Realflight. Those spectrum radios will work with Phoenix, I don't think the walkera devo will.

A 450 is too big for the living room. You won't be flying a 250 indoors for while. Just things to keep in mind.

Browse through blade.com and take a look at them.

I'd be thinking about the MQX, the MCP and the Nano cp.
karlik is offline Find More Posts by karlik
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:58 PM
FPV Noob KD0VMK
United States, MO, Platte City
Joined Jun 2012
766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFDelie View Post
Its not that big of a deal, I went from a v911 pro to a 450 sport and I had zero Heli building experience. You may have questions as you go, but figuring them out will help you gain experience. There are youtube videos and forums like this if you need help.

I love my 450 more than any of the rtf helis that I have and part of that is because of the fact that I built it myself from a box of parts.
I did the same thing...made the jump from the V911 to an HK450 that I built myself. I learned a whole lot doing it, made some mistakes, but parts are super cheap. Just get about $20 in spare parts when you order a kit, and you should have enough spares to keep you in the air for a few minor crashes.

I will admit though, that I had lots of flight sim time. So it wasn't like I was really making a huge jump from a v911 to a full CCPM machine, since i'd already logged many hours of flight time on the sim.

I haven't flown a 250 yet (i just ordered one for myself for xmas, not here yet), but I think most people would steer you away from them until you're competent with a 450. Apparently, the 250's are quick. They're also a little too big and have way too high of a headspeed to fly in your living room, so they don't really offer any real advantage over a 450 in that regard. Either way, you'll need to fly outside.
Chubbs is offline Find More Posts by Chubbs
Old Dec 02, 2012, 11:50 PM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
4,476 Posts
The impression i get from user comments on the 250 is that it's the hardest RC helicopter to fly, some even referring to it as 'for advanced pilots'. It's got the power close to a 450, with the 'touchy' controls of a micro. Imagine the number of times you've crashed your micro, but with enough force to actually slice through what it hits. I think of it this way:

T-Rex 250 class = Miniature 450
MasterCP = Oversized micro

I've also moved from a micro to a 450, but have no intention of getting a 250. I'm practicing on the GeniusCP and it's actually a bit harder to get it to fly smoothly instead of zipping around (i.e. get a 6ch GeniusCP to fly like a 4ch v911), hopefully the fine controls i'm practicing would translate to the 450 once i'm past hovering on that one.
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 03, 2012, 12:32 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,318 Posts
The flybarred 250 is probably among the hardest heli to fly. It becomes much tamer and a completely different machine if you install a FBL system in it. I have a Trex 250 and a Master CP and the Master CP is much easier to fly as far as beginners are concerned. It is also much more durable. The only big problem are the servos which are very prone to stripping but you can replace them with servos from another brand.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Dec 03, 2012, 12:37 AM
Get to the choppa!
Joined Sep 2012
358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajile View Post
I've also moved from a micro to a 450, but have no intention of getting a 250. I'm practicing on the GeniusCP and it's actually a bit harder to get it to fly smoothly instead of zipping around (i.e. get a 6ch GeniusCP to fly like a 4ch v911), hopefully the fine controls i'm practicing would translate to the 450 once i'm past hovering on that one.
I am ordering the 250 pro dfc super combo in about a week. I am looking forward to trying it out. I also heard they are like little hornets, but heard that the flybar'd versions are a little tamer.

I also have a heck of a time with my genius, i don't like how it piros and I go through servos like crazy. I can't seem to get the hang of it in 3 axis mode, but I am getting there in 6axis mode, but since I bought it my skills with the 450 have advanced considerably. If the 250 is that hard to fly it will not be good for beginners. I did point it out to him though because it was cheaper than the 450.

But if you learn on it and get good you should be able to fly anything.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 12:45 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlik View Post
Go with a spectrum 6 or 7 (or more) channel radio and avoid the 3rd party firmware and hardware mods.
Do a forum search and research walkera before you buy - they have a history of short model lifespans and you'll keep reading about needing to make mods on them right after you buy it. Parts are internet only.

If you're at the point that you're pretty sure you'll keep going, invest in a good simulator like Phoenix or Realflight. Those spectrum radios will work with Phoenix, I don't think the walkera devo will.

A 450 is too big for the living room. You won't be flying a 250 indoors for while. Just things to keep in mind.

Browse through blade.com and take a look at them.

I'd be thinking about the MQX, the MCP and the Nano cp.
100% agree. I sold all of my Walkera stuff because I got fed up with their short product life cycles. Constant model churning seems to be standard business practice in China, because most sales occur when the products are new.

The MQx, MCPx and Nano CP are a very good learning progression and parts will be readily available at most hobby shops.

You need lots of room to fly a 450, preferably an AMA club field. You can't fly these at the local park or playground because they can cause serious injury.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Dec 03, 2012, 12:56 AM
Get to the choppa!
Joined Sep 2012
358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
You need lots of room to fly a 450, preferably an AMA club field. You can't fly these at the local park or playground because they can cause serious injury.
Maybe its just my location, but about a block from my house is a park with two baseball fields (caddy corner diamonds), I have no trouble finding room to fly my 450. But I could just be lucky to have a good spot.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 03:05 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
Quote:
Maybe its just my location, but about a block from my house is a park with two baseball fields (caddy corner diamonds), I have no trouble finding room to fly my 450. But I could just be lucky to have a good spot.
It's not simply a matter of luck, it's more about liability. All it takes is to lose control and hit someone and you have a world of trouble coming your way. I'm sure you are an expert pilot and this could never happen to you, but what if a servo fails?
Old Dec 03, 2012, 03:13 AM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2010
1,025 Posts
Quote:
I also fly mine in a ballpark, but only if I'm all alone (right after dawn on a schoolday), or have at least one spotter. I don't trust my abilties with stupid people around, much less equipment. And even with a spotter, there's a point where I look for a more isolated spot. I get too distracted when my spotter says "there's a guy with a dog off the leash on the right, two kids on bikes on the left..."
karlik is offline Find More Posts by karlik
Old Dec 03, 2012, 07:18 AM
Get to the choppa!
Joined Sep 2012
358 Posts
Well I am not THAT good. But I rarely have to worry about other people, and if there is someone else using the field then I still have no trouble finding a spot with no people in it. There is a walking trail that goes along the perimeter, but the fields are sunk into the hilside so the walking trail is about 20ft above the fields. You have an occational dog walker there. On the other side of the walking trail there is a playground that is sometimes used. and on the other side of that is a large paved area which is used as a recess ares for the elementary school. This area is my last resort. If there are a lot of people there are two more ball parks within a mile of me that I can also go to. I have never had to go home without flying.

Another thing to consider is that when you are learning you do not need as much space as you do once you are flying circuits and doing acrobatics. I practiced my hovering in my front yard.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:27 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
I'm sure nobody purposefully flies where there is potential danger or risk. But, having adequate safe space is something beginners have to consider when moving up in size and it's often overlooked. I have two 450s I don't fly any more because the nearest space I would have to fly in is 30 - 40 minutes away. I switched to smaller helis and quads.